PDA

View Full Version : Other people interested in DIBS?

"Umm, fish?"
02/19/2007, 02:19 AM
Hey! Is anyone else out here a member of or interested in becoming a member of Project DIBS? If anyone else is interested, we could probably save some money by combining shipments.

Let me know!

DIBS links:

http://www.projectdibs.com/

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-02/bp/index.php

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/podcast-episodes/3574-project-dibs-podcast-episode-90-a.html

Madman133
02/19/2007, 02:58 AM
sorry i would love to but i just dont have time right now. Maybe over the summer i could help out with some of the expierements etc...

"Umm, fish?"
02/19/2007, 03:03 AM
Hey, no problem. I'm supposed to get a shipment as soon as we get any warm nighttime weather and thought I'd ask around.

Madman133
02/19/2007, 03:13 AM
yeah its been kind of hit or miss at night down here at least...sometimes it stays above like 45 other times it 10 and with out trusty weathermen we know exactly when the next snow storm is coming(cough sarcasm cough cough)

"Umm, fish?"
02/19/2007, 10:00 AM
I've been pretty surprised at how on 9news has been. They've been muuch more reliable than I'd have expected. After all, Colorado weather is pretty tough.

denverhoss
02/19/2007, 11:20 AM
I read some about that, sounds like a great project. What kind of shipment are you planning? Are you going to do one of the Challenges, or picking your favorite critter and seeing what you can do?

jonthefb
02/19/2007, 12:01 PM
is anyone interested in the course that Dr. Ron Shimek has planned? Sounds pretty interesting!

http://www.projectdibs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738

i think i might take the plunge!

"Umm, fish?"
02/19/2007, 04:33 PM
denverhoss--

I have some snails coming in. (Reproducing snails! I may not have to replace snails every few months! Oh joy!) And maybe some small brittlestars. My brittlestar population was decimated in my recent tank crash. And he's sending me a pocillopora for one of the challenges.

So, I guess I'm signed up for at least two of of the challenges: the pocillopora damicornis (I have two colonies now and a third on the way) and Thor amboinensis. I have a little sexy shrimp tank set up with a couple of them right now. I should have a few more coming in soon through the LFS. Brian's also thinking about trying to do Nassarius snails as one of the challenges and I think I've had a few reproduce in my display tank, so I guess I'm in on that one, too, if it happens.

I'm still very interested in raising corals from babies, so I'm going to use the techniques learned in the pocillopora challenge and try to apply them to other brooding corals.

Jon--

I'm signed up! Come on in. We can sit in the back and be the dangerous class cut-ups. :)

"Umm, fish?"
02/20/2007, 12:37 AM
Woohoo! The class is now up to two! Come on Jon, you know you want to.

Peer pressure to improve your mind.... Go figure.... :)

Clown-N-Around
02/20/2007, 12:36 PM
I think it would be great to get the club involved in this project.

I registered on the DIBS site and would be interested in coordinating shipping with you, Andy.

"Umm, fish?"
02/20/2007, 03:20 PM
Outstanding! I believe I have a shipment coming this week, depending on if the weather keeps cooperating.

Why don't you talk to Brian and see if he has anything that (a) would be a match for your tank and (b) is available to go in the box with my stuff? Oh, and don't be shy! Head over and introduce yourself if you haven't already! :)

Zooid
02/20/2007, 03:54 PM
I registered last week but I won't be ready for a while. I'm breaking my 75 and 55 down and combining it into a 200 and also setting up a 180 in my basement for frags. So soon I'll be interested :)

jonthefb
02/20/2007, 11:11 PM
i am totally signing up for the class!

"Umm, fish?"
02/20/2007, 11:51 PM
Cool! Let me know, Zooid.

Allright Jon! This class might actually make. Awesome!

"Umm, fish?"
02/23/2007, 02:28 AM
Hey Jon! Any clue when you are going to sign up? There's some concern about whether the course will have enough students, so one more would sure help....

Thanks!

jonthefb
02/23/2007, 01:41 PM
i will try to do it this afternoon or this evening, but i am definately going to do it

"Umm, fish?"
02/23/2007, 03:03 PM
Nice! Thanks! My copy of the textbook just came in this morning. BTW, Dr. Shimek says that the text is only recommended, so you don't have to shell out the money for it (I didn't know that when I bought it). But, if it's been a while since biology (as for me) it's probably a good idea.

I got it from one of the resellers on Amazon (used & new), so even new it was half the price that Amazon wanted for it.

"Umm, fish?"
03/04/2007, 12:23 AM
Hey Jon! Did you sign up? People are starting to get worried that the class won't make....