PDA

View Full Version : what is the best way to mount ricordea

disney95
01/26/2007, 09:39 PM
what is the best way to mount ricordea
thanks

kiknchikn
01/26/2007, 10:43 PM
There are many ways to do it, but the best way depends on the size of the polyp in my opinion.

If the polyp is large the best method is probably to sew the polyp to a rock using small gauge fishing line or the plastic sewing thread that is just like fishing line.

For smaller rics my favorite method is to use bridal veil to hold it against a rock, but many people seem to have great success with putting a bunch of rubble in a small glass jar like a baby food jar, laying the rics on the rubble, and then putting the jar in a low flow area until they attach.

disney95
01/26/2007, 10:50 PM
thanks

bigScott
01/27/2007, 01:34 PM
i let mine attach to rubble in my frag tank, then glue rubble to a plug or a rock..

SCOTT

bitis316
01/27/2007, 11:03 PM
I just started using the filter media bag trick.....I works so awesome......All of these fruit loop rics my dad has been sending me have not been mounted to anything......Take a filter media bag....place the ric on the rock.....Place them both in the bag.....Tie it closed.....Pull down gently, to were the ric is semi snug....but this still allow the ric to get the light and flow needed until it settles....Without floating away....Mine have been taking about three days......I got the idea from someone on this forum....Great idea......

smp
01/27/2007, 11:20 PM
I like to put rubble into a small plastic container, put the container in a low flow area in the tank (helps if you have a frag tank), then just drop the polyps in there and they will eventually attach to the rubble.
The container will keep the polyps from floating away.

kiknchikn
01/28/2007, 01:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9092946#post9092946 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bitis316
I just started using the filter media bag trick.....I works so awesome......All of these fruit loop rics my dad has been sending me have not been mounted to anything......Take a filter media bag....place the ric on the rock.....Place them both in the bag.....Tie it closed.....Pull down gently, to were the ric is semi snug....but this still allow the ric to get the light and flow needed until it settles....Without floating away....Mine have been taking about three days......I got the idea from someone on this forum....Great idea......

I bet you can do the same thing by making a pouch out of bridal veil. I might have to try that. Thanks :D

kimboslice
01/28/2007, 04:17 AM
what exactly do u guys mean by rubble?? very tiny rocks?? 1 inch rocks?? how big??

kiknchikn
01/28/2007, 12:08 PM
I prefer rubble that is less than a ½ inch and pretty flat so I can glue it to a bigger rock in the tank without it sticking out real far, but that's just me.

smp
01/28/2007, 12:57 PM
I like arranging my ricordia right on the bottom of my tank, so I have no preference about what size rocks it attaches to. Generally, anything from 1/2" to 1.5" or so.

bigScott
01/28/2007, 03:42 PM
a filter media bag>? can ya tell me more on that..or post a pic..
thanks..

scott

bitis316
01/28/2007, 05:23 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/138429filter.jpg

cowbell
01/31/2007, 11:11 AM
Great idea!