PDA

View Full Version : UV sterilizer Q

Monkey55
01/19/2007, 08:56 PM
My tank is one month old, and yesterday I finally got my UV Sterilzer. I have a 29G Tank on 12 hour light cycles, and my UV sterilizer is a AA Brand (watt sterilizer. After being on for one day, I have green stuff all over my tank. I thought UV sterilizers helped kill algae. How come this is happening. Is the green stuff perhaps dead algae?

Should I just clean my glass and keep the sterilizer on?

My bubble coral doesn't seem to be happy about this situation, as it has retracted a lot, especially the parts of it that have had a lot of green stuff settle on it.

What should I do?

scrmbld33
01/19/2007, 09:13 PM
what are your water params? are you running the recommended flow through the uv? i would clean the glass, do a small water change, my uv cleaned grean algae out my 90 in 2 days, it is possible something else happened causing the outbreak around the time of the uv install

Monkey55
01/19/2007, 09:52 PM
I put in a protein skimmer at the same time yesterday, and did a 20% water change as well yesterday. I haven't checked water params in two days, but this is my second water change this week and the last water params were as close to as good as it gets.

O ammonia
.1 mg/l nitrite
3 nitrate
.5 mg/l phos
80 degrees
8.3 PH
460 mg/l Calcium
good alkalinity

and again, I did a 20% change since then (yesterday)

Anyways, I turned the sterilizer off until I figure out what is going on.

Anyy other people that might be able to help or have a answer as well?

Monkey55
01/19/2007, 09:54 PM
I put the sterilizer right in front of the filter inlet, maybe it slowed down the flow of the tank's water, would that do it?