PDA

View Full Version : Lighting!

Justinnn
02/18/2007, 11:14 AM
I'm interested in knowing how long others keep their lights on. I have an oceanic biocube and I have the whites and the blue actinic's on an 11hr timer. they shut off and the moon light stays on all night. SHould i have this moon light shut off too. Is it enhancing the growth of algae?

sir_dudeguy
02/18/2007, 11:21 AM
my actinics come on first, then an hour later so do my daylights. I run the daylights for 10-12 hours, then shut them off and leave the actinic on for an extra hour. The actinics are mainly for a morning evening affect, rather than full out daylights just slamming on, but if you cant do that dont worry about it. It just seems to make corals take longer to open if you just turn on straight up daylight right away.

Justinnn
02/18/2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks. That helps. Do you ahve a moon glow affect on yours? and if so do u usually leave that running at night?

sir_dudeguy
02/18/2007, 09:34 PM
i did have a moonlight on my 40, and my brother's got moonlights built into his light fixture on the 29. But i took my moonlights off (they actually fell in the water and i havent really tried them since then yet...).

But i left them on all the time. They dont promote any growth or anything, and they're LED's so they last years. You dont see it when the other lights are on. I just left them on all the time....one less timer i gotta buy, you know?

dont confuse the moonlights with the regular blue actinics.