PDA

View Full Version : 75G/90G Reef - Newbie - not DIYer - advice?

Skier1
01/15/2007, 09:14 PM
Better half recently saw a reef tank at a neighbors home and has given the o.k. for a reef tank for the home. (Been on my wish list for years...) I've read alot, cruised the net, podcasts, etc., but I'm looking for some local advice.

1. I'm not a DIYer. So, any comments/biases/advice on LFSs or other service providers for installation? (Thinking tank on first floor, sump in basement.)

2. Thoughts on 75G versus 90G (standard size, glass)? My bias is towards the 75G because it seems like it would be easier to reach into -- but LFSs and forums tend to push the bigger is better option.

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance you care to provide!

- Jay

gary greguire
01/15/2007, 09:28 PM
my preference is the 75 its not hard to make up 15 gal in the sump...

bosborn1
01/15/2007, 09:39 PM
Going with the 75 would be ok. You could get away with 175 watt Halides instead of 250s. If you need that kind of lighting. Like Gary G says its cheaper and easier to make up that watervolume in the sump.
Good Luck
Scott

tmfuller
01/15/2007, 10:04 PM
i'll give you a good reason to go 75 gal.i'll be putting mine up for sale this weekend.the tank and stand are only 1 old and i'll let it go for $150.i also have a hamilton dual 175w mh with 4 55w pc's dual ballasts 1 for mh and 1 for pc's looking for $275,proclear 150 wet/dry $150 with pump and built in skimmer,cpr large fug.75 with pump and light $75.i'll sell the whole setup for $500.sorry if i highjacked the thread

Ellery
01/15/2007, 10:06 PM
Yeah if you'd like to check my setup or anybody else's for setup configurations you're welcome to it I'm sure.

Yeah the main difference between the 2 is the 90gal is a high tank and would require more intense lighting. Also deoends on what you want to keep.

Make sure you go with a reef ready tank - Perfecto is typically alittle cheaper too since it comes with the overflow kits while AGA does not. As far as a sump goes if you put it in the basement you'll need a pretty strong pump. But you can make the sump as big as you want depending on the amount of room available in the basement.

As far as size goes that's really up to you there really isn't than much of a price difference between 75 vs 90.

You can save alot on the setup if you find one someone else is selling on the forum and ordering the equipment online. If you need a hand let me know.

Ellery

jimmer
01/16/2007, 01:24 AM
all depends on what you plan on keeping as far as the lights go.175 watters will work just fine for a 90 gallon sps tank.

jfl14609
01/16/2007, 06:24 AM
I used to have a 75 gallon and upgraded to a 90 gallon and I think its a huge difference the height is awesome. you are more than welcome to come and see mine to get an idea what they look like set up. on a good note if you do decide to go with a 75 if you ever decide to upgrade all you need is the tank itself it will use the same stand and canopy both tanks have the same footprint