PDA

View Full Version : Ebo-Jager/Eheim Jager heaters

pc1blues
01/24/2007, 11:29 PM
Was looking to buy a new heater this past week and ran into some conflicting information about the Ebo-Jager/Eheim Jager heaters. Several retail outlet and forum sponsors indicated on their websites that the new Jager heaters were no longer completely submersible but only submersible to a line indicated on the heater. Others said that they were totally submersible. I went ahead and emailed Eheim asking for a clarification. Here is their response.

Please note that the EBo-Jager heaters model TS have been now discontinued for the last 2 years. The heaters sold by most retailers are EHEIM JAGER heaters. You are free to post the following explanation:

JAGER heaters are fully submersible according to European standards. However since the production of JAGER heaters was moved to Germany when EHEIM acquired the company, a new UL certificate must be issued for the “New” company. This new certificate must be issued to comply with the North American standards, until then the heater must be labeled as not submersible in North America. Please note that all JAGER heaters comply with ETL standards, which is the European Equivalent of the UL certificate.

Ernesto Cedeno
Technical Support
support@eheim.com
http://www.eheim.com/http://www.eheim.com/
EHEIM North America Reg.

Hope this clears up and answers any question that others may have had in looking to purchase one of these heaters.

drummereef
01/24/2007, 11:36 PM
That's why I use a visi-therm heater now. :)

amike5
01/25/2007, 12:37 AM
Sounds like its just a technicality to me.

beaniebeagle
01/25/2007, 01:21 AM
use two 200w heaters in my sump without any problems...completely submerged. they go off/on whenever told to by my AC jr

and i keep forgeting to turn them off when i put my hand in the sump.....but no problems/no shocks

and i like the fact that they can be recalibrated if need be

VoidRaven
01/25/2007, 09:09 AM
I switched to the Stealth heaters after a fiasco with the "new" Jager heaters. Had a Jager, it failed (shocking I know but true), found out about the whole deal with the buy-out/merger, spoke with Eheim and they REFUSED to do anything about it. Talked very politely to several folks there but they would not honor the warranty or anything. So I called Marine Depot, whom I bought the heater through, told them the whole story, and they took care of it. Sent me a replacement (and thankfully it was a TRUE Ebo-Jager and not one of these crappy Jager heaters), apologized for how Eheim treated me, and said they would look into the issue.

Folks do need to know...if the heater you are buying says just "Jager" on the top it is NOT an "original" Ebo-Jager. It is a different product. I still have my original Ebo-Jager and it's working like a champ but any new heaters I buy are Stealth heaters. I avoid Eheim products now whenever I can.