PDA

View Full Version : Iodine and Iodide?

fishtk75
02/02/2007, 06:43 AM
Randy,

Persons in my area use it and said it will help caulerpa and chaetomorpha in my refugium and the soft corals.
I read your reports of part 1 and part 2.
What is the differance between iodine and iodide I see two products out there are they the same thing?
I missed reading on that if you had that in there.
Then you still do not as you said would not dose any?
You have any thing new to report on of lose of this in the tank that shows you need it or not do it to be safe of over doing it?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/02/2007, 01:19 PM
IMO, adding iodine (in any form) does not seem to spur macroalgae growth. I do not dose it and do not believe that doing so has any positive benefit (else I would do it).

I do describe the different forms in the articles. Iodine (like Lugols) is not stable in seawater, and rapidly forms iodide and iodate. Both of these forms can be taken up by organisms, although iodide seems to be more rapidly taken up.

Waterbury Guy
02/02/2007, 01:48 PM
Hoping to piggyback on this thread.....
I just got my Salifert Iodine test kit yesterday, will be testing over the weekend. The reason I'm testing is that every Emerald Crab I have ever owned has slowly (over the course of 2 months), turned white and died. I also cannot seem to keep cleaner shrimp longer than four months. Fish & corals do great. I know it's hard to tell without the test results, but am I on the right track thinking this is an iodine problem?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/02/2007, 01:55 PM
IMO, not unless you are dosing too much iodine. There is no evidence that supplemental iodine is necessary or useful in keeping crabs or shrimp. I've kept many types of crabs and shrimp for many years with no supplemental iodine. Also, there is no evidence in the scientific literature that they need iodine.

Waterbury Guy
02/02/2007, 02:26 PM
Have you ever heard of an emerald crab going through this discoloration before?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/02/2007, 02:30 PM
No, I haven't. I never noticed that with mine. Was it ever white before it died?

Waterbury Guy
02/02/2007, 02:35 PM
Yes, over the course of about two months the color goes from green to white, then it dies. This has happened to at least four of them over the last couple of years.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/02/2007, 02:49 PM
I've never heard of that before, but I don't read a lot of crab threads either.

Anyone else?

zuzecawi
02/02/2007, 03:41 PM
Waterbury, what temp is your tank at? Shrimp and crabs die a lot easier if your temp is higher than 78. IME 74-78 is the best temp for these inverts, but that's just my own experience.
Randy, I agree that iodine wouldn't be the problem. Unless it were overdosed, but in that case, more than the inverts would more than likely suffer.

Waterbury Guy
02/02/2007, 03:48 PM
Run my tank on the warm side aruond 82. At some point when I was originally setting up my tank I read that it was good to keep it there. Everything seemed fine, so I never adjusted. Perhaps I should slowly drop it.

mistermikev
02/02/2007, 04:01 PM
had this sm issue in my 29 a few years ago. I have read that no one knows what they eat. (I am aware that some say detrius, and some say they will eat bubble algae). I wish I could remember the thread but I have also read that few have kept them for more than 2yrs. I have since stopped trying with them because A. don't want to be responsible for their death and B. don't have an algae prob(although when I did they didn't seem to be doing anything to correct it - bubble algae - found that just removing problem rocks and poping em, then washing off with extra seawater). Would love to know if anyone knows why the discoloration, like you: I would guess either irregular molting due to lack of iodine or lack of regular food source... that said my blood shrimp has been with me since those days and never had probs molting- he's about 3 now. Hope this was at least somewhat informative. IF ANYONE HAS IDEAS: I'M ALL EARS TOO!
MV

fishtk75
02/03/2007, 06:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9141770#post9141770 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
IMO, adding iodine (in any form) does not seem to spur macroalgae growth. I do not dose it and do not believe that doing so has any positive benefit (else I would do it).

I do describe the different forms in the articles. Iodine (like Lugols) is not stable in seawater, and rapidly forms iodide and iodate. Both of these forms can be taken up by organisms, although iodide seems to be more rapidly taken up.

Randy,
Thank you for this I will not add it then.

fishtk75
02/03/2007, 06:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9142420#post9142420 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Waterbury Guy
Yes, over the course of about two months the color goes from green to white, then it dies. This has happened to at least four of them over the last couple of years.

Waterbury Guy,
Post this in the "Other Invert" forum see if those guys have a answer for you that deal with them. I like to see what they say too so I know also.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/03/2007, 09:08 AM
Randy,
Thank you for this

You're welcome

Happy reefing. :)

Waterbury Guy
02/03/2007, 11:07 AM
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1036340

Waterbury Guy
02/03/2007, 12:25 PM
Ok, I just tested with the Salifert kit. Iodide seemed in range, but Iodate was zero, there was no color change. Iodate should not be zero, correct?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/03/2007, 01:00 PM
There is normally more iodate than iodide in seawater, but in an aquarium with no supplements both may be fairly low and that is not a concern, IMO.

DrBegalke
02/03/2007, 01:03 PM
I've been reading some of the shrimp/crab threads/pages and their seems to be a believe that low iodine prevents complete molting.... and turning white.

I haven't found an scientific evidence though. However, there are lot's of things in life that work and are beneficial, but haven't been scientifcally studied.

Waterbury Guy: If I were you, I would dose the iodine and see what happens. At worst, you wasted some money, at best you solved the problem.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/03/2007, 02:33 PM
I agree that there is no harm in adding iodide at an appropriate dose. :)

Waterbury Guy
02/04/2007, 08:59 AM
Would this raise Iodate?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4832&Ntt=iodate&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/04/2007, 09:06 AM
It does not contain any iodate, but the I2 that is part of it (iodide is the other part) that is added will react in the tank to form a number of products in the tank, including organoiodine compounds (the ultimate sink for all iodine added), iodide,and iodate.

FWIW, I would not try to find ways to raise iodate. When I dosed it as an experiment, it built up (unlike similar doses of iodide), took a long time to deplete, and some corals reacted negatively.

Waterbury Guy
02/04/2007, 09:09 AM
>>FWIW, I would not try to find ways to raise iodate. When I dosed it as an experiment, it built up (unlike similar doses of iodide), took a long time to deplete, and some corals reacted negatively.

I'm taking your advise and running with it. I was mostly curious about the crab, but I have no real need to keep one. I will try a couple more cleaner shrimp though.
Thanks for all the great advise!!!

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/04/2007, 11:32 AM
Sounds good .

Good luck. :)