PDA

View Full Version : Big problems!!!!

greenstarfish03
01/30/2007, 09:24 PM
The last couple of weeks my phosphates have gotten fairly high. All the way up to like .1 or so. I am seeing allot of diatoms growing and I ahve noticed coral degradation lately.

I have a 70 gallon no new fish or any new coral really. The only thing that was somewhat new was I switched from 2 PC actinics to 2 true blue T5s. So I currently have the two T5s and 2 10k PCs. The issue started maybe a month after the bulbs were switched so I don't think that is the problem.

My PH is about 7.3 and nitrites, and nitrates are 0, ammounia is 0 everything else is good except for my phosphates. I feed the fish the exact same thing all of the time so that hasn't changed. The tank has been up for a 2+ years and I haven't any problems in well over a year.

The other thing that may be an issue is I think one of my PCs is past the time that it should be replaced.

I have added 2 pieces of polyfiber and did 3 10 gallon water changes and they are still high. I guess I can try a 20 gallon water change. Any other thoughts?

alan214
01/30/2007, 09:32 PM
First off, your lighting has nothing to do with high phosphates; not sure why that is even being brought up unless you have a hair algae or bryopsis problem.

Are you using RO/DI water? Also, specifically what are you feeding your fish?

greenstarfish03
01/30/2007, 09:37 PM
With the lights I was just grasping at straws. I have alot of diatoms which is probably from the increased phosphates not the other way around.

Food is almost always a half cube of formula 1 and a small amount of sweet water zooplankton once a day. On occasion they will get the ocean nutrition formula 1 pellets. Thye food has been about the same for more then a year.

greenstarfish03
01/30/2007, 09:38 PM
Oh I forgot. Always RO/DI. I set it up the first time with out 2-3 years ago and learned never ever use anything other then RO/DI water.

I lost a head on my torch coral today it just melted and I have had that thing for years.

salty3
01/30/2007, 09:38 PM
Check your source water. Lately mine has had a phos reading of 1. right out of the ro unit. I went to 6 places and all the same, they tell me it the water this time of year. I dont know though I will be getting my own ro unit.

greenstarfish03
01/30/2007, 09:40 PM
Good idea. I have a fresh container of water straight from the store down stairs. I will go test it now and tell you what I get.

alan214
01/30/2007, 09:41 PM
Check and make sure your TDS reading on the RO/DI is not above about 5ppm. Your filter may have a membrane that is leaking the phospates.

greenstarfish03
01/30/2007, 09:43 PM
The phosphates being high would cause the diatoms and the coral issues right? or is something else going on? I have been getting a brown dusty algae that grows quickly during the day on the rocks and and glass for the last 2-3 weeks. and then when I tested the only thing off was my phosphates. Now my corals are starting to do poorly

greenstarfish03
01/30/2007, 09:44 PM
RO/DI comes from the store.

salty3
01/30/2007, 09:45 PM
Is it in the new ro?

greenstarfish03
01/30/2007, 09:53 PM
Not the RO/DI. I just tested the water and it read "0"

RedEyeElf
01/30/2007, 09:55 PM
when was the last time you changed your RO filter membranes?

did you say your PH was 7.3? why so low?
run some phosban for the time being and get those phos DOWN

RedEyeElf
01/30/2007, 09:56 PM
do you have macro?

greenstarfish03
01/30/2007, 10:07 PM
PH is 8.3 not 7.3 that was a typo:)

I have very little macro algae in my sump. I bought a little one day but I don't have enough light on my sump to make it grow right. I have been thinking about getting a small light and getting some more macro.

I will have to order some phosban. I went to the lfs looking for phosgaurd but all they had was the poly fiber so I have a couple of pieces of that in the tank.

greenstarfish03
01/30/2007, 10:14 PM
Do I need a reactor or can I just hang the phosban in a filter bag?

RedEyeElf
01/30/2007, 10:14 PM
did you take the macro out, or just let it dissolve in your system?

Was alittle worried about the 7.3 ph:)
I have heard the gelatin binder on f1 cubes can be a pollutant, since it has no purpose other than holding the cube together, not sure that it would be your problem,some people rinse them before using them. just a note on excess nutrients

phosphate builds up in a system over time, so maybe its from prior bad habits of yours

greenstarfish03
01/30/2007, 10:20 PM
Yes could be prior bad habits. Water changes were a little behind:(

The macro did disapear. Is that bad? I never thought about that being an issue.

RedEyeElf
01/30/2007, 10:39 PM
it's just more excess nutrients

the point of macro being a filter is it takes in nutrients to grow, but if it desolves, where do those nutrients go?

Reactors are more effiecient, but i can't hook one up to my current reef due to it being almost in the middle of the living room on a coffee table, so i just put mine in my prizm skimmers carbon bin or just hang it

greenstarfish03
02/04/2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks I ordered a phos reactor and phosban. My phosphates are down to .03, but my corals still aren't doing well and I am still getting some diatoms in my tank.

Two nights ago I added the phosban and then last night I did about a 12% water change and cleaned everything in the tank. Today after the lights came on a few hours later I have diatoms growing on the sand and rocks again. My zoos aren't opening, my star polyps haven't opened in days, about 4-5 days ago I lost a head on my torch and one on my hammer. I retested the parameters today and they are listed below. I don't see any major issues.

PO4- .03
PH- 8.4
ALK- 7.7dkh
NH3- 0
NO2- 0
CA- 300 (add calcium to bring this up)
Cl- 0
Sal- 1.024
Temp. 77
Nitrate- 5

Things aren't bad right now, but if I already have things growing and it has only been a day and I can imagine in a few days it will be bad again. When I cleaned it today the bwown algae was all over the glass, rocks, and some of the corals. My star polyps and zoos are strugling.

Icefire
02/04/2007, 09:06 PM
How old is your PC tube? How long lights is on a day/?

wrott
02/04/2007, 09:23 PM
Obviously something is ****ing-off your corals.
I would do massive WCs (20-30g) every day until the corals open-up.
A bag of Chemi-pure may also help in the short time.
Good luck.

greenstarfish03
02/04/2007, 11:01 PM
One of my PC's needs to be changed. It is a little over a year old and the other is about 8 months old. Blues are on about 10 hours a day and the whites are on about 6 now it was eight but I backed that off a couple of weeks ago.

I realize that their is something wrong, but I'm a little stumped. I originally thought it was my phosphates but I seemed to have fixed that w/ the phosban, but the coral haven't perked up yet. So either they need a little more time or I still have an issue. I just went down stairs and the white lights are off and the blues were the only one on and the water looks clearer, but the coral have still not perked up. I will see tomorrow and if there not better then I will do a bigger water change. I have done probably 5-6 10 gallon changes in the last week or two and it doesn't seem any better yet. I'm hoping the phos reactor and the phosban will do the trick.

greenstarfish03
02/05/2007, 09:13 PM
bump

greenstarfish03
02/05/2007, 09:47 PM
Could this be dinoflagellates?? If so what do I do? I don't want to loose all of my corals.