PDA

View Full Version : acrylic tube update

checkinhawk
02/13/2007, 06:44 PM
i wanted to let all of the people who are going to get some of this pipe know where im at.as of now i have all the base plates cut the top plates are rough cut and need to be routered and drilled for bolts(when we assemble them).i stayed after work for an hour today to do some the machining to the flange rings.i still need to groove the flange rings for an o-ring gasket.i should get this done by friday(i need to go get some gaskets before i cut the groove).here are a few pics to show you what the parts look like.
this weekend is my birthday so i doubt we could build them this weekend but maybe we can plan to get together the following weekend and build these suckers.
here are the parts
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/checkinhawk/new%20tank%20pics/Picture707.jpg
this pic shows the flange ring on the pipe
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/checkinhawk/new%20tank%20pics/Picture708.jpg

checkinhawk
02/13/2007, 06:48 PM
also i found some perferated polypro sheet.we can use this for the plate that the media sits on.i will cut them to fit the ID of the pipe.polypro is a great material in that there is no leaching problems.we use this material for work we do at transitions optical(they use RO/DI water all over the plant and everything is polypro)

Emster
02/13/2007, 07:26 PM
What are you making? That looks nice.

checkinhawk
02/13/2007, 07:34 PM
calcium reactors

brucem
02/13/2007, 07:47 PM
Looking good I can't wait

A.T.DAWG
02/13/2007, 08:30 PM
after building these are you selling them on here or something?

checkinhawk
02/13/2007, 08:32 PM
no,we are not selling these.just making a few for the people who responded to my earlier post

ReefArtist
02/13/2007, 09:35 PM
That is cool checkinhawk - were you able to get the measurements? These are going to look very nice!

checkinhawk
02/13/2007, 09:45 PM
i got some of what i needed.i need to get the exact numbers for the buble counter.

mflamb
02/13/2007, 09:55 PM
Cool, I'm in for Saturday the 24th if it's good for everyone.

checkinhawk
02/13/2007, 09:59 PM
that will probably work for me.we are going to need some tools to do the final stuff.i can bring a trim router and bits.if someone has a portible drill press that would be great,but a drill will work if need be.the pump to the calcium reactor has a uniseal for the connection.i dont know who has these local maybe FAOIS?

Emster
02/13/2007, 10:16 PM
You can get the uniseals from a place near Orlando. I think if you order in the morning you will have it by the next day. I can get you the name if you need it. I got the catalog around here somewhere.

mflamb
02/13/2007, 10:24 PM
What size uniseals do we need? And how many total? I'll order them for us all.

checkinhawk
02/13/2007, 10:36 PM
ill find out the size tomorrow as far as how many like 10 max.

ReefArtist
02/14/2007, 08:56 PM
The 24th sounds good to me also, where do we went to do this? I'm game for just about anywhere including my house.

cstires
02/14/2007, 09:09 PM
the place is called aquatic eco systems. Their link is below:

http://www.aquaticeco.com

poknsnok
02/15/2007, 06:54 AM
where's this little git together gonna be?. id like to observe..

mflamb
02/15/2007, 09:31 AM
Yo Joe,
We'll ride over.

checkinhawk
02/15/2007, 05:30 PM
mflamb the uniseals are the 1/2" ones.

mflamb
02/15/2007, 07:15 PM
I ordered 10 of the 1/2" uniseals.

mflamb
02/15/2007, 07:16 PM
Which pump are you planning for?

checkinhawk
02/15/2007, 07:22 PM
i was going to get the ehiem 1048,this is the same pump used on the geo 612 and 618.

mflamb
02/15/2007, 07:55 PM
Can't beat an eheim in that size pump.

ReefArtist
02/15/2007, 08:25 PM
What all are we making? Mainly Calcium reactors? I needed two - not to be a hog but two tanks = two of everything :( .

checkinhawk
02/15/2007, 08:30 PM
i got ya :thumbsup:ill have two set ups for you.

ReefArtist
02/15/2007, 08:45 PM
Cool thanks checkinhawk, and thanks for the xenia and the lights last night. RC meeting at your house LOL - it was nice meeting everyone.

brucem
02/15/2007, 08:50 PM
What time is everybody thinking about doing it and where.
I have my daughters birthday at 2:30. Just wondering

Thanks Bruce

ReefArtist
02/15/2007, 09:10 PM
Not sure where but everyone is welcome to come to my house (Largo). I don't have the tools but I do have work tables in my garage. That's were my clay studio is located so I have lots of work area. One table is 10', two 5' and one is 4'. Any ideas where we'd like to meet?

ReefArtist
02/15/2007, 09:14 PM
Oh and any time is good for me - 7am to whenever. I'd say start at 10 and work till we're done - any other ideas?

robthorn
02/16/2007, 07:04 AM
hey who's design are you going to copy? if your doing this you might as well do it right and not copy a geo. the geo's are fine but add alot of extra co2 to your system causing alot of problems. a mix of the geo and shuran would be so much better. you need to trap the co2 and recycle the unused portion. this will keep algea problems and low ph to a minimum.

ReefArtist
02/16/2007, 07:54 AM
Actually the GEO is a great system and that's the reason we chose it. There are a few people here in the area that has them without algae or problems. Their tanks look great so I think algae problems is not always one source. Way over feeding, not cleaning at least once in a while are just a few of the factors. As far as low PH with the GEO I've not hear that but will be looking into it.

ReefArtist
02/16/2007, 08:15 AM
Not found a thing about it causing algae growth or low PH, but I'll keep looking.

ReefArtist
02/16/2007, 10:20 AM
Now I remember why - it was a long time ago when we stated this but the memories are starting to come back. We have a GEO readily available to get the dimensions and being that it is a very good system decided to go with it. I like their one chamber design with less gas in the reactor and the effluent. I have the HP controller and all you have to do is dial it in and it should be good to go. Just regular maintenance and monitoring like any other system.

robthorn
02/16/2007, 12:22 PM
you don't understand what I am saying i guess. co2 in water is acidic which will in turn lower your ph at least some. it has to it's just the way it works. co2 is also needed for algea growth. I am not saying it will be a sole cause or that it will even cause a problem for sure but it can. why not do something to prevent it before it happens is my way of thinking. not that I always follow my own advice like an idiot. you won't find much info about it because in all honesty most people in the hobby don't understand the effects of co2 when mixed with water. I wouldn't know it unless i had trouble with it myself.
the geo and honestly all other reactors that do not recycle the co2 are marginal at best. maybe geo has copied now but I just haven't seen it. if you look at a shuran it is a pretty easy modification to make when your in the building process. I owned a geo and so did several people I know very well and we all had trouble with them for one design flaw or another.
where do you plan to regulate the effluent? this is another issue with geo reactors last time I saw one. hopefully he has changed it since I last saw one.
not trying to say my way or someone else's way is the only way I am just trying to help you not make the same mistakes I made along with many others.

mflamb
02/16/2007, 12:53 PM
I borrowed a drill press for next Saturday.

checkinhawk
02/16/2007, 01:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9257598#post9257598 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by robthorn
you don't understand what I am saying i guess. co2 in water is acidic which will in turn lower your ph at least some. it has to it's just the way it works. co2 is also needed for algea growth. I am not saying it will be a sole cause or that it will even cause a problem for sure but it can. why not do something to prevent it before it happens is my way of thinking. not that I always follow my own advice like an idiot. you won't find much info about it because in all honesty most people in the hobby don't understand the effects of co2 when mixed with water. I wouldn't know it unless i had trouble with it myself.
the geo and honestly all other reactors that do not recycle the co2 are marginal at best. maybe geo has copied now but I just haven't seen it. if you look at a shuran it is a pretty easy modification to make when your in the building process. I owned a geo and so did several people I know very well and we all had trouble with them for one design flaw or another.
where do you plan to regulate the effluent? this is another issue with geo reactors last time I saw one. hopefully he has changed it since I last saw one.
not trying to say my way or someone else's way is the only way I am just trying to help you not make the same mistakes I made along with many others.
ok so what makes the other reactor better and what is the differece in design?oh and the guy with the geo had a shuran i believe,and it didnt keep up with his calcium demand.

ReefArtist
02/16/2007, 02:13 PM
"I borrowed a drill press for next Saturday."

Hey mflamb,
That is great, do you know of any other tools we need?

robthorn
02/16/2007, 02:35 PM
check, the shuran collects unused co2 in the top of the reactor and then through a 1/4 inch tube reinjects it at the inlet to the water circulation pump. it uses much less co2 than the standard knop,geo, next door guys brand reactors.
do you know what model shuran he had? the pico with alot of work will keep up with a full blown sps I think around 175 gallons or so. that is average it could be more or less. meaning without having a meltdown you can burn the entire chamber in around a month. a lot of work meaning having to refill it all the time. you can of course make the reactor chamber any size you want and that will determine the volume of calcium available per gallon of water in your system. then it also matters how low the ph is run by how much co2 you inject and how much water runs through the reactor. their are alot of variables with ant reactor style you use. if the guy had the right size shuran reactor for his tank he obviously doesn't know how to run it. or at least when he had it he didn't.
I had a jetstream 1 on my 265 that was barely even running. once things started growing well towards the end I had to bump it up a little bit but I only burned one 5 lb bottle of co2 in 9 months or more. the geo will be much more than that for obvious reasons. my shuran was so stable I didn't even have to run a controller with it. the geo would clog up the effluent and then melt down a large portion of the media and then you had to take it apart and dump the sediment. after burning the entire chamber in the shuran there is zero sediment in the bottom. it is sitting in my garage until monday night if anyone wants to look at it. I tell you what I will do . I will take some pictures of the shuran so you can see what it's about. I will post them tonight or tomorrow in this thread.

ReefArtist
02/16/2007, 02:46 PM
thanks robthorn that's some good information. If you could get the photos that would be great.

checkinhawk
02/16/2007, 05:29 PM
i believe he had a pico model on his 90g sps and he wasnt able to maintain his levels anymore.now with the geo it holds around 425 ppm cal.

robthorn
02/16/2007, 05:42 PM
the pico is tiny kind of like the knop. it should still keep up with a 90 though. if you feed it enough you could make it work on a 600. you would have to add media every week but you could make it work. if you want to you can melt a complete chamber in only a couple days. not the way your supposed to run it but it can happen. off to take some pictures.

robthorn
02/16/2007, 05:51 PM
ok here are the first pictures.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/robthorn/DSCN2526.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/robthorn/DSCN2527.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/robthorn/DSCN2528.jpg

robthorn
02/16/2007, 05:58 PM
the stuff in the bottom besides the media is detritus. I took my socks out for a couple days for the heck of it and had nothing to filter the junk out before it went into the reactor so there it sits. after that I put my carbon in front of the reactor to keep the junk out. you are supposed to run slow through carbon anyway and it seemed to work out.
more pics
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/robthorn/DSCN2529.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/robthorn/DSCN2530.jpg http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/robthorn/DSCN2531.jpg

robthorn
02/16/2007, 05:59 PM
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/robthorn/DSCN2533.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/robthorn/DSCN2534.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/robthorn/DSCN2535.jpg

ichthyman
02/16/2007, 06:01 PM
Rob is right if your going to copy one might aswell copy the best. All of the C02 issues he has brought up are correct. If a Schraun Pico wouldn't keep up with a 90g then it was not used correctly. As Rob stated, you can burn down an entire reactor chamber in a week if desired.

checkinhawk, what media was your friend using?

robthorn
02/16/2007, 06:02 PM
ok I think I made a mistake when explaining. I thought the co2 was injected going into the pump but it actually happens after the pump but before the reaction chamber diffuser.
on the bottom right there is a blue line. that is where the co2 comes in from the tank.
the red one in front of it is the recycled co2 coming back to where it started

Emster
02/16/2007, 06:12 PM
I have a tank full of sps and my schuran is just loafing. It is so strong you really have to keep an eye on it. It can shoot that alk up in a hurry. I really need to get a controller for this thing. I love it.

checkinhawk
02/16/2007, 06:18 PM
wow i didnt know this would spark a big debate.i already have the pipe and other stuff i need.so im not changing the design.end of story.i have alot of time and labor to make this stuff so why change it now.john i dont know what media he had.if anyone that wanted one of these would rather build there own unit or buy one thats fine with me ill just wont cut the pipe.so speak now or forever hold your piece.

brucem
02/16/2007, 06:45 PM
We could also do it at my house. I have a drill press also and have a compressor and alot of tools and plenty of workbench space. If we could be done be like 2:15. let me know I'm up for whatever

Bruce

ReefArtist
02/16/2007, 07:05 PM
No please don't change mine we are ready to go. We talked about this before and the GEO is a great system and easy to use. I think it'll keep my 75g and 65g tanks happy. Actually what I might do is build a Schraun later on and test the two. I have two tanks and treat both tanks the same - it would actually be a great test. But right now I want to build two GEO's and get my Calcium up where it needs to be.

ReefArtist
02/16/2007, 07:10 PM
Hey Rob thanks for the photos and information - those are great. I've only skimmed the top of understanding the calcium levels and how it relates to other parameters. I had a CO2 system on my freshwater tank for years, it was easy to adjust and maintain. This is all new to me but I'll catch on at some point.

mflamb
02/16/2007, 07:16 PM
I'm still in, and I still have a drill press.

robthorn
02/16/2007, 08:23 PM
sorry if it seems like a debate. a debate wasn't my intention. it was only to show you what you could have before it was too late and already built. I don't really like the way the shuran chamber is put together and it could be changed to whatever you want. I wouldn't do an exact replica myself but I would take the operational concept and run with it. mainly the recycling of the co2.
as john stated the media makes a difference also. the shuran media clogs less.
do what you want of course but the effluent should be regulated as it enters the reactor not when it leaves like geo does or did. if you do it as it leaves it is more likely to get clogged and cause a melt down.

robthorn
02/16/2007, 08:25 PM
hey reef that freshwater experience is great and if you remember correctly it was probably a planted tank and the co2 was to help the plant life grow right? it does the same for algea.

ReefArtist
02/16/2007, 08:30 PM
Yes it was Robthorn, my planted tank was wonderful once I added the CO2 system. I tried growing different types of plants with better lighting/additives etc, nothing worked until I added the CO2 system.

checkinhawk
02/16/2007, 11:33 PM
well the problem is it is too late.i WILL NOT go do this stuff again.i have more than enough time and energy invested(possibly wasted).i understand you are trying to help,but the help would of been better taken by me 2 weeks ago when i started the thread.not after i cut materials and stood in front of a lathe for hours machining acrylic.

ReefArtist
02/17/2007, 07:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9260514#post9260514 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by checkinhawk
wow i didnt know this would spark a big debate.i already have the pipe and other stuff i need.so im not changing the design.end of story.i have alot of time and labor to make this stuff so why change it now.john i dont know what media he had.if anyone that wanted one of these would rather build there own unit or buy one thats fine with me ill just wont cut the pipe.so speak now or forever hold your piece.

Hey checkinhawk we all agreed that we are going with our original design. I like it and it seem mflamb, you and myself have indicated this is the way to go. So anyone else that has not spoken please do so now. Checkinhawk has done a wonderful job with these - I saw it in person. Beautiful cuts and lathe work and all I want to say is thank you checkinhawk for all this work and no we are not changing your design. End of story.

I'm going to see you and mflamb today - I hope! Checkinhawk I have something for you so I hope you can make it! Oh and mflamb I also have something for you - so I have a new job - deliveries!

mflamb
02/17/2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the delivery ReefArtist!!!
Thanks for the pumps and all the info ichthyman!!!
And definitely thanks for the acrylic work checkinhawk!!!
I'm definitely looking forward to the assembly.
Oh yeah, you too trigerfish.

checkinhawk
02/17/2007, 03:00 PM
no problem mflamb,it was nice to meet you and i am looking forward to the build.

ReefArtist
02/17/2007, 07:33 PM
Yeah, it's really nice to put faces with the names. I had a wonderful time talking with you both and I'm looking forward to the build!

mflamb
02/17/2007, 07:38 PM
ReefArtist, I checked your site. How big is that Tonga Blue Mushroom???
Has it created any little ones yet???

ReefArtist
02/17/2007, 07:44 PM
The one in the pic is between a size of a quarter and half dollar, and yes it did have one little baby that's the size of my picky tip :). It doesn't grow fast that's for sure.

ReefArtist
02/17/2007, 08:13 PM
Mike thanks for checking out my web site. I'm sizing some photos now of a few new fish and corals I've purchased and Checkinhawk gave me (Thank you checkinhawk). I'll have them posted some time tomorrow. The new fish are Lubbock's Fairy's Wrasse, Wetmorella nigropinnata (Possum wrasse) and two Stonogobiops yashia (Yashia White Ray Shrimp Goby).

I just received my domain name (ReefDiversity.com) so now I can really have a reef site. I think it would be fun to put some of the DIY information on it.

mflamb
02/17/2007, 08:17 PM
When you're ready to sell one of the blue 'shrooms, let me know. That color is incredible!

ReefArtist
02/17/2007, 08:42 PM
I don't think you'll be paying anything to me - knowledge is worth a lot in this hobby. Once it gets large enough for your tank it's yours :).

mflamb
02/17/2007, 09:35 PM
:rollface: WOW!!! VERY COOL!!! :rollface:

checkinhawk
02/17/2007, 09:46 PM
thank you reefartist for you know what :D :D i cant wait to get them in.

ReefArtist
02/17/2007, 09:53 PM
I just finished the last one - can't touch it or even look at it until tomorrow. We'll see then - and again THANK YOU for all the corals and help. The Xenia's look wonderful, I'll be posting new photos tomorrow on my web site. Everything is starting to come together :D.

We'll have to talk about what all we need to get for the build. I can do some running around to pick things up during the week if needed.

mflamb
02/17/2007, 09:56 PM
checkinhawk...you have an original!!! I can't wait to see it where it belongs!!!

checkinhawk
02/17/2007, 10:00 PM
i know im so excited.i will be on the mill monday cutting out the openings for them.:thumbsup:

brucem
02/18/2007, 07:49 PM
Did any settle on a time and a place and what do I need to bring

ReefArtist
02/18/2007, 07:55 PM
I Bruce yes somewhat. We'll meet at my house possibly next week depending if we can gather all the goods. Checkinhawk has been doing a lot of work on it and if he can get the final touches done then it will be Saturday. We can start any time in the morning, something like 9 or 10.

mflamb
02/18/2007, 08:24 PM
I'm excited about building these reactors!!! I plumbed in my skimmer pumps today. Check my thread for new pics. I'll be water testing this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Hawk'ster
02/18/2007, 10:39 PM
ReefArtist,

I saw that tonga blue at Johns or one just like it.......sweet:D

checkinhawk,

My old reactor was knop c

robthorn,

I have been using the reactor since 1998. My tank was using more CA and ALK then the reactor can kick out without the c02 binding and locking it up. If there are trade secrets or tricks, please share them with us so maybe someone else can correct the problem before they go out and buy a new reactor when the do not have to......Like me

The GEO has a PH Probe adapter so you can run a controller on it.

ichthyman,

The media I was and still using is knop koralith I had a surplus of it.

Now for the GEO 618 I love this reactor. Before I was going to drop some serious cash on a new reactor I did a ton of research on the GEO and SHURAN pros and cons on both. I chose the GEO FMPR. I have the controller to shut off when the ph reaches 6.2 in the reactor. If anyone is worried about to much Co2 which I do not think you will, just add a second chamber. I have the effluent dripping out of the reactor @ 30mls a min. The efflunet CA is 510 and the ALK is 6.30 The tank is maintaining CA @ 410 and ALK @ 3.40 ph is 8.1 during the day and 7.9 @ night. I can live with this. The Knop was dropping my ph to 7.8 during the day and 7.6 @ night.

Now lets move on to something serious like red bugs...would anyone like some:lol:

Here are a couple of pics of the reactor and my tank.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p40/kubinski/IMG_0651.jpg

Paulhttp://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p40/kubinski/IMG_0690.jpg

left side
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p40/kubinski/IMG_4549.jpg

right side
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p40/kubinski/IMG_4548.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p40/kubinski/IMG_4550.jpg

checkinhawk,

I hope you had a great b-day :cool:
If you need to come by, just give me a ring.

ReefArtist
02/19/2007, 05:58 AM
Hawk'ster Your tank looks beautiful! With all that growth I think you need a taller tank :D. Thanks for all the information, it's always nice to hear from people that are using the product and have a beautiful tank to back it up. Proof is always in the true results and your tank is saying everything.

Yes I purchase the Tonga from John - couldn't resist :D.

robthorn
02/19/2007, 11:22 AM
hawk the tank looks great. they all work I never said they didn't. some are better than others is all. like I said i had the geo and it was ok just not as good as the shuran.
co2 binding? not sure what you mean by that? the melt downs were from the effluent clogging. myself and my other friends that had the exact same 6x18 geo reactors aren't the only ones that had the trouble. you have had a geo reactor since 98? i could have swore he had only been making them a short time when we bought ours from him . learn something new everyday. I think we bought ours in 2002 or so. then again he didn't start using eheim pumps til after we bought ours from him? hmmmmm? did you do the conversion from the mag pump to the eheim?

checkinhawk
02/19/2007, 11:26 AM
rob ,hawkster hasnt had the geo since 98,he has run a reactor since 98.he just bought the geo a month or 2 ago.and his has the ehiem pump on it.

robthorn
02/19/2007, 12:07 PM
gotcha I was confused there. yeah the knop isn't like the shuran and won't likely keep up with his stock load. back in 98 though the knop was top of the line and I think the very skimmer geo copied.
the reverse flow was their idea if I remember correctly. by copy I only mean principle not cosmetics

The Hawk'ster
02/19/2007, 05:17 PM
ReefArtist,

I thought so, I went back to get it and it was gone.:sad2:

robthorn...thxs

Co2 binding / maybe I chose the wrong wording. What would happen is that I would increase the Co2 BBM to dissove the media but not increase the effluent enough to compensate for the additional Co2 (did not want to flood the tank with Co2)in return this would cause a airlock or air bubble at the bottom of the reactor.

checkinhawk
02/19/2007, 05:31 PM
thats ok hawkster,i went to FAOIS today and the blue monti digis he had were gone.why didnt i buy one saturday while he had them.stupid me............

checkinhawk
02/21/2007, 06:25 PM
update...........as far as i can see we are still on for saturday.i am going to work my butt off during lunches and breaks the rest of the week to make sure i have the stuff ready.i still need to find some more sheet,i may have to go with 1/4" instead of 3/8"but this would only be for the base plate.all flange rings and top plates will be 3/8".i cut most of the pipe and they will get machined flat friday.

ReefArtist
02/21/2007, 07:03 PM
Whoaaaaaa - we are getting close! Don't cut yourself to short we can always do it the following weekend. If you need any help what so ever - just give me a call! I can't wait to get this on my tank!

checkinhawk
02/21/2007, 07:34 PM
im just trying for this weekend cause everyone has the time then.i can lose a lunch or two to get it done i dont mind.i know i will forget something(as far as parts) but i can always make mine later if need be.

ReefArtist
02/21/2007, 07:42 PM
I'm not concerned about the small parts, just like you I can always pick that up. Plus I have lots of small parts and lots of plumbing connectors of all sizes - not that it's what we need because it seems like it never is :D. I think the main thing is getting the basic body and getting it all machined, other parts can come later.

ReefArtist
02/21/2007, 07:44 PM
What type of screws will we be using for the Flange? I think the GEO had - looked like some type of plastic but not sure.

mflamb
02/21/2007, 08:08 PM
The box of uniseals came in today.

checkinhawk
02/21/2007, 09:30 PM
cool does it tell you what size hole to drill for them?

mflamb
02/22/2007, 07:17 AM
No instructions. I'll email savko and ask.

ReefArtist
02/22/2007, 08:54 AM
Well I figured I better start getting things arranged for the build.

Here are reactor builders so far:
checkinhawk/2’
bruce/3’
mflamb/8’
reefartist/4’
warnberg/5’

Here are the reefers that mentioned they would like to look on. Everyone is welcome to come by and watch, but if you would like lunch please let me know:
poknsnok – Just looking on
MLIVVY – Just looking on
reefguy069 – Just looking on

So who ever is coming please PM me or put your name on this thread and I'll PM you with my address and phone number.

Lunch will be served - OK - I don't cook but we'll have Sandwiches, chips and something like baked beans you know the picky nicky type of stuff. Just let me now so I can get a head count and have food for everyone. As far as drinks - please bring what you would like. I'll have bottled water, Diet Coke, Lattes (They're good) and that's about it.

Everyone is welcome - just let me know so I can give you my address.

This is going to be FUN!!!

ReefArtist
02/22/2007, 08:56 AM
Oh, I forgot - this Saturday 24th and starting I'd say 9:30 - 10ish.

mflamb
02/22/2007, 02:02 PM
The uniseals require a 1.25 inch hole. Do you want me to get a drill bit/hole saw?
poknsnok can't make it.
PM me your address please.

poknsnok
02/22/2007, 02:22 PM
sorry.. would rather be there. I have a funeral to attend

Ah64av8tor
02/22/2007, 02:25 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Joe.

Checkinhawk you have PM

ReefArtist
02/22/2007, 02:41 PM
I'm sorry to hear that also poknsnok, I was hoping to meet you.

Ah64av8tor - You know with all those tanks of yours, you could use a few of these reactors. Might need to make some room for us on Saturday - you're more than welcome.

poknsnok
02/22/2007, 03:04 PM
My bosses dad passed

ReefArtist
02/22/2007, 03:07 PM
MFLamb, I have a 1-1/4 Brazed Diamond Hole Saw and I have a few drills (1 battery and 2 or 3 electric). If the hole saw I have will work we can us it.
I have lots of screw drivers, pliers etc and also a table saw with a 10" 90 teeth or 10" 200 teeth carbide saw blade. So if any cuts need to be made on the acrylic - these blades make a very nice cut.

No need to buy or bring anything if I have it - but just to make sure if you need pics of anything just ask.

checkinhawk
02/22/2007, 05:29 PM
i can bring a hole saw for the uniseals if need be.i will try bring an assortment of taps and drill bits,and a few other things.

Warnberg
02/22/2007, 05:32 PM
Hey... are we forgetting glue? If we are I will be out and about tomorrow and can pickup anything we need, need to know what and where?

checkinhawk
02/22/2007, 05:42 PM
.i have weldon#3.it is water thin and wicks well.i have only used weldon #3,#4,and#16.3-4 are water thin and 16 is like model airplane glue.i dont think we need weldon 40 like they use on tanks.if you would feel better using a different weldon than #3 then get some.i fell confident they will seal fine with #3 since they have machined ends.if you want to buy some i think you can get it from GE plastics on 49st n.

checkinhawk
02/22/2007, 05:48 PM
can someone supply a jigsaw?i am trying not to take too many tools from work.

Warnberg
02/22/2007, 05:51 PM
I have a small jigsaw.... what blades do we need?

checkinhawk
02/22/2007, 06:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9309120#post9309120 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Warnberg
I have a small jigsaw.... what blades do we need?

ones that say plastic on them.i would rather them have less teeth than more,i think something like 8-10 tpi works well.

Warnberg
02/22/2007, 06:12 PM
You know where I can get them from?

ReefArtist
02/22/2007, 06:25 PM
I have a 2-jig saws and I have blades, I also have a can of Weldon #4. I have the blades for acrylic, I think they have a coat of green and blue something like that. I'll go out and look at them.

ReefArtist
02/22/2007, 06:47 PM
Ok - they are green and gold acrylic blades. Here is a photo of them:
http://www.undergroundartstudio.com/images/Misc/Jigsaw_Acrylic_Blades.jpg

checkinhawk
02/22/2007, 06:55 PM
those should work fine.

checkinhawk
02/22/2007, 07:38 PM
hey warnberg see if you can get weldon #40 from GE.i think we will need it for the top fitting of the reactor.since we are cross linking 2 plastics it would be best to use #40.

Warnberg
02/22/2007, 07:42 PM
Ok, Done deal....

mflamb
02/22/2007, 08:30 PM
Is there anything else I can bring other than the drill press and uniseals???

checkinhawk
02/22/2007, 08:38 PM
if you can bring a 7/8" and 1 1/4" hole saws that would be great.

mflamb
02/22/2007, 08:42 PM
Any particular tooth configuration/tpi???

checkinhawk
02/22/2007, 08:50 PM
i dont think you can get them with fine teeth but if you can thats great.normal hole saws will work fine otherwise.

brucem
02/22/2007, 08:51 PM
let me know if I can bring anything

mflamb
02/22/2007, 09:09 PM
Cool, will do.

checkinhawk
02/22/2007, 09:11 PM
bruce,im sure ill have a brain fart tomorrow and forget something,so just keep checking in after 5 tomorrow lol.

The Hawk'ster
02/22/2007, 10:12 PM
can i watch??

checkinhawk
02/22/2007, 10:21 PM
sure why not ....the more the merrier.check your pms hawkster

checkinhawk
02/23/2007, 06:23 PM
ok everyone i think we are ready.i have the stuff in my truck waiting for the morning.i made us a pattern to use for all the flange bolt hole drilling and for making some round discs from.here it is
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/checkinhawk/Picture768.jpg
here is what the bodies will look like assembled
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/checkinhawk/Picture766.jpg
and the o-ring gasket seal
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/checkinhawk/Picture767.jpg

Warnberg
02/23/2007, 06:26 PM
SWEETNESS

ReefArtist
02/23/2007, 06:40 PM
Nice job checkinhawk! What a nice job on that o-ring seat. Is there anything else you can think of we might need.

checkinhawk
02/23/2007, 07:22 PM
i cant really think of anything.but im sure someone will go to home depot and get it anything i might have forgot.

ReefArtist
02/23/2007, 07:26 PM
Yea, we have one just a few miles from the house and also a Hammerheads Ace Hardware that's about 2 miles. So we should be good to go!

checkinhawk
02/23/2007, 07:28 PM
does anyone have a hobby shop or somewhere near them they can get some 5/16"od clear acrylic tube from?i dont have this and we will need it to make the bubble counters.it isnt critical we have it but it would be nice if we did.

ReefArtist
02/23/2007, 07:36 PM
The Hammerheads Ace Hardware might have it. If no one has a hobby shop I could check their in the morning. I did have a hobby shop on EBay but I'm not sure if they are still there.

Ah64av8tor
02/23/2007, 09:36 PM
Hey guys and gals, I just came across my CO2 bottle and Reg if any one needs it let me know.

mflamb
02/23/2007, 09:53 PM
Greg,
Are you not going to use it on the 150?

checkinhawk
02/23/2007, 10:11 PM
oh i know what we need.i forgot to get some 1/2"pvc pipe,one stick should be more than enough.just get the thin wall stuff no need for sch-40.

Ah64av8tor
02/23/2007, 10:26 PM
Mike I was thinking of just going with my Kalk reactor and 2 part, I'm trying to keep the # of pumps down to a minimum.

cjgalante
02/23/2007, 10:48 PM
I have a 40 lbs co2 bottle if anyone is interested lit me know!

Chris

mflamb
02/24/2007, 07:39 AM
I'll pick up the pipe this morning.

cjgalante
02/24/2007, 05:20 PM
I just wanted to say thanks again. It was great to meet everyone today!

Chris

Warnberg
02/24/2007, 06:22 PM
What a GREAT build! Here's a sample of the workmanship:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/579/59601DIY_Reactor2web.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/579/59601DIY_Reactor1web.jpg

ReefArtist
02/24/2007, 06:26 PM
Whoops! Sorry Dave I didn't realize you were logged in to my system :D. Thanks Dave for the nice pics! I'll be posting more as I go through them.

ReefArtist
02/24/2007, 06:41 PM
I would like to thank everyone that came today. What a bunch of great people. Thank you all for letting us use your tools - brucem and checkinhawk very nice tools. Checkinhawk thank you for having the patience to step us through the build and for doing all the major mill work! These are very professionally built systems. Here is a list of all the Tampa Bay Reefers that participated today - Thank you all for making it a success!

Checkinhawk
brucem
mflamb
reefartist
Warnberg and his son
cjgalante
The Hawk'ster

I hope I didn't forget anyone.

checkinhawk
02/24/2007, 07:10 PM
yes it was a very fun time.thanks for all the compliments on my work :D .i did enjoy getting together and helping everyone out.now we just need to get one of these suckers up and running to see the end results.here is my unit minus one ehiem pump.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/checkinhawk/Picture770.jpg

mflamb
02/24/2007, 07:22 PM
What a fun day!!! And what an education in acrylic work!!!
Here's my almost finished calcium reactor and 3 almost finished media reactors:
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/mflamb/DSC00135.jpg
And a visitor that wandered up while we were working:
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/mflamb/DSC00133.jpg

checkinhawk
02/24/2007, 07:24 PM
hey its the egret,that was kind of strange how he approached us so easily.

mflamb
02/24/2007, 07:38 PM
Yo Chris, definitely thanks for all the preparation work and tools. And Carol and Robin, thanks for the hospitality and a great workshop and tools. And Bruce, tools also. And Chris, and Dave and son (can't remember his name), and hawk (can't remember his name either), good to meet you guys. I'm over 40, I have an excuse!

ReefArtist
02/24/2007, 07:42 PM
Hey that's one of my nosey neighbors. Those look sweet mike, you'll have to show us how you finish your media reactors.

checkinhawk
02/24/2007, 07:47 PM
when i look at the picture mike posted you would swear you are looking at $800 worth of equipment.ok ill pat myself on the back now :lmao:

mflamb
02/24/2007, 08:46 PM
You can pat away buddy. I think it's the deal of the 390 build. I contacted John about some pumps. He will let me know Monday.

checkinhawk
02/24/2007, 09:43 PM
so you asked him about the ehiems?if he can get them let me know ill take one of the 1048's.

ReefArtist
02/24/2007, 09:53 PM
So will I - Might as well get them local much less problems in the long run. We can see if he can get a deal if a few of us needed them, don't you think?

checkinhawk
02/24/2007, 09:56 PM
never hurts to ask.............

mflamb
02/24/2007, 10:03 PM
We'll see Monday...

checkinhawk
02/24/2007, 10:24 PM
i have an idea for the bubble counter.grab a 1/4"jaco fitting
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/checkinhawk/Picture777.jpg
take off the nut
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/checkinhawk/Picture778.jpg
now drill a 1/4"hole through the center of the jaco fitting
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/checkinhawk/Picture779.jpg
and slide you co2 outlet line into the fitting like the sample i show and tighten the nut.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/checkinhawk/Picture780.jpg
i mdont see any reason this wont work.what do you guys think?

checkinhawk
02/24/2007, 10:27 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/checkinhawk/Picture781.jpg

ReefArtist
02/24/2007, 10:38 PM
That would work. We would have to make sure it was sealed around the hole. You don't want the water overflowing through the hole and spraying everywhere - and it would spray like a squirt gun. It would be easy to seal. Good idea checkinhawk - I might go with it!

checkinhawk
02/24/2007, 10:40 PM
it cant leak it would have to get past the seal inside the jaco fitting.it has a nylon compression fitting so no leaky.it basicly is how they seal the ph probe so it will work.

ReefArtist
02/24/2007, 10:49 PM
That's what I was just looking at - the ph probe. I might have to make a hole for my Probe. I have the controller that will shut it off at different levels. I can either do it in the reactor or controller in the tank - I think Hawkster does it in the tank.

checkinhawk
02/24/2007, 10:50 PM
dont worry i can do it for you when i do mine.bruce is dropping off an old ph probe so i can find the right fitting for it.

ReefArtist
02/24/2007, 10:52 PM
Cool that sound good to me. Do you think it's better to monitor the PH directly in the reactor?

checkinhawk
02/24/2007, 10:54 PM
im not sure i need to read up on it.but since the geo shows it in the reactor id assume it needs to monitor the reactors ph.

ReefArtist
02/24/2007, 10:57 PM
Yea, they went to a lot of trouble if it's not the best place to control the CO2 and PH levels. I'm going to look at a few others but I do think it's the best way to go.

mflamb
02/25/2007, 07:24 AM
Lots of folks want to monitor pH in the reactor to avoid pH droping too low in the reactor and turning all the media to mush. I think, I'm going to do a small effluent box that drips into the sump and measure pH their and in the tank.
I like the bubble counter idea.

Warnberg
02/25/2007, 07:56 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone again for everything.

Warnberg
02/25/2007, 07:58 AM
Just noticed to post from me with pics.....

:lol:

thats too funny..

I logged in to show some of my pictures but never logged out...

ReefArtist
02/25/2007, 08:46 AM
OK - I finally was able to go through all the photos I took (100+) so I thought I'd post some of the hi-lights. I'll have the complete process posted on my website later this week.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/579/1322231_ReadytobeDrilledWeb.jpg
Here's a stack of flange bottoms ready to be marked and drilled.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/579/1322233_DrillPressMakingHolesWeb.jpg
Using a drill press and a special bit the holes were drilled into the flange.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/579/1322236_FlangeattachedDryingWeb.jpg
The flange bottoms then were attached to the 6" acrylic tubes using Weldon #3 and #16.

ReefArtist
02/25/2007, 08:53 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/579/1322237_LotsofRactorsWeb.jpg
The reactors with bottom part of flange attached waiting for the next stage.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/579/13222311a_RoutingOutFlanges2Web.jpg
To get the nice finish and a very even round flange, each flange top was routed with a finishing bit.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/579/13222312_MlangeCenterHoleDrillingWeb.jpg
Then all the holes were drilled using the drill press - this pic is showing the center hole being drilled.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/579/13222314_DrillingSideHoleAcrylicWeb.jpg
This is how we drilled out the side holes on the acrylic tube. Checkinhawk was the expert in this process.

ReefArtist
02/25/2007, 08:59 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/579/13222316a_AttachingBaseToUnitWeb.jpg
The base was then attached to the body of the reactor using weldon #3 and #16.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/579/13222317_DIY_ReactorTopFlangeWeb.jpg
Here is a reactor with the base and bottom flange attached - Looking GOOD!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/579/13222321_TopFinishedWeb.jpg
This is the completed flanges and plumbing - note the routed edges on the flange - Sweet!

Thank you everyone for a very successful build!

ReefArtist
02/25/2007, 09:01 AM
Oh - just to let everyone know - it did snow in Florida last night - at least in my garage :eek1:

The Hawk'ster
02/25/2007, 09:36 AM
ReefArtist,

I just like to thank you for the wonderful hospitality and generosity for hosting this project build for everyone. It was nice to put a face with a name.

checkinhawk,

You did an awesome job on the preperation and the assembly.
I was thinking about the idea you had on the bubble counter. If you are able to get the 1/4 c02 line thorugh the Jacob fitting, can you get a piece of 1/4 rigid?

Guess what I p/u @ FAOIS...you know that big monti with the blue poylps that he has been saving. :D ...well I did not get it but he did get a shipment in with that same peice, (alot smaller) and a nice piece broke off and I got that. If you want the mother colony, it is still there.

checkinhawk
02/25/2007, 09:38 AM
yeah it was snowing acrylic flakes.i did test mine with water last night.i filled it up and left it full all night .not ONE drop of water leaked out.here it is still full and bone dry.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/checkinhawk/Picture786.jpg

checkinhawk
02/25/2007, 09:40 AM
dam he has blue monti again?man i have to work tomorrow that really sucks.i want a piece of that bad.

ReefArtist
02/25/2007, 09:51 AM
Hawkster - Thank you. You're welcome here any time, even though my hound-dog wasn't so sure :D. Did you ever get your heart back into your chest :eek1: :lolspin:

Checkinhawk - looks like you need to take a LONG lunch tomorrow :D.

I'm taking my systems outside now and filling them out.

checkinhawk
02/25/2007, 10:47 AM
you know i wonder how long it would take me to get up there and back at 1pm.hmmmmmmmmmmmm

ReefArtist
02/25/2007, 11:08 AM
Got to clear this up:
I'm taking my systems outside now and filling them out.
No I'm not getting weird with my reactor :eek:.

What I meant to say was I'm fillng them with water - and I'd like to report at this point not a drop!

checkinhawk
02/25/2007, 11:17 AM
:thumbsup: leave them full for the night to make sure.

ReefArtist
02/25/2007, 07:58 PM
My reactors are still looking good! Oh I just wanted to make sure everyone knew to put a check valve between the CO2 tank and the Reactor. Don't want to mix water and CO2 in the tank.

Has anyone found 1/2 inch slip x 1/4 inch FPT and the JACO Male Connector - 1/4in Tube O.D. x 1/4in MPT. I've now been to 4 places and still no good. I think I'll just order online and also get the 1/4" rigid tubing also. Tomorrow I'll make one more stop to Mcgill Plumbing and if they don't have it I'm not wasting anymore gas. I need a few other items so I can just add these to the list.

checkinhawk
02/25/2007, 08:22 PM
im going to lookm at work tomorrow for the 1/4 tube.

Ah64av8tor
02/25/2007, 08:48 PM
They look great guys, and girls! I wish I could have gotten in on the build:(

ReefArtist
02/25/2007, 09:33 PM
Hey Checkinhawk - I was thinking about the connection between the 1/4 rigid and the 1/4 Hose. Using a JACO Bulkhead Union - 1/4in Tube O.D. Female x 1/4in Tube O.D. Female. It would hold both in place.

checkinhawk
02/26/2007, 01:14 PM
i got the bubble counter figured out.we did have the 1/4"tube in stock.if you want me to make you one just let me know.i had to machine a plug to fit the inside of the reduser bushing,then drill a 1/4"hole and glue the tube in.heres what it looks like.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/checkinhawk/new%20tank%20pics/Picture794.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/checkinhawk/new%20tank%20pics/Picture796.jpg

ReefArtist
02/26/2007, 01:29 PM
Oh please do for me :D. If I could I'd also like to buy a foot of the 1/4in tube. Only if it's OK with your work people.

Hey - I have someones clamp - Irwin Quick-Grip the large one. I also have a big roll of blue tape - I thinks that's your Checkinhawk.

Just to let you know - I'm firing today.

checkinhawk
02/26/2007, 01:41 PM
it is brucem's clamp i forgot it.no problem on the tube.

mflamb
02/26/2007, 02:34 PM
Has anyone found nylon or pvc bolts and nuts?
I haven't done any testing yet. I did a little shopping trying to find some plumbing pieces yesterday after church, and came home feeling sick. Diane and I have been totally wiped out sick since. I went to work today and lasted an hour, and have been back on the couch since.
I did find the thick teflon tape. Hopefully water testing again this week.

ReefArtist
02/26/2007, 02:42 PM
Hi mflamb, I've been to 6 stores now and have spent more time and gas bucks - I'm just going to order the pvc bolts/nuts and the connectors (1/2 to 1/4 FPT and the JACO connectors). What I'm going to do is see if I can find a place that has everything or at least most of everything. If you find a place first - let me know and I'll order yours at the same time - if you'd like. What size of bolt as you looking at getting?

Warnberg
02/26/2007, 02:46 PM
I think you are going to want nylon nuts and bolts. I had some extras left over from the hood, Tenecor uses them for the hinges on their hoods. You may try this place.
http://www.plasticnutsandbolts.com/

The bolts I have are like this:
http://www.plasticnutsandbolts.com/screwsz.html

The nuts are like these:
http://www.plasticnutsandbolts.com/nutsz.html

ReefArtist
02/26/2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks Dave, the plastic nuts and bolts site is the site I was looking at. Did you have to order any from them - were they good as far as shipment?

guntercb
02/26/2007, 03:06 PM
I ordered some nylon bolts and wing nuts from McMaster-Carr. Real reasonable shipping too.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Cheers,
Chris

Warnberg
02/26/2007, 03:09 PM
I have not ordered anything from them... I used old parts.

ReefArtist
02/26/2007, 03:11 PM
It looks like I have to open an account with them which I can. They have some very nice nylon nuts/bolts and items like that. I'm going to see what else they have - I can use these for LOTS of things. I'll search around to other sites but this has what we need. If anyone would like to jump on the order just let me know within the next few days. If anyone finds these local also please let us know. I have the pvc item also that I need to order so I'm looking to put everything onto one sales slip.

mflamb
02/26/2007, 05:16 PM
I'm thinking 7/16" bolts. I've also been thinking about installing the bolts from the bottom with washers, and after hand tightening everything, using weld-on 16 to attach the bolts/washers to the bottom.

ReefArtist
02/26/2007, 06:45 PM
How will you get the top off? Seems like it would be a pain to change out the media. Yes that's what I was thinking 7/16 or #10's (13/32) and using washers. The site below has them in 100 batches and they are like 5 - 7 dollars. So for under 20 dollars it looks like we could get nuts, bolts and the washers. I also was thinking either 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 in length.

ReefArtist
02/26/2007, 06:47 PM
I forgot the site:
http://cpplasticsgroup.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT

checkinhawk
02/26/2007, 07:17 PM
you all just couldnt wait for me to get the bolts could you lol.i have a bag with 77 7/16"x1 1/4"pvc bolts.154 pvc washers,and 77 7/16"nuts.i also made 5 bubble counter assemblies.so i got them if you want them.i have my bolts finger tight and it forms a perfect seal.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/checkinhawk/new%20tank%20pics/Picture797.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/checkinhawk/new%20tank%20pics/Picture798.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/checkinhawk/new%20tank%20pics/Picture799.jpg

ReefArtist
02/26/2007, 07:19 PM
I'm finding a lot more choices with 3/8 on this site.

ReefArtist
02/26/2007, 07:22 PM
Oh man! You have all the nice play things at work. I'd never get work done at your place - oh I think that's your problem. Oh thank you checkinhawk - I wasn't sure if you could get them or not, thought I'd better start looking. Those look fantastic - very very nice!

checkinhawk
02/26/2007, 07:26 PM
yeah i meant to say 3/8" bolts.that is what i have.

ReefArtist
02/26/2007, 07:28 PM
That looks sooooooo nice! Mine finished and passed the water test! I have the CO2 and everything if you'd like to put it on your tank and test it out. Just need the media. This is GREAT!

checkinhawk
02/26/2007, 07:37 PM
good to hear they passed the water test.thanks but i dont even want to tease myself with a test.i just want to set it up and go for it lol.has anyone else water tested there units yet?

brucem
02/26/2007, 07:46 PM
I water tested mine and no leaks. I would like a bubble rod. Do you think you will be able to drill my top tomorrow. I will be in town tomorrow and could bring the ph probe over

Thanks Bruce

ReefArtist
02/26/2007, 08:01 PM
Hey Bruce - I have one of your clamps. I'll get it to checkinhawk either this weekend or the next - unless you need it sooner.

checkinhawk
02/26/2007, 08:18 PM
brucem ill put a 1/2" thread in it tomorrow.

Warnberg
02/26/2007, 09:06 PM
No runs, no drips, no errors......

mflamb
02/26/2007, 09:11 PM
Yo Chris, I'll take a bubble counted setup and however many bolts/nuts/washers you can spare.
If anyone needs a Eheim 1048, John has a great price.

checkinhawk
02/26/2007, 09:27 PM
mike i got you covered on bolts and the counter.i will take a pump if your going to order some.

ReefArtist
02/26/2007, 09:31 PM
John has a great price, so I think mflamb and myself are getting ours there. Just let him know if you'd like one.

mflamb
02/26/2007, 09:32 PM
Chris, I ordered pumps. I'll pm you when they come in.
Nice media plate!

checkinhawk
02/26/2007, 09:34 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET and thanks

brucem
02/27/2007, 03:38 AM
Reefartist no hurry on the clamp and checkinhawk just let me know when Ican come get it

ReefArtist
02/27/2007, 06:05 AM
Thanks brucem for all the work you did on the reactors and all the tools. Sorry you had to leave early but the most important part of your life your daugther had a great 'B'day with both parents in attendence. Thanks again and it was great meeting you.

poknsnok
02/27/2007, 06:38 AM
really nice guys.. sorry I missed the build. cant wait to see piccs of one of those up and running!

ReefArtist
02/27/2007, 06:44 AM
Hi poknsnok - sorry you couldn't make it, would have been nice to meet you. Yea I can't wait either, I think within a week we'll have first one up and working. All we are waiting on are the Ehiem pumps to come in. We could have gone with a different cheaper pump but this is what GEO uses and we didn't want to change anything. It also gives up a little time to get the final touches done.

poknsnok
02/27/2007, 07:42 AM
Im planning on being at the March meeting. You should bring one of those bad boys if you go... (will trade frags for calcium reactor!!)

ReefArtist
02/27/2007, 08:56 AM
Yea I think a lot of reefers are thinking that now - LOL. It was a lot of fun and work, without Chris heading it up we would still be working on the first reactor. I'm sure we'll be coming up with other DIY projects I think it's the best way to learn how your equipment operates.

brucem
02/27/2007, 09:01 AM
I had a great time. Thanks to reefartist for having it at your house.I'm ready for the next project

ReefArtist
02/27/2007, 09:14 AM
I agree we might have to think about that. What most tanks need, it cost a lot to purchase and together as a team we have to knowledge to create it. This might be fun to have every few months. I think it keeps you interested in the hobby, you learn sooooo much. I can't tell you how much knowledge I've gained by doing this project. From using equipment, working with different materials to how the reactor works.

mflamb
02/27/2007, 10:12 AM
OK...I'm back among the living! Tonight, I'll get back into the middle of mine. And put that bulkhead back in.

ReefArtist
02/27/2007, 10:25 AM
Yea, I want to see if the thicker tape will make the difference. If so, I might just start using it on anything over 1/2 inch.

Do you think the uniseals would work in place of a bulkhead? I'm ready to do my frag tank and was wondering if I could use uniseals. I was going to go with 3/4 inch return and 1" output. I could use a street elbow right out of the uniseal.

checkinhawk
02/27/2007, 01:20 PM
i wouldnt use the uniseals on the frag tank.they would prob work but id just got with bulkheads and they allow you to thread pipe into them.

ReefArtist
02/27/2007, 02:04 PM
K - it is an idea, but yes I really don't want 20g of water on the floor.

I'm writing up our biuld now, little history and a lot of building :D.