PDA

View Full Version : 450watt MH ballast???

justinm0424
02/16/2007, 10:15 PM
I bought an ebay mh ballast and i've had it setup for a while and just noticed it's a 450w ballast. It looks like it was taken out of a warehouse or something. Currently i'm using a 400w 20k hamilton bulb and it's very white. Is it ok to keep using this ballast and overdriving the bulb?? I only have a 36 gal tank and have very strong lighting. Any suggestions???

BruiseAndy
02/16/2007, 11:56 PM
M144 ballast?
would be quite a difference one is pulse and the one you are supposed to have is a probe start. Know what type of ballast it is. A data plate or ANSI could would be helpful. Exactly how long is awhile? It would worry me that the bulb would burn out pretty quick, don't think it would blow up or anything just not do what its supposed to.

Need to change your sig to read 450w mh btw :D

hahnmeister
02/17/2007, 01:36 AM
First of all, is there an actual code on the ballast... like an ANSI rating that starts with an 'M'? This will tell you what type of bulbs it can run.

It sounds like a 400watt HQI ballast, which in the US is really nothing more than a MV ballast (there are no true 400watt HQI ballasts made in the US... they use other similar ballasts).
You can check here...
http://members.fortunecity.com/paulerik/id33.htm
If things get confusing, contact PaulErik (thats his webpage, and he is a regular member here with the lighting info).

IT sounds like you are using the equiv of a 400wattHQI ballast though, and if so, you might want to look into HQI rated bulbs so they last longer... not the typical probe start bulbs you prolly have. The list is short, but mighty...

Ushio/ BLV nepturion (non-CWA models) 10,000K, 14,000K, 20,000K... Aqualine 10,000K, Aquaconnect 14,000K, and all of the Giesemann 400watt Moguls are HQI rated as well. These bulbs are designed to take the higher current of HQI ballasts. But I would look for an actual rating and contact PaulErik here to be sure. Perhaps if you could post a pic of the information plate thats on the ballast?

justinm0424
02/17/2007, 01:53 PM
It says m14 and the last number is blank then 450W metal halide. I'm assuming it's a m144. Also it had 71a6393 as it's item number. I googled it and got this:
http://atlantalightbulbs.com/ecart/nw012104/71A6393-510D.htm

It looks a lot like that picture

hahnmeister
02/17/2007, 02:05 PM
Hmmm.... not sure what M144 is, its pulse start halide, but Im not sure about the exact rating. You should PM PaulErik.

unclefrosby
02/17/2007, 02:10 PM
I have the best growth and color with my new system. 400watt hqi sunlight supply electronic galaxy ballast with a lumenarc reflector with RADIUM 20k bulb, mogul of course. The Radiums and XM 20k bulbs were made for overpowering they last a pretty long time overdriving them and you may not know it but a lot of people that farm frags online use this system, I should know I run the AtlantisAquarium.net facility we have found the best growth and consistent color with this combo. Hope it helps.

hahnmeister
02/17/2007, 02:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9265940#post9265940 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by unclefrosby
I have the best growth and color with my new system. 400watt hqi sunlight supply electronic galaxy ballast with a lumenarc reflector with RADIUM 20k bulb, mogul of course. The Radiums and XM 20k bulbs were made for overpowering they last a pretty long time overdriving them and you may not know it but a lot of people that farm frags online use this system, I should know I run the AtlantisAquarium.net facility we have found the best growth and consistent color with this combo. Hope it helps.

There is so much wrong with that paragraph I dont even know where to begin...

-400watt HQI and electronic ballast are mutually exclusive terms at the present. No e-ballast runs bulbs to the true HQI spec... I wish there was such a thing.

-There is no such thing as a 400 watt Radium, let alone HQI

-The 250watt radiums are HQI rated at 270watts, but the '400s' are actually 360watt bulbs that burn out within 6 months, even on an e-ballast.

-XM 20,000K bulbs are not pulse start either... they are probe start and therefore not HQI rated.

The list of true HQI (high-pressure, pulse start) rated 400s is in my second last post.

justinm0424
02/17/2007, 04:23 PM
I believe i've had this light setup for about 8-9 months. Should I just replace the bulb or would it be better to get an actual 400w ballast and bulb. I'm in college and don't have much spending money so the cheapest easiest route would be best. Also if i get a new bulb and ballast should I just get a 250W since I only have a 36gal tank?

Thanks all for your help!!!

hahnmeister
02/18/2007, 03:05 AM
Contact PaulErik... he will know.