PDA

View Full Version : Newbee question

cappymrgn
02/08/2007, 09:25 AM
I have been reading/researching for a few months now and hope to get my first marine tank within a month or so. I will be looking at a BC29 (and doing some modding) because I like the whole "self contained" thing.

That brings me to my question: Why dont more comapnies make larger "self contained" aquariums? I have seen some pretty impressive DIY aquariums, but none that contain the features of the BC29 (I say BC29, but am aware other companies make these as well). I may try to DIY my own tank someday (more experienced) and this idea appeals to me, but I figure there must be something flawed about the idea if no-one else is doing it. :confused:

I look forward to starting my own new tank thread and learning some more!

Thanks,
Jason

Travis L. Stevens
02/08/2007, 10:20 AM
They are nice and compact, but some come with features such as bioball chambers that some aquarists consider undesirable, thus it is a waste of space. In short, these contained units take up precious available tank area as well as some of the premade ones have a few minor flaws such as air circulation, heating, etc.

SptfireXIV
02/08/2007, 10:23 AM
The All-in-One tanks put everything in the display. Most hobbiest's would probably prefer to have a sump to put all of their equipment in, adding more water volume to the system and utilizing the space in the display better.

Its a great setup for nano's, but not so much for larger systems.

cappymrgn
02/08/2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks...I guess it makes sense I guess, but is it just a matter of preference? If a larger tank were to be set up in a similiar manner except replace the bioballs with live rock rubble and maybe a fuge could it work?

I am not trying to be arumentative and I dont have any SW experience, but I have heard pretty positive opinions on the nanos and I thought if done on a larger scale some of the waterchanges and other things (problems due to so little water) that come with a nano or pico tank could be eliminated.

I know this is not a hobby to get into if you are looking for maintenance free, but I am all about trying to simplify when I can!:bum:

I guess my thinking is that if it works for a nano it should work for something larger...right?

Thanks for the input so far!

cappymrgn
02/09/2007, 09:19 AM
WOW! One day old and 6 pages back. This place moves quick!!

Osmotic Shock
02/09/2007, 10:34 AM
With an all in one tank system like a nano you actually lose a fair amount of your display volume to the volume that is in the chambers behind the back wall. A 24 gallon nano has the dimentions of a 24 gal tank but far less than 24 gal in the display area. As the tank gets larger and larger you would would have a huge tank taking up a lot of space to get the same display volume that a traditional tank and sump would give you.
As far as water changes and maint you would still have to do water changes and maint on a large all in one tank, but it would be much more difficult because in stead of working under the tank you would be working in the back chambers which may be 6 ft in the air on a large tank.