PDA

View Full Version : ? about brass in RO filter

revance
02/01/2007, 01:34 PM
I just received a pressure gauge for my RO filter and the back connector on it is brass. This was going to go between the last carbon filter and the RO membrane. I have a DI filter after the RO membrane.

Will the copper from the brass pose a danger to my tank?

Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/01/2007, 03:10 PM
You are correct that there is significant concern about brass in general, but if it is upstream of the RO (as they often are), then there is no concern as the RO and DI will take out any dissolved copper.

revance
02/01/2007, 03:31 PM
How much does it rely on the DI to get the copper out? Or a better question would be how well does the RO membrane remove the copper?

I am not always very good about getting my DI resin replaced, so it would make me feel a lot better if the RO membrane removed the copper sufficiently. I figure it shouldn't really leach much copper into the water anyway since water is not really flowing "through" the copper fitting.

AZDesertRat
02/01/2007, 03:49 PM
As long as it is before the RO membrane copper or bronze is not a concern unless you have abnormally low pH or a negative Langlier Index in your tap water. The issue of lead and copper in drinking water was addressed by the EPA several years ago and now utilities must adjust the pH so it falls within normal range.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/01/2007, 04:43 PM
An RO will likely take out 90-98% of the copper. The DI will get the remainder.