PDA

View Full Version : Transfer of livestock

robin
07/28/2002, 01:07 AM
Hi Ron

I've had no joy on the anemone forum with this one. Can you help?

Can I transfer my reef safe livestock to my new system when it's ready, without inadvertently bringing in the dreaded M(a?)ojanos too?

Robin

rshimek
07/28/2002, 11:30 AM
Hi Robin,

If the majanos move like Aiptasia, you are likely to have problems. Fish, you can move without problems. Corals, snails, crustaceans all could have larvae or small animals on their shells or skeletons.

With close inspection, you might be able to do it.

Good luck! :D

robin
07/28/2002, 12:11 PM
Ron

I think I'll leave well alone. When they first appeared, we all said "How nice! Some little green rock anemones" :eek2:. Eventually every piece of LR and pipe work was blanketed in Majanos. You could almost comb 'em! Even the shells of snails and hermits had 'em. There was even a line of 'em right around the water line. They spread like wild fire. Too fast growing to zap with kalk. Stubbier than aiptasia and mostly with green centres. Even today I'm not totally sure what has disposed of 'em. After all the coral was stung to death, I introduced a copperband, a bi-colour, a coral beauty and 5 pencil urchins. I also upped the sg and temp. Now the main tank is virtually clear but I still have 'em in the sump which suggests one or more of the live stock has been munching 'em. I strongly suspect the urchins do the work.

Some of these majano munchers are not reef friendly. Any ideas on livestock for the new set-up, to keep it majano & aiptasia free? I heard peppermint shrimps might do. Any thoughts?

Robin

rshimek
07/29/2002, 06:40 AM
Hi Robin,

Peppermint shrimps are general polyp eaters and may be able to keep up with a majano infestation - if it is a light one. On the other hand, the success of using the shrimps to control Aiptasia is spotty. They work in some cases, but not in others.

For Aiptasia control, I recommend a copperband butterfly fish. I have not heard of ANY successful control for majanos, so I can't really advise you.

'Bout all I can say is "Good Luck."

:frog: