PDA

View Full Version : Solaris Lense. Have you checked yours?

ppht
02/16/2007, 09:15 AM
I have had my Solaris for about a month or more. I was looking at the lense for salt creep and noticed it was pretty dirty. When I took it out it had a good collection of dust in the inside of it from the fan ventelation system. After I cleaned it it looked better than I thought it looked.. Made a big difference. (Dont say you must have a dusty house) lol.
So I was wondering, have you checked yours? Do others see the same thing? I was thinking also the lexan lense staticlyu might attract more dust as well...

ReefWraith
02/17/2007, 03:03 PM
I haven't noticed any dust... but did take mine down the other day to clean salt creap off the lens. So far no dust issues and I've had it running for over a month also.

ReefWraith

ppht
02/17/2007, 03:50 PM
is your tank at home or an office?

ReefWraith
02/17/2007, 04:52 PM
It's actually at my home office... so a bit of both! :D I don't think the owners would approve such a tank in the leased (main) office.

ppht
02/17/2007, 04:58 PM
Ahh Same here, The reason I ask is how is your HVAC is it a newer construction where the tank is located? I have a new addition on my home but the tank is where the old HVAC units are and I am wondering if there is just more dust in the air in that area because of an older forced air system.

ReefWraith
02/17/2007, 07:59 PM
I thought that's what you were eluding to. :cool: The home office is older (late 70's) construction and the heat is hydronic via oil fired burner. As for AC it's a split unit that I put in last summer. We'll see what happens this summer but there doesn't seem to be a large amount of dust in the room.

ppht
02/18/2007, 09:57 AM
Okay, Maybe my filters need a change. I have low dust but it might be collecting there. Also I have a canopy around it but the air flow is good but maybe not good enough. During the day what is the operating temp of your lights at it's highest? Mine is 90 to 92 F...

ReefWraith
02/18/2007, 12:12 PM
I've seen mine get up to 98 and even 100. The unit shuts down at 120... .or is it 130.... I don't recall. Mine is also in a hood of sorts.... but the top has long slots in it to release heat and I keep the front open unless I've introduced a new fish... like a fairy wrasse or some other jumper.

ppht
02/18/2007, 12:22 PM
OKay Thanks for the info...!

ReefWraith
02/18/2007, 12:29 PM
No problem! That's what this board is all about. :D Enjoy your Solaris and post any changes in corals/inhabitants... for better or worse as it's good to compare notes and setups to learn just how LEDs will effect our tanks.