PDA

View Full Version : Green Cromis question

Fredfish
11/30/2000, 02:29 PM
How large do Green chromis get?

I would like to put a small school (4) in my 65g reef tank, but only if they stay relatively small.

Thanks.

Fred

Q-ball
11/30/2000, 02:34 PM
Fred, this is soooo funny! I'm moving my reef from a 29g to a 65g this weekend, and it's been suggested to me that I get a small school of chromis as well. I've never seen them over 2" myself, but have been told they may hit 3.5" or so in the wild. I'm planning on 3 myself. I've been told they don't school as much as shoal, but that's all kinda the same to me...as long as they hang out together & are out front alot, that's what I'm looking for out of them. HTH

Q!!!

MaryHM
11/30/2000, 04:36 PM
I get in xtra large ones sometimes that are about 3"- In any case they shouldn't get over 4".

SueT
11/30/2000, 04:54 PM
I have a 8 green chromis I have had for quite a while. They are in my 120 sps tank. There are 5-6 that are really large maybe 3", and there are a couple that are small 1 1/2". These fish haven't schooled since New Years Day. But geez, they schooled like crazy that whole day. These fish are so great to watch, their behavior is wild and never boring. They have grown so much I'm wondering how big they'll get in my 180.

Check out my website:
http://suetruett.homestead.com/home.html

Joe Kelley
11/30/2000, 08:08 PM
Sue, 180? Come on, 240?lol! I got 6 2 1/2" chromis today. Nice fish and cheap. Squampinis are chasing them around. I have heard that they school when afraid. Boo. Hi Mary, hey Fred!
joe

Nemo
11/30/2000, 10:54 PM
I have a school of six in my 150 gallon tank. They schooled quite a bit when I first intoduced them but hang in a loose shoal now. As soon as a new fish is introduced the school up very tightly. When any fish acts agressively toward one fish they all school up again. They occasionally have my male ocillaris clown swimming with the school, pretty funny to watch.

All of my cromis are 1.5" or less but I have seen them as large as 2.5" in a friends tank. They grow fairly rapidly so I would buy them as small as possible. Very beautiful and hardy fish, one of my favorites. They are well mannered and are a community fish.

My whole school tends to hang out around a basketball sized head of acro I have. At night they all sleep inside of it together. I have heard that the waste generated by these fish floating above the coral is very benificial to the acro.

Nemo

Fredfish
12/01/2000, 03:03 PM
Thanks all for the responses. Sounds like they are a good choice for my tank.

One of the reasons I am looking at them is that I currently have a P. fridmani as the sole occupant of the tank. I suspect that it will be very aggressive towards any new additions to its territory, so the addition of multiple fish should diffuse its aggression a little.

I also like that they are very hardy, look nice and are not so expensive.

Another question:
What do these fish eat?

grafxguy
12/01/2000, 05:02 PM
Strictly P. fridmani......................Anything. eric

FOX
12/01/2000, 06:27 PM
Just a warning(and this is just my experience), but I have tried to add a school of them 3 separate times. Each time I only added 4 and ended up with one dominant one that killed off the others and I still have that one fish. I was told that it may be that you need closer to 8-10 or more so that no one fish is able to become dominant.

FOX

Fredfish
12/01/2000, 08:15 PM
Hmm. I had heard that 4 was the minimum number. Not sure if I want to add 8-10. Dosn't leave much room for anything else.

Fred

Ironreef
12/01/2000, 08:58 PM
I have 3 green chromis, had them for 3 yrs and they always school. If they don't the tang chases them so they are probally schooling for defense. Some school some don't ,if you add 4 then add 4 later the others will kill them maybe, maybe not. I hear of all these thing but with fish you never know. All I know is my have been schooling for @ 3yrs.everyday.