PDA

View Full Version : Cadlights 25 gallon HQI nano

triggerfreak
01/30/2007, 10:16 AM
Does anybody have one of these new tanks yet. I think it looks awsome and the design is just what nano needed. Comes with 2 lights, one for the tank and one for the refugium.http://www.cadlights.com/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=89

montanabay
01/30/2007, 11:45 AM
I want one of those bad boys too, but consider a DIY nano, especially if you owned and have run a nano tank and know what you like, you can tune it to fit your style and probably come in at less cost (if you discount your own time, but than again it is a hobby).

Cheers,

Josh

zombiedust
01/30/2007, 12:12 PM
Hi Triggerfreak...More info on that. The Cadlights people have a special heat dispersing aluminum hood for that bad boy and a glass lens to protect the lights and keep the heat off the water. The lens is tempered and they cut it for 1/8 inch thickness so that it would block less light. They say they have had no heat complaints and the glass on the tank is thicker than the jbj. They increased the fuge size to take a Remora or Tunze skimmer too. I'm leaning real heavy towards the Cad.
Cheers back, Len

jewtball
01/30/2007, 12:26 PM
i got it when it first came out last year. the first batch that was sold out till now. they havent changed it much from mine. i went to pick it up myself at their warehouse in NY. they showed me how to do everything step by step, so cool.

i do get some heat problems as i sort of expected from the halides even the CAD halide with the heat dispersing. i get around 3-4 degree when i have the lights are on for more than 6 hours. the Cad guys told me to get a small clip-on fan and hook it to the same timer as the halides and i never had the heat problem since.

i love every bit of this tank and so glad i got this one out of the bunch. glad people are finally seeing these.

1pix4c
01/30/2007, 02:57 PM
do you have pics

chelskisw6
01/30/2007, 04:44 PM
i dont have this model, but the 22g with T5s. i love it, it is built really nicely. highly recommended.

montanabay
01/30/2007, 06:31 PM
can you keep SPS with just T5s in that setup?

elmatth1
01/30/2007, 07:28 PM
tagging along to see what everyone thinks of this tank. I'm thinking about this tank as well.

sm fragman
01/31/2007, 12:01 AM
tag along ,,i am looking at the same tank wiht the t5 or the aquapod wiht the 150 hqi

1pix4c
01/31/2007, 09:39 AM
can you put a remora protein skimmer on this tank

zombiedust
01/31/2007, 11:16 AM
I am bagging the jbj 150 HQI and Red Sea Max in favor of this bad boy. It has the best of all worlds in it. The fuge and lights won me over.......Len

1pix4c
01/31/2007, 03:18 PM
who sells the jbj and how big is it

zombiedust
01/31/2007, 05:23 PM
The jbj is 25 gallons with 150 watt hqi and is sold by nanotuners.com

sullyfish
01/31/2007, 05:32 PM
The only question I would have is evap/water top off. That much heat on a 25 gallon tank I would think you would be looking at 1/2 gallon a day or more....tank looks sleek but you would need a 5 gal bucket around for top offs.....Just my .02

elmatth1
01/31/2007, 05:38 PM
put an automated top off on there and hide your top off water in the stand and you'd be set!

jewtball
01/31/2007, 06:13 PM
better to stay cool while evaporating than to keep the heat in and fry the circuits with a closed top! open top all the way baby haha.

zombiedust
02/01/2007, 11:27 AM
Sorry ! Correction the JBJ 150 HQI is 28 gallons......Not 25.

kzooreefer
02/20/2007, 12:27 PM
anyone have pictures of a cadlights 25 setup with a skimmer. i'm kind of lost as to where it would actually go. there is not enough information on the cadlights website or forum, all they say is it is designed to fit an aqua c remora.

zombiedust
02/20/2007, 04:14 PM
Hey kzooreefer,

I'll call Eddie at Cadlights and ask for the info for you .....Len

zombiedust
02/20/2007, 04:21 PM
1st refugium chamber is on left as you look at the back is 4 by 6 by 14 and will hold the Remora, Tunze and sapphire. Eddie of Cadlights says that he is talking with sapphire for a custom one to go with it and is talking about a 32 gallon that is slightly taller than the 25. Woooohoooo !

zombiedust
02/20/2007, 04:24 PM
Hey jewtball ... I agree with you all the way baby !!!!!!!!

Waterboy
02/20/2007, 04:25 PM
I just ordered mine and should get it in 2 days. I plan to use a Tunze on the Cadlights. I have a Remora on my 15g. Since the Remora is a HOB and the sump/refugium area of the Cadlights isn't enclosed by a canopy, there shouldn't be a problem fitting it in the refugium. The powerhead and small section of pvc is all that jets into the refugium. Depending on the length of the other compartments and level of water, you might be able to use the return compartment as well.

kzooreefer
02/21/2007, 08:29 AM
my only concern is having the skimmer hanging off the back of the refugium pushing the tank farther out from the wall as I have limited space. i like the red sea max because everything is all built in with just one plug, but it doesn't come with MH or T5 which is a deal killer. if the cadlights does eventually use a built in skimmer i will defintely buy one and a definite plus if they go to 34 gallons.

elmatth1
02/21/2007, 09:22 AM
I ordered my CADlights 25g on the 11th and still have not gotten an e-mail saying when it's going to be shipped. I sent them an e-mail on the 16th and Alex wrote back that he'd send me a confirmation e-mail when he ships it, and still nothing.

Did anyone else's tank take that long to ship?

I'm going to have to write them again, this is crazy!

Waterboy
02/21/2007, 12:13 PM
I ordered mine just a few days before you ordered yours. Mine should be arriving tomorrow. Yes, it did take a long time -- about 2 weeks since I ordered it. 3 of those days are for shipping from NYC. It could be that this model is so popular that they're having problems keeping up with demand. I e-mailed them several times since ordering and always received a response. Best regards!

zombiedust
02/21/2007, 02:30 PM
They take a lot of time and effort in making the tanks from what I have seen and try to integrate the best of all suggestions in the tanks as soon as possible.

elmatth1
02/21/2007, 09:36 PM
Well, I e-mailed them this morning and got a response this afternoon. Apparently they are changing their design slightly and my order was placed during the transition time, so i'm getting the new design. They said they are doing away with the exposed plumbing and they are using a loc-line return. Supposed to be shipping out tomorrow, so i'll take some pics when it arrives to show the new design. I guess they will be updating their website to reflect the changes next week sometime.

Waterboy
02/21/2007, 09:52 PM
Good to hear! I was wondering about whether or not to keep the exposed plumbing myself. One upgrade that I plan to make is adding dual LED moonlights. According to Cadlights, this should be easy to do. LED lights would make this tank hard to beat since it has 150 W HQI and T5HO actinics.

zombiedust
02/21/2007, 11:04 PM
Told you so.......LOL ! Just kidding man....Good deal... I could hear the sigh of relief all the way on this side of town. Can't wait to see your pics dude...........

jewtball
02/22/2007, 04:09 PM
i ordered mine and it took almost 10 days before i got it. it was definitely worth the wait. the 25g is really keeping them busy. luckily i live real close to them and i was able to go pick mine up. everytime i go there there is like dozens of them sitting on the floor.

they take alot of time inspecting each one of them, maybe thats the reason and everything is built right there.

i agree, email them and they respond pretty quickly

elmatth1
02/23/2007, 11:44 AM
I got e-mail notification yesterday that my tank was shipped out and should be here by Monday. I wished they would have gotten it out a couple days sooner that I could have had time to set it up over the weekend. They sent me a picture of the new design, i'm not sure how I like the new overflow/return plumbing yet. They haven't posted it on their website yet, so I'll try to post a picture so we can get the first look!

elmatth1
02/23/2007, 11:59 AM
Here's the photo CADLights sent me of the new design. They want to know what I think about it, so maybe we can all share some feedback with them on it. Hopefully they listen to our feedback.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/88159mini-1822-HQI_new.jpg

I'm not sure I like the overflow having only a strainer attached to it, I might have to take the strainer/bulkhead out and attach an overflow with teeth on it to skim the surface better. I'll have to wait and see, I guess.

zombiedust
02/23/2007, 03:53 PM
Hey elmatth1, I just talked to Eddie at Cadlights about that and he said they tried the teeth and this type and found thay both worked equally weel but this desigh looked better and kept a better flow. I asked him about replacing it with the teeth and said that it was easy to do but they had really gone over this carefully and this design does the same job. Thank you so much for the photo too it was really cool of you. It made it a lot easier to talk to Cadlights about it...