PDA

View Full Version : Question about tank cycling

Mr Neon
02/21/2007, 01:25 PM
Hey all! Eventhough I been at this for awhile I always seem to need to be re-freshed on what is going on.

I got a 30 gal reef with a refuge and sorts. It has been set up for little over 2-1/2- 3 weeks with cured LR and Chaeto in the fuge..I had added a damsel and 2 corals due to a breakdown of my other tank suddenly (I had no choice).

What concerns me or baffles me is what is going on to the cycling process and if it is on track or I need to do something..

I have the diatom blooms, the brown stuff is slowly going away...I tested the water and everything is fine excpet amonia which is reading about .025.. Salt is about 1.025 with RO water. Skimmer is skimming but not much crud so far...

I have been getting cloudly water during the day and then towards dusk it seems to clear after the HQI light goes out (150watt 10K) and it returns in the early morning...I assume it is a the process or maturing but just want to be sure if anyone knows...

Also...given I added a my Xenia and Green Star too early...I was fortunate that the green star is now just popping out slowly...but the Xenia shrunk to nothing but as of this morning in the cloudy water....I saw the stalks standing up..so maybe????

Anyway....I am wondering if I should just let this cloudy water pass and calm down or do a water change to clear things up...
The cheato is starting to show signs of growth in the refuge and snails and crabs are doing fine....LR has no dead spots or appears to be decaying either...

Any ideas???

Thanks

cmador
02/21/2007, 02:52 PM
What are your test results for Nitrite and Nitrate? As far as I know the only way to get rid of ammonia is water changes or using a product like amquel. Running carbon may help the cloudiness. I would do a water change and test again. I'm sure other, much more experienced reefers than myself will chime in here. Good luck.

serpentman
02/21/2007, 02:56 PM
Hey Ken, it sounds like something triggered a small cycle. The good news is it should pass. In the meantime, I would do some PWC's to combat the ammonia. Also, your skimmer might not be effectively removing Dissolved Organic Compounds from your water. I would consider running carbon until it passes which will clear things up.

Mr Neon
02/21/2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks Jeff...I just check it and it is even more cloudy...

I am thinking skimmer maybe part of the probelm..I am using a Seaclone that is from my old tank and it works but I have not had to empty the cup since the intial set-up which has got me wondering...

I plan on doing a WC today and see if that helps a bit....

Everything seems fine though in the tank....or is this the calm before the storm!!!LOL

serpentman
02/21/2007, 04:37 PM
Well, an algae bloom might be eminent at this point. However, if you keep the ammonia in check, I would expect that everything should pull through it.

As far as the skimmer goes, from what I read, the sea clones don't have a really good reputation. I know there are some mods out there that might help. Some people swear by them. IME, its worth the extra cash to get a good reliable skimmer.

Mr Neon
02/21/2007, 06:00 PM
Well I did a partial WC and changed skimmers...The tank orignally had a Finnex skimmer and I am now using it...I believe my Seaclone took a crap because it was poluted with debris in the whole chamber of the skimmer..no efficient as once thought when new..

I also trash my thermometer by accident in the sump...no good!!!but I have a back-up...

Is there any drop in thermometers that are say more low-profile or flat typwe that can lay on the bottom of a sump?

As for now the tank is clearing a bit and the new skimmer is skimming...should know more in day or two...