PDA

View Full Version : Longsnout Butterflyfish?

eqmidnite
08/05/2002, 02:59 PM
Hello all,

I just added a new addition (first real addition) to my 55 gal FO tank: Longsnout Butterflyfish.

Ok, I bought him under the premise that he was a Caribbean Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish. I did a lot of research and found that the Longnose does not live in the Caribbean (Forcipiger flavissimus), but my LFS reassured me it was a Longnose (it's very similar in appearance...coloring is a bit different...it looks like a yellow/orange/white juv. Longnose). After watching it's behavior and feeding habits, I didn't believe it was a Longnose (and the lingering fact that it only inhabits the Red Sea and Indo-Pacific region). It turns out to be Chaetodon aculeatus, the Longsnout Butterflyfish. I can find zero information on marine tank care for these guys. Is it extremely difficult to keep? Should I ask for a refund and find a fish more suited to my skill level? He seems very lively right now and is picking at my live rock, but hides whenever I enter the room (he'll come out after a while as long as no one makes large movements). Any info would be MUCH appreciated...I'm looking out for the well being of the fish here...

eqmidnite
08/05/2002, 05:58 PM
Ok, I received a bit of information on this fish, and will post it just incase someone else comes across one.

Lives at depths of 40-100 ft in the Caribbean. Extremely weary of divers, collectors (making him expensive the majority of the time). Extremely hearty for a butterflyfish, and does very well in a fish only tank with live rock (eats most types of coral). Feed him brine, mysis, plankton, and other meaty varities. Grows to only 3 inches. Very peaceful.

http://www.mikan.sakura.ne.jp/~iwa/StCroix/part1/LongsnoutButterflyfish.jpg

What do you think of him?

zebrasoma17
08/05/2002, 06:05 PM
On the internet check at www.fishbase.org and at www.wetwebmedia.com where Bob Fenner has it listed as Prognathodes aculeatus.

According to Gerald Allen in Butterfly and Angelfishes of the World Volume 2(1979 Wiley-Interscience); "The Caribbean Longsnout Butterflyfish is distributed throughout the West Indian region from southern Florida to Curacao...Most collections and observations of this species have been at depths between 20 and 30 meters...where the habitat consists primarily of large head-forming corals, sponges, and alcyonarians. It is generally a solitary species, but sometimes moves about in pairs. The young occasionally form aggregations of eight to 10 fish. The diet apparently consists largely of small crustaceans and other invertebrates...This species is popular in the aquarium trade and is sometimes sold under the name 'Ross Butterflyfish'. It is a hardy species that is easier to keep than most butterflyfishes."

The charts at the back of the book indicate a temperature range of 70-82 degrees and a maximum size of four inches.

According to Burgess in Butterflyfishes of the World(1978 TFH); "Chaetodon aculeatus normally inhabits moderate to deep water, being most abundant at 15-55 meters....Its elongate snout is apparently a modification to select small invertebrates from the crevices of corals and among other normally inaccessible places such as between the spines of sea urchins."

Although I personally have no experience with this fish I do recall that they were fairly regularly available some years ago. A friend who used to own a LFS used to get them and told me that they were pretty hardy but didn't sell well because of their drab coloration in comparison to many other butterflies.

HTH

Al

naesco
08/05/2002, 08:43 PM
It is kind of a drab looking fish. As you were misled by your LFS I would return the fish.
I would not start this hobby on butterflyfish.
Hold off, get a good book like Robert Fenners, Concientious Aquarist, read it and start with some easy fish to keep otherwise you are asking for problems.
Get advice from this board before you buy.
Good Luck

eqmidnite
08/06/2002, 09:55 AM
I don't know. I don't think he's "drab", he's actually quite beautiful...looks like a setting sun. And he's so energetic! And eats EVERYTHING...from brine to tetra flakes. People say he's one of the easiest to maintain butterflies out there. A lot of fish are overlooked because they dont' draw the instant "ooohs and aaahs", but some will just keep people fixated to the tank (heck, I've stared at single snails for long periods of time...they can be facinating).