PDA

View Full Version : Which Shrimp????

Squdgy
12/01/2000, 11:29 AM
Gang,
i am thinking of adding a shrimp to my 50 Gal reef tank... I have kept all fish out of the tank but just to let you know i am considering adding a yellow or blue Tang as well.
I only want to add the shrimp for interest and viewing pleasure. So my goal is to add the most benign and safe shrimp i can.. I think a simple cleaner shrimp will be the best but wanted to the ask the board first.. For instance, what do people feel the pros and cons are between cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp??

johnny
12/01/2000, 11:37 AM
cleaner or peppermint

I know the cleaner will help with ick or other parasites on your fish, and if you have a tang i believed they are notorious for contracting ick. So that might be a good idea.

peppermints i believe i read get rid of a bit of certain types of algae, or perhaps it was aiptasia (sp?). I know neither do any harm, so why not get one of each :)

Nick

SoundsFishy
12/01/2000, 11:46 AM
My vote is for the cleaner shrimp. I would also get 2 of them. They are much more confident in pairs and will spawn often feeding your corals and fish. Not to mention the cleaning function they preform.
Peppermint shrimp (which I have 6) hide most of the day but are great for aptasia controll.
The peps did eat all my yellow polops. Just another reason for Cleaners.
Good luck.
Dan.

beanbrrd
12/01/2000, 09:57 PM
another vote for cleaners, 2 of them. as for the possible add'n of a ylw or blu tang, there are LOTS of suggestions, q&a's/experience with these fish collected on this msg board -try a search of the archives for tangs.

sassyfrazz
12/30/2000, 09:11 PM
i have 2 peppermint and 1 cleaner,for about 3 weeks .. so far so good.

paula

FishDaddy
12/30/2000, 09:29 PM
Brian,
I keep a pair of Scarlet Cleaners, Lysmata amboenensis, in my 55. For my money, they are the showiest and best shrimp for the reef. Peppermints are shy and, as already mentioned, will eat small Aiptasia but sometimes like polyps too.
Dick:)

Squdgy
12/30/2000, 10:41 PM
I ended up purchasing two cleaner shrimp...So far they
have been a great addition as they add a lot of color
and action to the tank.... They have reduced the pod population a bit but hey, can't have everything! They have been in the tank about 3 weeks now and i can feed them
squid by hand... they'll come right up to the surface and
take it out of my hand... My daughter thinks it is a kick!

Skipper
12/30/2000, 11:43 PM
Hey, Squdgy. Try putting your hand right next to them (slowly) underwater and let them pick the dead skin off your fingers. It tickles!

PPFBOBB12
12/31/2000, 02:26 AM
My vote goes to the Blood (aka Fire) shrimp. Although they are shier than the normal skunk cleaners and more expensive, they are prettier and IMO are way cool!

Regards,

Phil