PDA

View Full Version : Chiller not chilling

javierecr
02/04/2007, 10:57 PM
Help...! My chiller just died, the compressor just doesn't want to start, the fan is on and I can feel cool air coming from behind the chiller but the compressor doesn't kick in. I did notice starting last week that the compressor was having a hard time when starting, when the temp was high and the chiller started, the fan would blow and then when the compressor was going to kick in it would start for about 2 secs and then it would shut down, this process would repeat for about 6 to 10 times and then it would be normal, but now it doesn't start at all, the fan is always on and the temp keeps raising.

The details:

PCI CL650 1/4
bought it used my tank is a 150 with three 250w MH

Please help

Rogger Castells
02/04/2007, 11:15 PM
sounds like your coolant gas is low, try calling a A/C tech to add some gas

javierecr
02/04/2007, 11:18 PM
Do you know a good one in this area (Broward)?

or if it is something I can do myself how?

Rogger Castells
02/05/2007, 01:02 AM
try PMing truth954 he works in the field and could recommend someone

loyalrogue
02/05/2007, 01:06 AM
I don't know squat about aquarium chillers, but eons ago when I was a property maintenance supervisor I had to get A/C certified and repaired/replaced split units.

If the basics of your chiller is anything like the condensing unit of a standard A/C then there should be two capacitors, a start capacitor and a run capacitor.
It's possible that you could have a bad start capacitor which can no longer generate enough of a charge to get the compressor going.
You could take your capacitors down to an A/C place or an electronics shop and have them tested and replaced if neccesary.

You could also have a bad/shorted/grounded connection at the compressor.
I've repaired tons of posts and connectors in the past that got corroded where the wiring harnesses attaches to the compressor.
I imagine the chance of corrosion is way more on a SW aquarium chiller than a regular A/C unit in South Florida.

Last but not least, it very well could be a bad compressor.
To find out you would have to have a professional test the windings in the compressor to see if they're still good.
I don't know how much compressors for chillers are, but a typical A/C compressor is about half the cost of the unit.
Add labor charges onto that and I always figure you're better off investing in a unit that's 100% new and still under warranty.

Good luck.

**Edit**

Oh yeah, a regular A/C mechanic probably isn't familiar with aquarium chillers either so your best bet is probably to ask at your LFS if they know anyone local who specializes in that.

javierecr
02/05/2007, 03:32 PM
Ok, so I called PCI today and explained what was going on with the chiller, they are sending me two components that might fix the problem of the compressor not starting. BTW excellent service from PCI.