PDA

View Full Version : Coraline - Do YOU let it grow on the glass?

saltman123
01/26/2007, 12:25 AM
I was wondering you people let Coraline grow on the glass or not.

I have a small circle, about half the size of a penny growing in the front side of the tank. I tried to scrape it off with my nible nano magnet but it wasn't budging. Probably have to take a razor blade to it.

The back of my tank is full of it, but there are a few mini spots trying to grow on the glass.

Anyone leave them? I am thinking it is better to whack them so they don't get big and block the view.

drummereef
01/26/2007, 12:27 AM
I let the coralline grow on the back glass. If your tank is glass then a razor blade works well at getting it off, but don't use a razor on acrylic.

saltman123
01/26/2007, 12:55 AM
Tank is Glass on the front, but I have a plastic false wall on the back for filter chambers. I have a 12 gallon AquaPod.

Definitely letting it grow nicely on the back wall, but am going to whack the front patches on the glass.

Putawaywet
01/26/2007, 01:59 AM
Everytime this question comes up the masses always seem to be split in their preferences. Basically, it comes down to asthetics and not really much more. Personally, I walk the road that a clean tank makes your corals "pop" more and just looks... well "clean" . Yet, the other side of the fence claims coralline looks more "natural". So to each their own I guess. After all, it's your tank.

Brett

Sk8r
01/26/2007, 02:02 AM
Asterina starfish eat it, but can't dent the rate of growth I have: razors are the answer for glass. But if you do keep it off, it will be slow growing back, unlike algae.

saltman123
01/26/2007, 02:50 AM
I have 2 small asterina's but I've only seen them for about a week and I think they are already gone. They are always on this one big rock that is full of coraline. Too bad they don't jump up there and eat these chunks away.

Ever watch your Asterina stars? Do they leave a bunch of white dots on the coraline? I think they do since I can see a ton of white spots all over it. If so, they eat a LOT!