PDA

View Full Version : Bio Balls? Use them or not?

smacdone
01/22/2007, 12:17 AM
I bought a used tank and it came with bioballs that were in the corner overflow. I heard they arent really necessary just wanted someone else's opinion on if i should continue to use them or just run the tank without bioballs

hex
01/22/2007, 12:34 AM
The problem with bioballs is that unless you clean them regularly they can build up nitrates quickly. So if you are using liverock or some other filtration then it's probably best not to bother with them.

I should also say that if there are a lot in an existing tank, you should take them out slowly. There is a lot of useful bacteria on the balls and removing them all at once may throw off the ballance in you tank.

kau_cinta_ku
01/22/2007, 12:34 AM
if you have enough LR in the tank then no take them out. but otherwise leave them in. you want 1-2 lbs of LR in the tank

jaw969
01/22/2007, 01:47 AM
I have had tanks with bio balls and some without. The aquariums with bioballs had more problems (nitrate levels etc...)

I would try not to use them..... Like posted before enough live rock will do the trick.

cowboyswife
01/22/2007, 08:44 AM
Sorry to barge into the thread, but I have a question. My 40g has 65 lbs of LR. Does that mean I can get away with slowly taking out the bioballs and having nothing in my sump? I dont have a refugium.

hmello@bermexin
01/22/2007, 08:53 AM
I have heard many different opinions on Bio Balls. "they are a Nitrate dump", They are doing what they should be, converting nitrite to nitrate and you must do water changes to reduce your nitrates". I am so confused. If you have enough LR and LS in the tank, isn't there a benifit to having the bio-balls doing what they sould be doing and maybe changing 1/4 to 1/2 of them every 6 months to a year?

tsmonrad
01/23/2007, 05:36 AM
I guess I need the same direction. I have the same unit as hmello. 29 g biocube with 30lbs of live rock + live sand.
tank has been running for 6 weeks. it sounds like i should begin removing the balls. what should be put in its place? charcoal? bigger question is that this 29g biocube is a new system, why are they selling it with old technology?

cowboyswife
01/23/2007, 09:09 AM
I know some people use a filter sock instead, and some use crushed LR.