PDA

View Full Version : Best use of canister filter

taillonjohn
01/26/2007, 08:31 AM
right now I have floss in there, and I like to run carbon. I've been reading that people like to put live rock in their canister. Is there an added advantage to having one piece of LR in the canister, more advantage than carbon? The tank is already full of LR, so what would be the advantage to having another LR in the caister? Any idea's?

Glove
01/26/2007, 08:35 AM
I do not see much advantage in putting one piece of LR into a canister fiilter- it will add a little more bacteria.

I find cansters are great for sweeping out my sump and bare bottom display. I keep one going with floss and carbon almost 24-7.

taillonjohn
01/26/2007, 08:40 AM
yeah I agree. floss and carbon 24/7 for me too. Just wondering if anyone out there is able to persuade differently

akrimmel
01/26/2007, 11:25 AM
putming one piece of LR in the canister in a tank that is full with LR wont be anymore beneficial, just run the carbon and floss and you will be ok.

steri
01/26/2007, 11:30 AM
I agree with the above. Personally, I have LR rubble rock in my canisters with carbon, but I can't tell you for certain that it is making any more or less of a difference. I just had a lot of rubble rock, and I figured, "that's a good place for it."

Also I figured, since I had the LR rubble, I might as well use it becuase i didn't like the way rubble looked in the main tank....personally.

steri
01/26/2007, 11:32 AM
I guess the only argument I can really see for puting LR in the canister is that you are guarenteed the flow to move through that rock and the bacteria on that rock should really help to cleanse the water.

But in all honesty, if you have good flow in your water, you should already feel like your water is flowing through the LR in your tank.

akrimmel
01/26/2007, 11:36 AM
he'll do what's best.