PDA

View Full Version : Magnets

kelley_mc
02/01/2007, 08:46 AM
Has anyone used these magnets?

http://www.gaussboys.com/ndfeb-magnets/D1203E-N42.html

Prices are low and there are no minimum orders. I was thinking about supergluing my small plastic bracket from my mj mod to this.

I assume this is too strong?
http://www.gaussboys.com/ndfeb-magnets/B2506E-N42.html

trstange
02/01/2007, 09:28 AM
I'd go with the bigger one just to be safe. But I'm an over builder...

REEF-DADDY
02/01/2007, 09:40 AM
I am using a similar magnet to mount my pumps. How thick is your glass?

kelley_mc
02/01/2007, 09:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9131263#post9131263 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trstange
I'd go with the bigger one just to be safe. But I'm an over builder...

My concern with the big magnet is: 1) glass breakage as they pull themselves together. I have heard of this happening, and 2) interference with the magnets and the MJ itself. I am not sure if this is possible, I am just guessing on this one.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9131349#post9131349 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by REEF-DADDY
I am using a similar magnet to mount my pumps. How thick is your glass?

Hmm... good question. The tank I will be using it on is a 37 gal aga. I just checked their website and it doesn't show how thick the glass is. I would guess more than a 1/4 and less than a 1/2. I know its thinner than yours. :D

Which magnet are you using? The little round one or the larger rectangle?

erickrm
02/01/2007, 10:42 AM
oh man i was hoping for something like this! now i can hook up my maxies to these :) hopefully they are in fact reef safe?? i will order a bunch! just to have extras lol...

REEF-DADDY
02/01/2007, 10:52 AM
many are using them, as long as they are epoxy coated they should be fine

kelley_mc
02/01/2007, 11:07 AM
I just called them and the person I talked to was very helpful. He recommended 2 of the block magnets, one on the inside and one on the outside. I think I will order some and see how it goes.

kelley_mc
02/01/2007, 11:09 AM
Oh, I forgot. Has anyone heard of Plastidip? He said that he is not sure how it would work in saltwater but it may be an option for sealing magnets. Here is a link to the website...
http://www.plastidip.com/consumer/index.html

dwiseman
02/01/2007, 11:15 AM
I have seen the plastidip on your big hardware stores. Usually in the paint aisle.

kelley_mc
02/01/2007, 11:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9131960#post9131960 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dwiseman
I have seen the plastidip on your big hardware stores. Usually in the paint aisle.

Is it reef-safe?

dwiseman
02/04/2007, 10:08 AM
Kelley_mc

Did you buy the magnets? I am interested to see if they work.

kelley_mc
02/05/2007, 07:18 AM
I did buy them. I actually bought the rectangular ones to try. My first impression is that they are WAY to strong. When putting 2 magnets together, I can't pull them apart. I actually have to slide them apart and that's not easy. I actually chipped the epoxy on one of them by letting them get too close to eachother and WHAM! They flew together with such force it cracked the expoxy and some of the magnet itself.

It's actually amazing to me how strong they are. They are so little. I am nervous to try them around my tank. If I slip and they come together, I can easily see how some people end up with broken tanks.

I think I will try them and see how they work. It may not be for a while though. I plan on using them as a semi-permanent installation on my new tank. They do make me nervous enough that once I put them on, I don't want to take them off. :D

Does anyone know if my assumption above is correct about such a strong magnet effecting the performance of the MJ? I know the pump uses magnets and I don't know if I can screw it up by putting such a strong magnet next to it. At least a MJ is cheap...

dwiseman
02/06/2007, 10:35 AM
kelley_mc

This is the email that I got from Plastic-Dip
Dear David,

"Consumers use Plasti Dip in fish tanks. Plasti Dip is non-toxic once dried. Please make sure that the Plati Dip is completely dry before placing your fish back in the tank."

Thanks,
Deb

I hope this helps.

kelley_mc
02/06/2007, 10:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9171633#post9171633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dwiseman
kelley_mc

This is the email that I got from Plastic-Dip
Dear David,

"Consumers use Plasti Dip in fish tanks. Plasti Dip is non-toxic once dried. Please make sure that the Plati Dip is completely dry before placing your fish back in the tank."

Thanks,
Deb

I hope this helps.

Nice! Good work, thanks for letting me know.