PDA

View Full Version : bulb orentation??????

andydavis141
02/14/2007, 04:08 PM
does anyone know if it matters what direction my bulb should be when i screw it in? i've heard horizontal and vertical, i've even heard it dosen't matter. can some one tell me whats up!
thanks

bertoni
02/15/2007, 02:25 AM
[welcome]

I'm not sure that I understand the question. When running, the bulb will be more efficient if it's horizontal over the tank. Other than that, it doesn't matter.

andydavis141
02/15/2007, 05:00 PM
hey thanks for the comment. so the internal mechanics of the bulb need no specific orentation, just screw it in. my bulbs are horizontally mounted, but i read somewhere the elements inside should line up some how? no biggie thanks again

bertoni
02/15/2007, 10:03 PM
The bulb doesn't care about any angle or alignment. I'm not sure what elements you mean, but the reflector and the bulb need to be reasonable closely aligned. Visible inspection is more than accurate enough for that.

mojo_jo_jo
02/15/2007, 10:25 PM
Are you talking about the nipple on the arc tube? I've heared that you dont want it facing up cause the gasses inside the tube will collect inside the nipple and cause it to change the light spectrum. Now, i'm not sure that all that is true... but i try to keep the nipple of the arc tube on a slant of about 45 degrees.

Let me know if thats what you were talking about... cause i could be way off. but what else is new... ;)

dc_909
02/15/2007, 10:54 PM
I don't think it matters. According to the spec sheet for my Iwasaki 15ks, it doesn't make a difference. It only matters in the horizontal or vertical positioning.