PDA

View Full Version : Film Algae

tuckrule
02/19/2007, 01:07 PM
I have to say, that I have been real blessed the last few years. I have, for the most part been able to maintain pretty stable conditions in my tank. I would not have been able to do it without the help of the URS and the LFS's. Thank you both very much. I have had numerous compliments on my tank "mostly from fresh water aquarists", but a compliment is a compliment. I am starting to get a bit more pickier though.
I am under the impression, and I could be mistaken, that there is good algae, and bad algae. It seems to me that I am constantly battling film algae on my glass. I have to run the magnet across the glass daily, and scrape once a week, when I do water changes.
I am not leaching phosphates at all. My lights are brand new. Is there something I could be overlooking? Or is that just part of the fight? Do you guys constantly have to battle this or what?

Gary Majchrzak
02/19/2007, 10:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9280218#post9280218 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tuckrule
It seems to me that I am constantly battling film algae on my glass. I have to run the magnet across the glass daily, and scrape once a week, when I do water changes.
the green haze on the glass is microalgae. I wouldn't consider it "bad", but any algae that starts to get out of control is often referred to as "bad". Having to clear the glass once a day of green film isn't a good indicator- something is fueling that quick microalgae growth.

magdelan
02/19/2007, 10:57 PM
I was going throught the same thing when I was battling diniflagellates. Now I cleam my glass once every 3-4 days just for keep-up.

tuckrule
02/20/2007, 06:58 AM
What did you do?

Ellery
02/20/2007, 09:03 PM
I just increased water flow and added a RDSB and my Cyano problem is no longer :)

Bobtail1075
02/20/2007, 09:05 PM
Can you tell me if rdsb means

"Really deep sand bed"??

Thanks

sedorusc
02/20/2007, 09:50 PM
remote deep sand bed

Gary Majchrzak
02/21/2007, 08:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9292694#post9292694 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ellery
I just increased water flow and added a RDSB and my Cyano problem is no longer :)
film/smear algae is usually used to describe cyanobacteria (red slime), but in this case it sounds like tuckrule is referring to (green) microalgae growth... (?) and possible coralline (if it needs to be scraped).