PDA

View Full Version : What Type of Anemone for My Ocellaris?

Cristi
01/29/2007, 04:48 PM
I have a pair of tank bred ocellaris that were hosting some scroll algae in my tank (pic below), but the scroll algae has died off and the clownfish are homeless now. I would like to get an anemone for them, but want to find out if they will host a BTA or Sebae anemone? Any recommendations for what type of anemone to get for them will be a great help! I have a 50 gal tank with 2 96 watt PCs.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g181/CTombari/Fish/clownfishsml.jpg

JamesJR
01/29/2007, 06:54 PM
We need some more info on your tank. How old is it?
I think the lighting is not adequate to keep anemones and would suggest that you look into getting something stronger, like metal halide or a t-5 fixture with at least 4 bulbs.

Cristi
01/29/2007, 10:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9108052#post9108052 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JamesJR
We need some more info on your tank. How old is it?
I think the lighting is not adequate to keep anemones and would suggest that you look into getting something stronger, like metal halide or a t-5 fixture with at least 4 bulbs.

The tank is 7 months old. I thought some BTA's could be kept even under flourescent lighting? If I don't have enough light for an anemone, then I guess my clownfish will have to find something else to host in my tank.:rollface:

Random Aquarist
01/29/2007, 10:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9109913#post9109913 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cristi
I thought some BTA's could be kept even under flourescent lighting?

LALALALALALA! I'm pretending I didn't read that.

Cristi
01/29/2007, 11:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9110215#post9110215 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Random Aquarist
LALALALALALA! I'm pretending I didn't read that.

Random Aquarist
I did not come to this forum to be made fun of. I came to get help and some good information. I will not put an anemone in my tank if my lighting is not appropriate for it. And I will also not ask questions here again.
Thanks.

JamesJR
01/30/2007, 12:16 AM
I wasn't making fun of you. I was trying to be informative because I was told all sorts of things when I started and don't want you to go through losses and frustrations I did. I hope you don't give up or quit the great resource this website can be because of a few rude and obnoxious people.

Random Aquarist
01/30/2007, 12:22 AM
I'm not making fun of you. I'm just annoyed that someone told you that. Can you please tell me their name and where they live?:uzi:

I really hope you stay on RC. It's a really great place for people who are willing to learn, which fortunately you are. Once again, I wasn't trying to be rude.

luckydog104
01/30/2007, 12:58 AM
way to go random man

Slakker
01/30/2007, 03:22 AM
touchy touchy...the world takes itself too seriously some days.

Cristi
01/30/2007, 06:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9111219#post9111219 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Random Aquarist
I'm not making fun of you. I'm just annoyed that someone told you that. Can you please tell me their name and where they live?:uzi:

I really hope you stay on RC. It's a really great place for people who are willing to learn, which fortunately you are. Once again, I wasn't trying to be rude.

In the sticky in this forum "Clownfish & Anemone FAQ," there is a subcatgory - Anemone FAQ which has an article written by Greg Peterson. Under the paragraph about Lighting Requirements it states" A few species (E. quadricolor and S. haddoni) will thrive
under bright VHO fluorescent lighting, but for the most part all other species require very bright lighting that includes metal halides."

Also, in Clownfishes, A guide to Their Captive Care, Breeding & Natural History by Joyce D. wilkerson, it states on pg 46
"Clearly contrasting with the norm, Entacmaea quadricolor has been reported to survive and even clone in aquariums with four (or even fewer) regular-output flourescent bulbs."

I realize that neither of these two sources recommend anything less than metal halide, but they do suggest that E. quadricolor can thrive in lower lighting situations. That is why I thought it may be possible to get an anemone for my tank, although I do not plan on it now since I realize that I do not have the ideal environment for one.
Thanks for the reponses.

Slakker
01/30/2007, 07:22 PM
Clownfishes doesn't say that the anemones will thrive under the regular output bulbs, merely survive. Cloning in BTAs isn't always necessarily indicative of health or happiness, as it's often caused by stress.

Also, VHO and NO are two completely different things. You are correct that E. quadricolor doesn't need Metal Halide, but at the very VERY least you need Power Compact, with VHO or T5 being preferrable.

Cristi
01/30/2007, 11:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9117393#post9117393 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slakker
Clownfishes doesn't say that the anemones will thrive under the regular output bulbs, merely survive. Cloning in BTAs isn't always necessarily indicative of health or happiness, as it's often caused by stress.

Also, VHO and NO are two completely different things. You are correct that E. quadricolor doesn't need Metal Halide, but at the very VERY least you need Power Compact, with VHO or T5 being preferrable.

I stated above that I do have two 96 watt power compacts (dual actinic and dual daylight) for my tank. Originally I thought that may be enough lighting for a BTA.

Random Aquarist
01/30/2007, 11:48 PM
The problem is is that your anemone won't thrive. It will live but not thrive. How tall is your tank? Your anemone will only be able to live if it's high up in the tank.

Cristi
01/31/2007, 12:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9120394#post9120394 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Random Aquarist
The problem is is that your anemone won't thrive. It will live but not thrive. How tall is your tank? Your anemone will only be able to live if it's high up in the tank.

Not to worry....I understand perfectly. My clowns will have to find a new sleeping spot in the tank without an anemone.

Dave Dunbar
02/01/2007, 03:04 AM
Cristi
Hello!! I have a 29 with a double 96 watt PC and have had a RBTA for almost 3 years! Granted it claimed the highest spot on the rocks but it is Thriving!! It has grown from a small 1" into a
4" monster. My False Perc's love it it eats any thing I give it and has split 3 times in the last year. I have a 100 gal Ref/sump and almost perfect water so that helps but all animals are different & their lighting requirements are different also. I've had other
Amemones that did not make it with 2 250 watt MH in my 120 so I think alot of it is how they are collected and shipped (stress) If you can find a cheap BTA and want to try you should but if it has trouble you should get it to a higher light source ASAP so its not too far gone to heal. Some people kinda come on too strong when someone asks ?'s here and some other people would give you the shirt off their back to help so just let the SMART *****
have there fun and go to the next post!!! Good Luck and stick around this is a real good place to learn!!
Dave

Dave Dunbar
02/01/2007, 03:30 AM
Cristi
I've reread that post and just wanted to say that the comment of not being able to keeping an amemone under flor. light was made by someone that has almost ZERO info and has not been in the hobby long enough to even try to help ANYONE!! I try to always check out their info and found this kid is not even old enought to drive yet!! I'm not saying theres anything wrong with young kids trying to help but, THEY SHOULD HAVE THE FACTS BEFORE THEY OPEN THEIR MOUTH!! Just venting and thinking as JamesJR did with the wrong info given me when I started in the hobby. When I started 20+ years ago we didnt even have a real protein skimmer yet! So you can only think of some of the misinfo I got.
Just hang inthere and the only way you will ever know things is to try them (with some GOOD advise also) Hope this helps
Makes me feel better!!
Dave

Slakker
02/01/2007, 10:20 AM
...Just because someone isn't old enough to drive doesn't mean that they are incapable of giving valuable advice or information...And just because they don't have personal experience doesn't mean that they are incapable of learning from the experience of others.

Therapists have absolutely ZERO experience with a person's life, but no one minds when they give advice. :rolleye1:

You believe the information given here was wrong, and that's fine, but it was a little unnecessary to start personal attacks like that.

GSMguy
02/01/2007, 10:57 AM
cristi i think finding a health bubble tip would help it live i have a BTA under 130w pc before that i had a thriving macrodactylia dorensis under the same lights it has now gone to a friend as it got way too big for my tank
also nothing a clownfish would like more than an anemone

redvipe2010
02/01/2007, 02:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9130446#post9130446 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dave Dunbar
Cristi
I've reread that post and just wanted to say that the comment of not being able to keeping an amemone under flor. light was made by someone that has almost ZERO info and has not been in the hobby long enough to even try to help ANYONE!! Dave

Agreed! They shouldn't even be keeping anemones yet. Cristi, don't leave the forum! Just ignore those that are new to the hobby, but think they know everything. They will grow up someday, hopefully.

Dave Dunbar
02/01/2007, 02:42 PM
Slakker
How can you even compare the two
Therapists have absolutely ZERO experience with a person's life, but no one minds when they give advice.

They have been to medical school for more than 6 yrs and this guy does not even or ever had a tank set up. If you would take the time to find out the FACTS you might understand the FACTS
How anyone can make comments like this guy has with no experience is unreal. This person is playing with other people that dont have the experience and are looking for answers. most of the time there is a large amount of cash and time involved and by giving nonsence this may cause major problems and might even ruin the persons ability to even house healthly animals.
I've gone through this Trial & Error and it takes alot to even continue in the hobby. If we try and keep this forum Real there would be alot more people not giving up and quitting. There is a Big differece between reading something and doing it on your own. How mad would you be if this person gave you advice and it caused your whole tank to crash? Seems there might be a change in attitude? I just want to say that I DID NOT attack this person just wanted to let them know if they post a responce they have other people watching and are not going to sit back and take this kind of noninformation. I've read many post by this person and am totaly amazed at the things they say. He asked about setting up a protein skimmer and if they had done ANY research that they said they have done they might have a general idea of what they do and how they work!! Their are many many new people in this hobby that are doing the research and have ?'s and thats good but the ones that just jump in because they saw Nemo and want that fish then " think they know it all" is the problem. I've been keeping reef tanks before You were even born and I still have many?'s So lets just leave it at that and anybody that reads this just make sure you have the Facts before telling anybody what to do!!
Dave

redvipe2010
02/01/2007, 03:00 PM
Very well put!