PDA

View Full Version : Kangaroo pump mod for timers

Aquatic Reef Creations
01/29/2007, 09:45 AM
Hi gang,
I know that this topic has come up in the past and I have done several searches for this info, without any luck.
I have a Kangaroo 324 that I have made the drip sensor mod and drip set mod to. I know that there is a way to disable the battery and make the changes to allow for a timer to be used. There is a company out there that is doing this. There is even a person on E-Bay that is offering to make these mods for a lot of $$$. And when this person makes the mods, the casing is made unopenable (according to his offering).
Is there anyone out there that has been able to figure out what needs to happen to make the pump timer friendly? If so, will you please share the knowledge?
Thanks,
Kevin

Aquatic Reef Creations
01/29/2007, 09:15 PM
bump for the night crowd

Donw
01/30/2007, 07:26 PM
All they are doing is cutting the pump drive motor wires and triggering a relay with a timer.

Don

BeanAnimal
01/30/2007, 07:57 PM
Don, I am pretty sure that the pump motor is part of a feedback loop. Break the circuit and an alarm condition is raised. The feebback loop either has to be jumpered out or simulated.

Donw
01/30/2007, 08:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9117796#post9117796 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
Don, I am pretty sure that the pump motor is part of a feedback loop. Break the circuit and an alarm condition is raised. The feebback loop either has to be jumpered out or simulated.

I paid the $75 for the conversion then cut the thing open since they glued it shut so you cant see the mods. The sensor bypass is just like the article posted on the web. The timer part is a chopped motor wire going to a little jack. The jack just goes to a little black box with a relay inside. This goes to a wall wart that gets plugged into a regular lamp timer.

Waste of $75

Don

Aquatic Reef Creations
01/30/2007, 09:50 PM
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the replies.
Don: If I am understanding this correctly, one of the motor wires is cut with both leads attached to a jack mounted in the back of the pump. The jack is connected to a relay that is controlled by the timer. So, the control circuit acts as though it is still running but the timer and relay cut out the motor. Was there any other wiring mods that you are aware of?
Please let me know if this is correct.
Thanks
Kevin

Donw
01/30/2007, 10:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9118988#post9118988 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aquatic Reef Creations
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the replies.
Don: If I am understanding this correctly, one of the motor wires is cut with both leads attached to a jack mounted in the back of the pump. The jack is connected to a relay that is controlled by the timer. So, the control circuit acts as though it is still running but the timer and relay cut out the motor. Was there any other wiring mods that you are aware of?
Please let me know if this is correct.
Thanks
Kevin

Yes thats all they did to mine. I think its a 324. Let me know if you dont get it and I'll dig mine out of the attic and take some pics.

Don

Aquatic Reef Creations
01/30/2007, 11:15 PM
Pics would be great if it is not too much trouble.

BeanAnimal
01/31/2007, 08:32 AM
I will have to take mine apart and play around with it.

Donw
01/31/2007, 10:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9120021#post9120021 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aquatic Reef Creations
Pics would be great if it is not too much trouble.

It will have to wait till next week end its up in the attic with all the junk I may want to use some day. Its no pretty I cut it open on the table saw. I guess I should have read the fine print.

Don:)

SW Steve
02/06/2007, 01:08 AM
I would be very interested to see some pics of the timer mod as well!

SW Steve
02/17/2007, 04:34 PM
Any chance we'll get those pics, Donw?

Donw
02/17/2007, 04:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9266706#post9266706 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SW Steve
Any chance we'll get those pics, Donw?

Sorry I forgot all about getting those for you. I'll see if I can find the thing.

Don

SW Steve
03/30/2007, 11:47 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz?????

BeanAnimal
03/30/2007, 11:57 PM
heh?

What is with the very strange posts this evening....

SW Steve
03/31/2007, 12:16 AM
The "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" means that I'm tired! Tired of waiting for a response from DonW from over a month ago:p I'm sure he just forgot again.;) But I'm still not moving from my computer until I get a response. I'm sure it will be any day now:wildone:

corndogg
03/31/2007, 12:48 AM
Does anyone have a link to the thread showing how to disable the drip detector?

corndogg
03/31/2007, 12:51 AM
Found it. Search finally works

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=337892&highlight=drip+detector