PDA

View Full Version : Kinda OT: Ozone to remove cat pee smell?

mnestroy
02/19/2007, 09:22 AM
Does anyone know if this would work? I know they use professional ozone generators to get rid of smells associated with fires etc..

My darn cat pee'd in a corner and no matter what I do I can't get rid of the smell, so what if i just put my ozone generator laying there for a few hrs?

thx

DougSupreme
02/19/2007, 09:29 AM
get yourself an "ionic Breeze" (sharper image) we got one for my son's room because he has allergies, but everytime I walk into his room it smells nice and fresh

of course, he's only four. We'll see how it works when he's fourteen

Sk8r
02/19/2007, 09:45 AM
One of the best products for this is "Nature's Miracle", available, I believe, at Petsmart. It's an enzymatic cleaner, meaning it actually breaks down the odor-causing chemicals into non-odorous bits. It doesn't just cover the smell, it removes it. Ozone would probably help, ditto sunlight, but I'd bet on the enzymatic cleaners as faster and able to go where they need to, like down into the carpet without weakening fibers.

mnestroy
02/19/2007, 09:49 AM
I've dumped countless gallons/jugs of Natures Miracle and every time I vacuum or steam clean it stirs it back up....

As far as the Ionic Breeze, i've seen so many reports about how those units do do as much as they claim to do... is that true?

DougSupreme
02/19/2007, 12:03 PM
I dunno. We got it mostly to kill mold spores. He hasn't had as many sinus problems since we got it. I know, not exactly scientific data, but, just the same. I think we got our money's worth; we only paid $75 for it

fishgeeksrus
02/19/2007, 12:14 PM
Yes, I know that the ozone does work. I would think that you have to contain it in that area somehow.

pasion
02/19/2007, 12:33 PM
Best way to get rid of cat pee....

Get rid of the cat. :D

mnestroy
02/19/2007, 12:45 PM
Hmmm what will the ozone do to the carpet fibers?

It cant be as bad as the cat pee, and having been gone over 100times with a carpet cleaner right?? :)

Far as containing it, I could put a Tupperware tub upside down over the area... this should contain/concentrate the ozone, obviously there will be some ozone escaping, but if I do this will not at home and lock cats opposite site of house i don't think the excess ozone would hurt.

and getting rid of the cat might be an option if this continues :)

yznhmr
02/19/2007, 01:43 PM
the cat will continue to go there.. peal back the rug, and paint the plywood and surrounding with KILZ oil based primer, then clean the carpet/pad, and it should stop.. the wood has soaked up the pee, and will always stink. once i did this the smell was gone, and the cat stopped peeing there. ( I also had new carpet put down after ), but i had the same prob in the bathroom. it had soaked the base board and the underlayment. once i replaced what i could, and painted the existing, it never happened again. Has to be OIL based kind.

mnestroy
02/19/2007, 03:15 PM
Hmm I think i'd like to try the ozone first before I rip carpet up (Again)

I read somewhere they make something or u can put some type of hot pepper spray on that area and the cat wont go near it again...

Clearly this is a 2 part process
1. Stop it from smelling (I never realized how bad cat urine is)
2. Stop him from doing it in the future.

As far as cleaning the pad/carpet i did have it peeled back before and no matter how much water/soap or Natures Miracle i used it still came back (I read something about theres crystals in their urin and once it dries they can become airborne and makes it smell just strong as fresh urine)

This past weekend I must have used over 40gallons of water on this 3foot area (I emptied/filled carpet cleaner countless times) and every time I emptied the dirty water it smelled of urine just as bad as the first batch... So apparently you can't easily dilute cat urine :)

I'm still wanting to test the ozone, i see they make products (see below) for Fire Damage, mold removal, or other extreme situations...

This thing kicks out 28,000 mg of Ozone an hour, imagine how fast that would clean your fish tank :rollface:

http://www.air-zone.com/images/XT24000rs.jpg

yznhmr
02/19/2007, 04:56 PM
still.. you wont get it out of the plywood.. have to paint a 1' radus areound area affected.. it will seal it.. some people use Poly to do it, but i have used this method for 3 areas.. and we are good 2 yrs later..

mnestroy
02/19/2007, 08:05 PM
So your saying just paint the wood, don't try to clean the wood at all first?

mnestroy
03/01/2007, 11:02 PM
Well heres the status, I've tried countless products that claim to remove the smell...

None worked, I use the products as directed, and touch the carpet and smell my hand it I smell cat urine. (its not fresh urine either) So I did as suggested above, I pulled back about 5 feet worth of carpet and started painting the floor with Kilz, I'm on my 2nd coat the wood still smells!!!

The carpet and padding is also nasty!

I tried the ozone from my fish tank, I put a Tupperware bin upside down over the carpet and blasted 200mg/hr for like 8hrs one day.. no improvement!!!! (Maybe I need longer, I know ozone is supposed to be pretty powerful stuff)

I can not believe that I have met my match from a liquid expelled out of my pet.

At this point I'm losing hope and might have to take a saw to the sub floor and replace plywood... and I'm now debating if I should goto hardwood floors or tiles.

Any advice? I'm desperate.

yznhmr
03/01/2007, 11:21 PM
u used the oil kilz?

yznhmr
03/01/2007, 11:22 PM
i used that stuff in several rooms. it worked great, but it has to be the smelly oil kind.. the water based Kilz2 wont do it

mnestroy
03/02/2007, 09:08 AM
yah it was the Origional Kilz, the oil based one, maybe a 3rd coat will do the trick.

yznhmr
03/02/2007, 11:18 AM
you will have to throw away the padding, it will never be clean, cut out the bad area of padding, and put a new piece (its cheap)clean the carpet from the front and back and treat with the cat pee oder remover front and back.. and you should be good..
i used odor cide.. i think it came from Jewel..not positive

Whaledriver
03/02/2007, 11:51 AM
Just get some cheap polyurethane and drench the plywood with it til it won soak up any more. I mean just pour it directly on the wood.

Replace the pad it only a few bucks.

You wont get the smell out of the carpet. period, end of story
Do you have a closet with the same carpet or a scrap? If so try patching the carpet.

Bottom line make the cat disappear and get new flooring. Cats are marking their territory so he might be coming back after you clean?

mnestroy
03/02/2007, 11:59 AM
I think I might have to resort to patching, Lucky for me the previous owner left about 30feet worth in the attic... (Just gota learn how to do that now)

I'm pretty sure the cat is not doing it anymore, I suspect it was due to us not cleaning the litter box for a real long time, heheh

But I'm still frustrated that the Ozone idea didn't work, I've read several articles that ozone is used to get the smell out of house fires, or crime scenes etc...

Ride Red
03/02/2007, 12:26 PM
This happened to my X. No matter what, she couldn't get the cat to stop urinating on the carpet. The damn cat even urinated in my packed gear bag and stunk up a jacket before I left town for a Mac Race. She finally had to get rid of the cat and replace the carpet and pad.

mburnickas
03/03/2007, 07:42 AM
We use natural miracle for our rotties and pits. Works mint. It work, 99% of the time with anything from the dogs. We do use ozone in the house but NM works on my dogs #1, marrow bones, #2, throw up etc. Just follow the directions.

Whaledriver
03/03/2007, 10:38 AM
Don't forget ozone is dangerous!

mburnickas
03/03/2007, 11:54 AM
correct...just like anything in life

sunshinereef
03/03/2007, 10:39 PM
URINE OFF GETS RID OF THE URINE....