PDA

View Full Version : Kalk accident - sorta

KAiNE
01/17/2007, 09:44 AM
I drip kalk at a rate of about 4.5 gallons a day. I use a 30g reservoir with a medical type dosing pump. When i mix up a new batch i gravity feed from my ro/di reservoir, i use a small power head to aid mixing because the flow from ro/di isnt strong.
Last night it was time to mixup a new batch and i realized i had left the powerhead on from the last time i mixed a batch, there was still a crust on top but the powerhead seemed to have kept the solids in suspension meaning I had been dosing that over the last week. I also had noticed that my PH had been higher last week but i thought it was due to having some windows open in the house.

Normal PH - 8.05 to 8.2
Last week - 8.15 to 8.25
Monitored via bi-monthly calibrated pinpoint probe. My current PH as i type this is 8.12 about half an hour before lights on so it seems its falling back into my normal range.

Did this cause any harm? Is it something i can continue doing to help keep PH up more?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/17/2007, 12:05 PM
There is no substantial harm from that in the short term, but in general I prefer to not dose the impurities that settle out of limewater. Some folks do, however, and if it is the only way to keep pH at acceptable levels, the trade off may be worth it.

KAiNE
01/17/2007, 12:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9004069#post9004069 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
There is no substantial harm from that in the short term, but in general I prefer to not dose the impurities that settle out of limewater. Some folks do, however, and if it is the only way to keep pH at acceptable levels, the trade off may be worth it.

Thanks!

but.... dont you think my "normal" PH levels are acceptable? I'd like it higher but nothing i do seems to work. One thing that did help a little was using the aeration test, I found that my sump room's CO2 level was substantially higher than the tank room. I decreased aeration in the sump room and it increased PH slightly.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/17/2007, 04:22 PM
Yes, I do think it is OK as is. But you were asking about raising them, and if it dropped below 8.0, I might want to see it raised. :)

KAiNE
01/17/2007, 04:32 PM
Thanks!!

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/17/2007, 04:44 PM
You're welcome.

Happy reefing. :)