PDA

View Full Version : Cooking LR question...when to change the water?

vessxpress1
01/30/2007, 08:34 PM
I've been cooking my liverock for a month now trying to clean it up. I did the rinse process in the 3 different buckets twice so far and have changed 100% of the tub water twice. About a week after the last WC, the liverock is looking very clean but I'm getting a consistant nitrate reading of 10 ppm. Will bacteria or something in there consume the nitrate eventually, or should I do another 100% change if it doesn't go down? I'd like the rock to begin functioning on it's own again if possible so I know when it's safe to use it again. Should I keep rinsing the rock in buckets or leave it be now?

vessxpress1
01/30/2007, 09:37 PM
bump

Dr.FuManchu
01/30/2007, 10:05 PM
You can figure about an eight week cook time with weekly swishing and water changes. When you are done you should get ammonia=0 Nitrate=0 Nitrite=0 and Phosphate=0, when you test. The whole idea of cooking the rock is to get the bacteria to use up all of the nitrate and phosphate stored up in the rock. Some rock will have more than others so its really up to you to test and figure that part out.

sherm71tank
01/30/2007, 10:13 PM
Don't cut your cook time short or it will have been for nothing. If you are still getting detritus off the rockswhen you dunk and swish then keep it up. I know it is a pain but it's worth it! I cooked my HA covered rocks for almost 2 months.

vessxpress1
01/30/2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks. No, I surely won't cut the cook time short. I've got too much time and effort invested in it now. I don't care if I have to go 3 months. I'll just keep testing. I think it's getting there though.

The good part is, is that I think I'm 'somewhat' getting it under control in the main display now. It's unbelievable what this is taking.

sherm71tank
01/30/2007, 11:55 PM
Are you also going BB?

vessxpress1
01/31/2007, 12:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9120480#post9120480 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sherm71tank
Are you also going BB?

I'm tempted. Very tempted. I probably wouldn't need much convincing to go for it. I'd like to go with a DSB or SSB because I like having the critters that come along with it. It's probably the hardest decision I've faced, as I'm thinking about getting a new tank to start over with, rather than trying to clean and remove all the mess I've got in the current one right now. I have CC now but I'd really like sand. If BB would help with my paramaters though, that's the route I should probably go. I'm having a hard time deciding.

sherm71tank
01/31/2007, 12:09 AM
I encourage you to read up on the BB method. You will need strong flow and a very strong skimmer. I went BB after my "crash" with a DSB and am glad I did it.

dkh0331
01/31/2007, 06:16 AM
Whichever way you go for your substrate, you are on the right track with your rock cooking. My cooking was very extended as my wife wanted the living room renovation completed before my tank went back up.

FWIW I went BB about a year ago. My 6100 streams sit near the bottom and keep everything in suspension. And I second sherm71tank if you go BB, flow and a strong skimmer is mission critical.

HTH

David