PDA

View Full Version : upgrading my 26 gallon tank to a 46

JonLatham
01/15/2007, 03:33 PM
Last week I upgraded my tank from a 26 gallon to a 46 gallon tank. The live sand and water from the 26 gallon tank had been in use for about a year. I had to throw away my old live rock due to a huge outbreak of red algea that I could not contain.

Five days ago I bought the new tank and transferred all of the old water / sand and added about 20 new gallons of water, one bag of live sand and 40 pounds of cured fiji live rock. I also have added my four fish to the tank and two pieces of coral.

So far three of the fish look healthy and only one is stressed out. The corals look the same as they did in the old tank. I have just tested my water and the nitrates are reading 20 and my ammonia is reading .50. All of the other levels are right on mark. I figure that the nitrates and ammonia levels are high because the live rock was not completely cured.

So here is my question... When should I do my first water change? I want to ensure that the tank cycles properly and don't want to goof anything up.

Also what is the general consensus for lighting a tank this large. Right now I have a Corallife 150 metal halide mounted lamp.Wich covers most of the tank except for about five inches in the upper corners where my protein skimmer sit and also my power filter. I think this would be sufficient but I recently spoke to some at my lfs who said I should switch to power compact lighting. Please give me your feedback.

Thanks