PDA

View Full Version : using dead rock in my tank???

Butchdawg14
02/20/2007, 08:12 PM
so im getting ready to put my tank together....by roomate has like 15 lbs of dead rock.....whould it be good to put that rock into my tank along with a peice of live rock so it will "seed" the dead rock.....

or

is it better the just buy all live rock???

thanks

garretsoccer2
02/20/2007, 08:30 PM
I would suggest ALL live rock, I tried the dead rock as a base in my tank when I started it and though there are some cool shapes, nothing really started growing on it including coraline algae up until almost a year after I set it up. It looks good now but it does take a while :)

zerillit
02/20/2007, 10:04 PM
I used a few dead rocks and it got coraline quickly. What kind of "dead" rock is it? Is it mined or is it from the ocean? Mined rock could have irons etc. and be detrimental to your tank, look for orange streaks going through it and clean well. The dead rock I used was mined & had to be cleaned well. If it is dead ocean rock what died in it? You don't want poisons of dead animals polluting the water either. In my opinion, what it really boils down to is how much time do you want to give your tank to cycle. It may take awhile before fish (or at least something other than damsels) can be added.

mateo lopez
02/20/2007, 10:24 PM
How old is the rock??? If it is dead (live) rock it would be fine. Clean it very well and it will get coraline and good coloring. I used a few chunks of dead (live) rock for base and within 4 months I'm getting good color on it. Look at lace rock, in a good system over a period of time it will become live.

Butchdawg14
02/20/2007, 11:03 PM
the rock was in a tank for over 2 and a half years and the tank was recently torn down and dried and now i was thinking about using it..........it is dead (live) rock

mateo lopez
02/20/2007, 11:26 PM
use it man... It will provide a great base for your true live rock.

Butchdawg14
02/20/2007, 11:47 PM
alright thanks for the advise

Clown-N-Around
02/21/2007, 12:49 AM
Yep ~ use it. Definately seed it with a piece of live rock or a scoop of live sand or something. It may take a little longer to cycle than all freshly cured live rock, but why let good rock go to waste!