PDA

View Full Version : New 72 gallon tank (sand question)

mateo lopez
02/21/2007, 11:43 PM
Quick question, I am starting a new tank and I want to run a good reef sand, not the coarse stuff that I have now (agronite). What product would you recommend for me to run, I want a very natural look as well as take advantage of a deep sand bed for filtration 3 inch.

Thanks... :rollface: :rollface: :rollface:

The Grim Reefer
02/22/2007, 12:47 AM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=7321&N=2004+113554

There was a thread about a group Southdown sand buy. That would save you some serious money. Its about the same stuff

roguemonk
02/22/2007, 01:09 AM
Most experts recommend more than 3 inches for filtration, I believe. It is borderline. 4-6" is the recommendation I've heard. You can do it in a refugium rather than the display if you want to keep the sand bed shallower in the display.

Southdown, Oolitic, or Sugar sand is usually recommended and is ideal for sand sifters also.

HTH,

Brad

denverhoss
02/22/2007, 04:57 PM
I've done some reading here on the use of Remote Deep Sand Beds (RDSB) and I decided to take the sand bed out of my sump. I now have only a small amount of sand in the tank and sump, and I added an RDSB bucket to do the filtering. It's only been up a couple weeks and I don't test for the stuff it's supposed to get rid of, but RDSBs have the same filtering as in-tank DSBs without trapping fish waste.

mateo lopez
02/22/2007, 07:06 PM
thanks, I want to run the DSB for the look as well as for filtration. If we can get a group buy in place that would be great. Also once I get my tank plumbed and running I would love it if someone can hook me up with a couple of cups of some sand out of there tank to help the process out.

Thanks...