PDA

View Full Version : Delivery: whos the best UPS, Fedex, or USPS

montanabay
02/12/2007, 12:06 AM
Hi All,

UPS and Fedex seem to have identical shipping prices with 10:30am next day delivery, USPS has the cheapest (by far), but can only do 12pm next day. Anyone have a preference for who to deal with in getting live deliveries in the Bay Area? Who's easier to deal with insurance wise in case the worst? Give me the good, the bad and the ugly.

Thanks,

Josh

PS: This will be clown fish, instate from L.A. 5 p.m. drop off 10:30am or 12:00pm delivery.

MrMikeB
02/12/2007, 12:13 AM
I would say none of the above. If you are closer to an airport it might be worthwhile to look into cargo shipping for livestock. Most carriers have this service, it leaves on a flight that day, you pick it up at the airport yourself- that day.

Typically its cheaper, shorter time in transit, and less hands playing around with it so that it has a better chance of being healthy.

mcurl98
02/12/2007, 01:02 AM
UPS has been much more reliable for me. I always pay for priority with Fedex (10:30am) and it is on time only about half the time. They always have some "weather" excuse so they never give refunds. Only choice with LiveAquaria though. I've used the airlines for large rock orders but not small fish orders.

plankton
02/12/2007, 01:54 AM
If possible arrange for the local distribution center to hold the package for you then go pick it up when they 1st open. This avoids the package riding around in a truck. If UPS then the UPS Store will also hold for you for a small charge.

WRT to insurance you'd be lucky to get reimbursement for the cost of shipment.

Given it is instate you might want to consider the seller holding the livestock and you picking up. Berkeley->LA is about 6 hours.

Roadtrip!

Scott