PDA

View Full Version : VHO experience

Davckowski
07/30/2002, 08:19 PM
I bought a new VHO system about 8 months ago W/2 10,000k and 2 03 actinics all 48" 110 watts ea. w/ an ice cap 660 ballast on a 2 foot deep 55 gal tank. About 1 month ago I bought 2 new bulbs one of each. according to my books all water conditions are ok, lights are on for 12 hours a day, all corals do ok but the coraline on my rock is just sustained doesn't spread, and never a speck on the glass. I have tried additives like coral vital (no change), now I am using one called black powder (for about a week). 25% water changes are done once a month w/instant ocean and culligan drinking water. The tank has been set up for over a year now w/ a light fish and coral load. Also the skimmer runs 24/7. All the pics I see have corraline all over everything. Any suggestions on how to step things up or do I need more light? Any help appreciated thanks.

crescent1
07/30/2002, 08:40 PM
i see in your post your using instant ocean mix. try using a better brand of salt. like reef crystals or kent . etc it mite give you better results. it has more of what you need to possibly give you better results iodine. stronium. calcium etc.:)

ReefMonger
07/30/2002, 08:42 PM
Are you adding any calcium to your tank?

You might want to consider purchasing one the 2 part additives like Tech CB or B-Ionic. This way you safely raise your calcium and keep your alkalinity stable. That should increase your coralline growth.

Davckowski
07/30/2002, 08:51 PM
I have thought about changing salt to maybe Reef crystals to see if it makes a difference.

Yes I do add calcium tech a-b twice a week.

MalHavoc
07/30/2002, 09:14 PM
I use Instant Ocean salt and have tons of coralline algae growth in my tank. Check your calcium and alkalinity levels. If they aren't sufficient, coralline algae will not grow.

Phosphate can also be a problem. Even minute amounts of it can poison calcification and hinder coral growth.