PDA

View Full Version : Brown stuff...everywhere!! Help, please!

Marcia
02/11/2007, 03:43 PM
Hello,

I've recently upgraded from a small 10 gallon mini-reef tank with a regular flourescent light to a 29 gallon tank with a 130-watt power compact light fixture. I upgraded the lights to prepare to introduce soft corals into the tank. The tank has finally cycled, my protein skimmer is working, all the chemistry is good, but I've developed this brown stuff that covers everything. If I don't use the magnet scrubber, the entire glass, all the rocks and the sand are covered with a layer of what looks like brown "snow." The animals are all alive and well, but I don't know what to do about this brown snowstorm everyday. Is this good stuff or bad stuff? I just hate the way it looks. Are there animals that eat this stuff that I could put in the tank? I really need some help. If you want a picture, I can take one and send it to you, but I'm sure some of you have experienced it and I could use some suggestions. I don't want to introduce a chemical intervention unless it's necessary.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Marcia
Wellington, FL

starmanres
02/11/2007, 03:46 PM
Brown Diatoms... It will cycle through an a couple of weeks. Normal stuff but unsightly. I can get my snails to eat it but it seems to grow faster than they can clean it up at first.

Don't worry... Diatoms Happen.

RedEyeElf
02/11/2007, 03:59 PM
agreed