PDA

View Full Version : LR and DSB in Sump: Only filtration used???

brvheart
08/07/2002, 03:11 AM
Okay. What do you think of this setup?? I don't really want a DSB in my tank. This has been debated before, but I only have a 55g, and I really don't want 4-6 inches taken up with sand. I would like to have a display tank with a lot of open space. I will have some LR in the tank, but not your standard full load. Maybe about half the norm. Why, you ask? Because this is not a full-on reef tank. The problem is, I like the "natural" approach. I'm not fond of the wet/dry and the nitrates it porduces.

So anyways, what I would like to do is to have the biological filtration done in the sump.. A sump containing a 6" DSB and a ton of live rock. That could free up the tank from having to carry out the bio filtration. A skimmer would be used as well.

I know this method works. Tropical Paradise, a great LFS near my home has this setup for their SPS corals. They have about 800 gallons total. One tank with LR/DSB and another tank full of LR. The display tanks have nothing but corals on shelves.

So how many gallons of sump volume do you think I will need?? I would like to convert a wet/dry over to LR/DSB.

What are thoughts??

Thanks

Kenzy
08/07/2002, 04:05 AM
Shouldn't be a problem, but get the largest sump that you can fit in the stand. For the first year keep your bioload to a minimum until you have a feel for what this system can handle.

brvheart
08/08/2002, 01:21 AM
bumpity bump

Mike C.
08/08/2002, 03:25 AM
I have a 125 with a DSB and LR and I use LR in my sump also. I built a nice aquasculpture in the tank, but was concerned that I didn't have enough rock to be effective, so I bought some lesser quality misshapen rock and packed it into my sump. My water parameters are great and my tank has a nice open rock formation with lots of arches and caves. I don't think you should have any problems with your idea.

Mike

myakkareef
08/08/2002, 09:28 AM
I agree that it should work fine. I have a 125 that was bare bottom up till the last year. I have added about 1 inch of sand to tank recently just for looks. But i have run a DSB sump for about 2 years now with LR,Mangroves, Macros and lots of critters. Tanks parameters stay fine. I have recently added a number of brisstle worms to the tank to help keep the sand looking better and cleaner.

brvheart
08/08/2002, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the replies guys..

Do you use any additional filtration besides the LR and DSB? I'm assuming a skimmer is the only other thing.

Again, thanks for the replies. It's good to know it "works". I just wonder how big the sump will need to be. I can probably fit a 20-30 gallon sump in there. That will be a good 50% of the display tank size.

slipknottin
08/08/2002, 08:53 PM
LR is a pretty crappy filter. not very effective for its size at all.

a DSB is far better than LR... though they compliment each other when used together