PDA

View Full Version : Ich Clarification

zigrat88
01/23/2007, 09:40 AM
All - Just need some clarification on Ich. First question is can it appear out of no where? I thought that if you had your main tank free it couldn't just pop up unless something was added to you're tank.

Secondly the white dots that are the common indicator. How long would they stay in the same place on the fish? I have always had water with alot of white dots flowing around in it, and my fish usually have dots on them. But if I check back later on they are gone, or in a different place. Wouldn't ich spots be consistent for a while?

Hattie B
01/23/2007, 03:44 PM
Hello,

Ich can live in substrate, come in on snails or hermits just about anything wet.

Yes, white dots, the cysts which is a parasite is feeding on the fish. It will feed for a few days then it will naturally fall off the fish into the tank for breeding. That is why sometimes you see a fish covered with ich and then it looks better in a couple days the it looks worse again when reinfection occurs.

HB

zigrat88
01/23/2007, 04:07 PM
But in theroy in a closed system w/ no new additions you should never just have an "outbreak". Numerous posts I see talk about outbreaks, but unless you have something new, like a snail or coral, that should never happen.

Also it does sound like the white spots should stay for some period of time, like a day or two.. and not just appear then dissappear after a few hours.

I need to keep those damn fish from playing in the sand...

Hattie B
01/23/2007, 04:45 PM
LOL.. Playing in the sand.

In reality the ICH was probably intorduced at one time or another. Then when something changed, water qaulity which stressed the fish the parastie attacked the fish when its immune system was less the optimal.

IMO, when cyclying a tank you add the water LR and wait right, usually 4-6 + weeks depending on curing and what not, No host at the time for ICh. So you don't have ICh.
The add cleanup crew; possibily ICH here if not QT'd. Then more often then not people start adding fish right away right? if the fish get stressed then the parasite has the opportunity to host.

Once it hosts and get ahold of the fish it can be a continous cycle. Thats where the spots appear then fall off the can reinfect.

It's hard to wait and QT everything. I mean people get into the hobby to enjoy fish but few prevenitive steps in the beginning and most likly a main tank ICH free forever.

HB