PDA

View Full Version : Fish Trap?

RokleM
01/25/2007, 08:03 PM
GRRRRRR... I really hate this hobby sometimes.

A little while back I put my black clowns in my hospital tank, as the female came down with some pretty serious issues. She was probably seconds from death for weeks, and is finally cured and healthy. I introduced them both back into the tank, and my sixline who has never show aggression goes psycho. It chased them around the tank, beating them up for almost four hours before I could get them back out again.

None the less, want him out of there. I have no idea why he snapped. Anyone have a good way to catch him or know where the fish trap is?

And of course, I lost two small clams to the monster crab I can't catch either... So irritated right now.

:furious:

BTW, anyone know of a good fish that handles pest control, but isn't as PSYCHO as a sixline?

icu2
01/25/2007, 08:13 PM
leopard wrasse

Norm R
01/25/2007, 08:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9074763#post9074763 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by icu2
leopard wrasse

icu2, can you keep these long-term? I've always been tempted but have seen mixed reviews. I'd love one.

TOURKID
01/25/2007, 08:19 PM
ouch. did u locate where the crab sleeps yet?? killing my crabs was my most frustrating feat so far. (actually the whole reason i went with base rock, seriously!)

Im sure this sounds rediculous to someone with a 180 gallon... but it worked for me lol

I went to jo ann fabrics ans bought a bunch of needle point plastic. I used it to block every single escape route my tang had. crvices caves etcetc. after all was blocked there was no where to go but right out in front. granted your fish is smaller and faster... but it worked 4 me.....

crab is going to be much harder :(

szwab
01/25/2007, 09:00 PM
check with Brad (mantis) on the trap. he is the keeper :)

you could also try taking the 6 line out then reintroduce him a week or so later. the only downside is if it doesn't work you'll have to catch him again....

RokleM
01/25/2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks szwab. I'll shoot him a PM. I thought about leaving him out for a while, but this was aggression unlike I've ever seen before.

No clue where the crab sleeps, and it only shows it's face once in a while.

szwab
01/25/2007, 10:45 PM
BTW I am very fond of pseudochromis Fridmanis but I don't think they deal with the same pests as the sixline :)

jh2pizza
01/26/2007, 08:55 AM
If Brad doesnt have it, I have a fist trap I can bring to Cavemans in the morning if we are still moving his tank into place.

icu2
01/26/2007, 11:48 AM
I had a leopard wrasse for a while but noticed they were an extremely non-aggressive fish (my six line killed it).

RokleM
01/26/2007, 06:12 PM
Swinging by Brad's place tomorrow to grab the trap. Wish me luck ;)

tye_c
01/27/2007, 04:22 AM
I have pseudochromis Fridmani and pseudochromis porphyreus. They seem to do some work on bristle and flat worms.

RokleM
01/27/2007, 02:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9079329#post9079329 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by icu2
I had a leopard wrasse for a while but noticed they were an extremely non-aggressive fish (my six line killed it).

Which one did you have (see at least four types)?

icu2
01/27/2007, 08:03 PM
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
(Macropharyngodon bipartitus)

link (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=304)

RokleM
01/27/2007, 08:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9091519#post9091519 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by icu2
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
(Macropharyngodon bipartitus)

link (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=304)

Any problems getting it to eat prepared foods, Mysis, cylopeeze, etc?

icu2
01/27/2007, 08:37 PM
It ate brine and mysis fine... poor guy just got the crap kicked out of him!

Easily Distracted
01/29/2007, 09:35 AM
Sounds like while the clowns were out of the tank, the wrasse got comfortable with the newfound territory. When you reintroduced the clowns, they were now a threat to his territory. Did you try rearranging some rockwork to throw him off a little as you introduced them? Or you could try removing them all for a few days and then reintroduce them back together. Then it's an even playing field.

TOURKID
01/29/2007, 10:22 AM
gosh it seems like my wrasse cant do anything right. lol I finally got my wrasse and dotty out of qt and added em to my 45 with the 2 clowns, and nobodys being nice to the wrasse. maroons control the right side, dottys taking the left and the wrasse is just swimming around the middle trying to avoid them all. i feel bad, cant wait to get them in the 90.

maroons being WAY nicer than expected though. isent attacking unless the wras gets to close to the gbta :)

RokleM
01/29/2007, 10:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9103509#post9103509 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Easily Distracted
Sounds like while the clowns were out of the tank, the wrasse got comfortable with the newfound territory. When you reintroduced the clowns, they were now a threat to his territory. Did you try rearranging some rockwork to throw him off a little as you introduced them? Or you could try removing them all for a few days and then reintroduce them back together. Then it's an even playing field.

Yes, I moved a number of things around and created new obstacles in the tank. It unfortunately only caught his attention for a few minutes.

Highly debating a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse, but from what I've read they aren't very easy.

RokleM
01/29/2007, 10:40 AM
And FYI, no luck with the trap yet. I've put food in there, and sat for about a half an hour waiting for him to even come close to it without any luck. I've even put some rubble rock in there that hopefully he'll want to check out.

I'll try again tonight.

Easily Distracted
01/29/2007, 10:43 AM
http://sjl-static1.sjl.youtube.com/vi/bi7Yeujm2H8/2.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi7Yeujm2H8

When it's time to change, you have to rearrange....

TOURKID - you might not be old enough to understand...;)

RokleM
01/31/2007, 09:09 PM
Well, it's a cool device, but only works if at least ONE of your fish go in (let alone the one you're trying to catch).

I've had it in a few of the sixline's favorite spots, baited it with food, sat for hours on end, and I haven't seen anything go inside the trap yet. I've tried "hiding" a net inside the tank in plain view with the hopes of getting him, but can never get my hands on it fast enough. And of course, he currently sleeps in the middle of my massive pile of rocks.

Looking for any tips, tricks, or otherwise, short of tearing everything out. I need to get it done, because after his episode with the clowns, he's becoming more bold. He's been darting short bursts after the anthias now. I'd love to see him irritate the male anthias in hopes he would pummel the sixline into submission.

szwab
01/31/2007, 09:24 PM
try leaving it in the tank for a couple of days. feeding the fish from it then once they get comfortable try to catch him.
patience is the key. you could also try the baited hook method.

TOURKID
01/31/2007, 09:36 PM
Easily Distracted - shame on you, the bradys is the first tv show i have a recollection of watching. i donno how old i was, but the carpet was orange, the walls were paneled, and i was fasinated with that show lol ok.. def wasent near kindergarden yet... I like being thought of as young tho. i get irritated when i dont get carded anymore. it just started happening :(
so how young is the youngest cora member? kids dont count.

rokle.. try leaving the net in the tank out in the open so it starts to seem like a decoration, then swoop in one day when its eatting? feed it to the nem? (eek, j/k) but it might work :D

RokleM
01/31/2007, 10:29 PM
Yeah, both the trap and net are in the tank as we speak. I need to go get one of the 10-12" suckers to up my chances.

He's smart, and that's my greatest fear. If he catches on (if he hasn't already) to what I'm doing, and I don't get him the first attempt, it's all over ;)

RokleM
02/01/2007, 06:23 PM
Forget the fancy fish trap!!!! :eek2: :lol: I spent probably 3 hours stalking him with that thing and he didn't enter it once even when baited with food.

12" net, strategically placed, 10 minutes, first try and I got him! Off to the sump with you. I actually spooked him, and he ended up jumping INTO the net instead of fleeing. Probably mostly luck ;)

Clowns are already back in, and happy to see their tang buddy again.

TOURKID
02/01/2007, 06:26 PM
dident jump right into the nem you 'strategically' dumped them in? ;)

szwab
02/01/2007, 06:58 PM
glad to hear stability has been restored to your reef community, funny how things work out.

RokleM
02/01/2007, 07:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9135275#post9135275 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TOURKID
dident jump right into the nem you 'strategically' dumped them in? ;)

I tried. I placed the basket over the anemone, and they slipped out the sides brushing up against it. Maybe they'll work their way back there.

TOURKID
02/01/2007, 08:00 PM
I hope so :) my clowns found my Obta (orange :D) lastnight, doing alot of wiggling, but they dont hang out for long

RokleM
02/01/2007, 08:01 PM
I saw the update, that's awesome :) Your female could love that thing to death in minutes.

TOURKID
02/01/2007, 08:13 PM
tell me about it, it makes her look like a monster lol but luckily its the male that has more of a fondness for it. she chases him back to the green one now and then :)