PDA

View Full Version : Ready to add sump!!!

bmcq
08/01/2002, 05:28 PM
I ordered an overflow, pump, fittings, hose, etc. from Lifereef yesterday to add a sump to my 90 gal reef. For the sump I am using a 30 gal long with two partitions .... part 1 - overflow and cpr bakpak2 skimmer, part 2 - refugium, part 3 - return. For the refugium I will have ~5" DSB using SouthDown, and I will be moving ~ 10lb LR from my main tank. My plan of attack is to fill the sump with RO/DI with the same salinity as main tank. The sump will also have a thermometer so I can match the temps. I plan to run the return in a loop sump only at least until the sand settles. Sorry for the lenghty post ... but now to the question at hand!!!! Since the sump is essentially a new setup, what is the best way to phase this into my system. I plan to seed the refugium from my main tank DSB (it is currently ~4" - will be adding 2 more 1" layers over the next couple of weeks) I'm adding the sump to help eleviate algae blooms so the last thing I want to do is set up a new cycle. I will be moving my "grass" from main tank to refuge for nitrate aid and adding microalga for neutrient export. Thanks in advance!!!!

griss
08/02/2002, 04:16 PM
If I understand the question correctly I would just set up the sump/refugium, let the sand in the refugium, seed the sand and then start up the operation.

Griss