PDA

View Full Version : I know,another LR question

TommyBoy
07/29/2002, 09:56 AM
Just got my LR from jeff's exotic. I got some Marshall Island that had just came in and had not even been unboxed yet. really like the look of the rock..really branchy and has differant types of color of Fugi I have in my nano.
Whats the concenus on cleaning rock outside main tank.Rock is currently in my old 72 bow skimming away while i wait for my new upsize tank. Is it ok to take out each piece and lightly brush off rock or is this dirt valuable to keep and just leave rock alone to fully cure. Im also not turning lights on for the first 2 weeks as recommended to help on algea breakout.
Oh buy the way on my order from Jeff (100pds.) i received about 10-12 pieces of rock and about a handfull of rubble. I was amazed of the size and shapes of this stuff.

adamgrandprix
07/29/2002, 10:21 AM
I'd remove the rock to clean it up... but be quick and/or keep it wet.
Also, i'd run the lights for a few hours per day... you might get some nuisance algae, but if there is anything left living on the rock that requires light, you should provide it some light to survive.

If it was mine, i'd run the lights for 4 hours per day and i'd trim down all the macro algae on the rock(if any). This probably won't get rid of the macro algae unless you are completely picking it off (your choice) but it will let anything that the macro algae might be covering up get to the light.

adamgrandprix
07/29/2002, 10:22 AM
oh... and I'd do some water changes if the Ammonia/Nitrite/or Nitrate levels get too high. It will take longer to cycle the rock, but you will end up with a lot more life in/on your rock this way.