PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend Quietest Skimmer & pump (in-sump)

Canarygirl
02/14/2007, 05:36 PM
Hi all,

I have a new 40 gallon reef tank set up in my living room. It's on a dresser with the sump directly behind the display tank. Hardware floors everywhere so sounds are amplified.

Currently I've been trying to run an Evolution 500 downdraft skimmer and mag drive 9.5 skimmer pump. The noise is making me crazy not to mention my poor fish. I have to turn it off after an hour because I can't stand it anymore. So far I've tried putting those rubbery pot holders under the pump and the skimmer but it doesn't help enough.

Can anyone recommend the absolute QUIETest, reliable, well-made skimmer and pump for a small system like mine? Compact in size is a big plus too. I'd like it rated up to a 100 gallon tank.

Thank You for your help!

sjm817
02/14/2007, 05:45 PM
Tunze 9010 would be a good one

beatle
02/15/2007, 11:59 AM
The only skimmer I've owned is an RO NW-150. It is incredibly quiet, which was one of my goals. If you're running it on a 40g, a NW-110 would suffice. It's a bit smaller than the NW-150.

pjf
02/16/2007, 12:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9242753#post9242753 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Canarygirl
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend the absolute QUIETest, reliable, well-made skimmer and pump for a small system like mine? Compact in size is a big plus too. I'd like it rated up to a 100 gallon tank.

I have a Tunze 9010 in my 29-gallon sump that services a 75-gallon display tank. The Tunze is quiet, reliable, well-made and compact. It collects a cup of wet skimmate daily from my 104-gallon system. A plus is the service provided by the Tunze forum at Reef Central. Roger Vitko of Tunze answers every thread.