PDA

View Full Version : What Canister Filter for a 150gal?

ReefGeekster
07/30/2002, 02:47 AM
What Canister Filter would be good for a 150gal? Sump and Hang on is out of the question due to the custom stand. It will contain a 2" live sand bed and live rock and more of a fish only with live rock and maybe a anemone and a couple of LPS's, lighting will be 12' VHO's (2 6' on each side) with two 400watts halide.
Dual Fluval 404's?:confused:

cisco
07/30/2002, 03:52 AM
goldsmith
G'day cannister filters are a no no in reef aquariums, you a better of with a deep sand bed, circulation and a skimmer, go to the search site and look up DSB, you will get all the goodys on this and it will tell you how to set up, also look up live sand..
good luck cisco

DgenR8
07/30/2002, 05:27 AM
Cisco is correct, live rock (1 to 1.5 Lbs per gallon of tank capacity) and a DSB will provide adequate filtration for your system as long as you do not overstock.
Searching the board for DSB will give you enough hits to read for a month straight. Here's a couple links to follow so you don't have to wade through a ton of threads to find the info you need.

http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/r_shimek_090698.html

http://www.reefkeepers.org/faq/cache/33.html

ReefGeekster
07/30/2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by cisco
goldsmith
G'day cannister filters are a no no in reef aquariums, you a better of with a deep sand bed, circulation and a skimmer, go to the search site and look up DSB, you will get all the goodys on this and it will tell you how to set up, also look up live sand..
good luck cisco

Im going to use 150lbs. of #5 argonite and 50lbs. of live sand with live rock. So I really don't need a outside filter? Even without a sump? Planning on wavemaker with powerheads to circulate the water.

ReefGeekster
07/30/2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by DgenR8
Cisco is correct, live rock (1 to 1.5 Lbs per gallon of tank capacity) and a DSB will provide adequate filtration for your system as long as you do not overstock.
Searching the board for DSB will give you enough hits to read for a month straight. Here's a couple links to follow so you don't have to wade through a ton of threads to find the info you need.

http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/r_shimek_090698.html

http://www.reefkeepers.org/faq/cache/33.html

Thanks for the links, will do some more research. I may have a decent size fish load though, Clown Trigger, Miniata grouper, Foxface Magnificent rabbitfish, Flame dwarf angel, two Tangs (Hippo and Scopas) , Maroon clown, Green Wrasse and a Harlequin Tusk and was thinking of a canister filter like a Fluval 404 for particle filtration. All fish are less the 5" now except the Foxface Magnificent rabbitfish he's 7-8". What do you think of the Fish load? The only that really is optional is the Miniata Grouper.

cisco
07/31/2002, 03:57 AM
goldsmith
with that bio load you are going to need a good skimmer, I don't know if you have one now so if you don't you will need one with all those fish, if you don't know witch to get there is a lot of information here on all types of skimmers, I run a Aquac EV-240,
very good ones are Aerofoamar, Euroreef, ETS Evo, my reef, the list goes on, they all do a great job of skimming.
heres a site to see some comparisons on this skimmers.
www.thereefweb.com

so good luck cisco

DgenR8
07/31/2002, 07:18 AM
That is quite a Bio load, do you feed live food? Feeding live will increase pollution in the system, if you aren't feeding live now, don't start! If you are, consider switching to prepared foods.
I second Cisco's recommendation to get a good skimmer running on that tank ASAP if you don't already have one.

ReefGeekster
07/31/2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by DgenR8
That is quite a Bio load, do you feed live food? Feeding live will increase pollution in the system, if you aren't feeding live now, don't start! If you are, consider switching to prepared foods.
I second Cisco's recommendation to get a good skimmer running on that tank ASAP if you don't already have one.

No live food, frozen food a combination of 5 different frozen foods mixed with Selcon or Zoe and Garlic Extreme, they say if you feed live food the aggression level elevates also. I do krill and Formula one too and also soak it in the Selcon/Zoe and Garlic Extreme. The fish are extemely colorful, fat and full of energy. Yes Skimmer is attached and working well.

ReefGeekster
07/31/2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by cisco
goldsmith
with that bio load you are going to need a good skimmer, I don't know if you have one now so if you don't you will need one with all those fish, if you don't know witch to get there is a lot of information here on all types of skimmers, I run a Aquac EV-240,
very good ones are Aerofoamar, Euroreef, ETS Evo, my reef, the list goes on, they all do a great job of skimming.
heres a site to see some comparisons on this skimmers.
www.thereefweb.com

so good luck cisco

Thanks for the link, I'm a firm believer of skimmer use.

NorthCoast
07/31/2002, 02:45 PM
Goldsmithn,

I would personally skip the Miniata Grouper. We had a 300 gallon FOWLR my former office with a Miniata Grouper. I would think that the Clownfish and Flame Angel will thank you. This fish ate every clownfish, damsel, chromis, and dwarf angel that was in the tank... it often tried to eat a 4" picasso trigger, but, couldn't get it in its mouth. This fish was also not very friendly while doing maintenance and cleaning.

Later,
NC

ReefGeekster
07/31/2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by NorthCoast
Goldsmithn,

I would personally skip the Miniata Grouper. We had a 300 gallon FOWLR my former office with a Miniata Grouper. I would think that the Clownfish and Flame Angel will thank you. This fish ate every clownfish, damsel, chromis, and dwarf angel that was in the tank... it often tried to eat a 4" picasso trigger, but, couldn't get it in its mouth. This fish was also not very friendly while doing maintenance and cleaning.

Later,
NC

Thanks for the input, I think I will take your advise. Though it is a beauitful fish and all, but a waste generator and like you mention a threat to anything smaller fish. Though I will get a Harlequin Tusk since it's no real theat to fish. The crabs and snails will be safe since there won't be any.

Any suggestions to a clean up crew (besides me, myself and I) for a FOWLR :wave:

bensreef
08/01/2002, 12:57 AM
NO NO NONONONON..... do not put a canaster on there!!!! use a deep sand bed, live rock, and even a hang on skimmer. or if you must since it is a more fish only tank......a hang on wet dry. but I would go with the dsb, lr, and skimmer

ReefGeekster
08/01/2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by bensreef
NO NO NONONONON..... do not put a canaster on there!!!! use a deep sand bed, live rock, and even a hang on skimmer. or if you must since it is a more fish only tank......a hang on wet dry. but I would go with the dsb, lr, and skimmer

have all above, DBS, Live Rocks, and skimmer. Though would like a water polisher.

scottydawg
08/01/2002, 02:24 AM
Just thought I would mention you will probably need a lot more than 150 pounds of sand to get a DSB. My 85 gallon took 180 pounds to get a 4"-5" bed. HTH

bensreef
08/01/2002, 03:10 PM
you can use activated carbon to polish your water. thats all your canister filter will do to polish your water. just add a filter bag in high flow areas with carbon in it