PDA

View Full Version : genex snail?

caliMako
08/06/2002, 01:24 PM
Ok so im showing signs of brown algae.. kind of a rusty algae growing everywhere.. I heard that turbo snails and astrea snails work great on cleaning this up. went to the lfs the other day.. all they had were these snails called genex (spelling?). obviously the owner tells me they are better than other snails. they seem to be chomping away at the algae, but then again its only been one day. can someone ellaborate on this snail.. the spelling maybe? the pros and cons?

thanks for the input..

calimako

SushiGirl
08/06/2002, 01:26 PM
LOL...sounds extremely familiar, but it conjures images of slacker snails that I just can't get past!!!

griss
08/06/2002, 01:38 PM
Never heard of them, can you describe what they look like? Or better yet, get a pic?

Griss

SushiGirl
08/06/2002, 01:42 PM
oh oh oh! I got it...is it MUREX snails???

SushiGirl
08/06/2002, 01:55 PM
Hey, griss...just ran across another post you made referring to this thread http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46180&highlight=murex+snail

caliMako, maybe you should check out this thread & see if this is what you've got...then get rid of them if it is!

griss
08/06/2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by SushiGirl
Hey, griss...just ran across another post you made referring to this thread
Looks like we are on the same page today:D

Griss

caliMako
08/06/2002, 02:04 PM
this is what they look like
http://www.anchofish.com/snails_cowries/snail_banded_purple.htm

so they are trochus snails.. i dont know why they call them genex snails. oh wells.. must be a marketing scheme.

any pros and cons? the lfs said its cool because they can flip back upright if they flip over.

thanks for the info

calimako

griss
08/06/2002, 02:22 PM
IMO Trochus are the best snails you can buy. The are good algae eaters, won't knock corals over like Turbos and can flip over if the fall unlike Astreas. In fact, I just ordered 25 of them today:D

Griss

rainiermt
08/06/2002, 04:25 PM
Griss- where did you order yours from? I havent found them anywhere!

griss
08/06/2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by rainiermt
Griss- where did you order yours from? I havent found them anywhere!

Etropicals.com has Trochus for $2 and Tiger Trochus for $3.

Griss

dc
08/07/2002, 07:17 AM
I just got a bunch more from liveaquaria. I had bought a couple and they have lived over a year in my tank, surviving a heater malfunction and everything.:D

coachgail
08/07/2002, 08:36 AM
Must say that I got about 30 from etropicals. Like them but don't let them send you blue legs! I got about 10 bluelegs and 20 green legs (common) in a batch I ordered before I knew the eveil of hermits. Oh well, my frineds hawkfish was happy to help!