PDA

View Full Version : How do I automatically dose CA and ALK?

fluidimagery
01/14/2007, 10:35 PM
I ordered but returned the calc reactor I was going to use on my new 140g system. I've decided to dose like I am used to doing on my current 45g system.

What do I need and how do I go about dosing CA and ALK on my system automatically?

I'm aware of making a homemade version of B-Ionic's 2 part but for now I'm going to stick with their product and use the gallon containers.

Thanks

New_Noob
01/14/2007, 10:39 PM
What type of tank will you be setting up? a softie tank? an SPS tank or a mixed tank? IMO you dont need to dose any calcium additives unless your running an SPS tank, weekly water changes will replace any trace elements lost to coral growth in a mixed reef. but the best way to dose calcium and keep it stable is with a calcium reactor or by dripping kalkwasser as topoff water.

fluidimagery
01/14/2007, 10:46 PM
I'll be keeping a dominantly SPS tank along with some clams once the tank matures a bit.

frederickk
01/15/2007, 07:28 AM
Then you might need a calcium reactor.

Navyblue
01/15/2007, 09:05 AM
If you have enough SPS and clams dripping kalk may not cut it, you will need occasional boost with two parts. Calcium reactor would be the best choice, it saves you a lot more work too.

wrassie86
01/15/2007, 12:37 PM
Why not get your self a Aquamedic reef doser to do your 2 part.there around $200 and can be programmed for what ever doses.I have recently removed my CA reactor and will be ordering the triple doser.

bubblethumper
01/15/2007, 01:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8986671#post8986671 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wrassie86
Why not get your self a Aquamedic reef doser to do your 2 part.there around $200 and can be programmed for what ever doses.I have recently removed my CA reactor and will be ordering the triple doser. Just thought I'd relay my experience with the Aquamedic doser:

1. Didn't dose my two part additive in equal parts despite equal settings
2. The pumps have a very flimsy plastic nipple that broke off when I tried to add a longer hose (from the pump to tank).

I'm going to go with a litermeter next time.

rooroo
01/15/2007, 03:28 PM
I use an Aquamedic topoff system (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AQ4513) to top off evaporation with kalkwasser. I have it hooked up to my aquacontroller to turn on a few times a day. I have to dose kalkwasser as my alkalinity and calcium drops between bi-weekly water changes, even without a heavily stocked reef (all LPS and softies). This may not be enough dosing for you with an SPS reef, but if you increase evaporation in your tank you can add more kalkwasser. It drips slowly so it works well for me.

You may also consider a kalk reactor rather than a calcium reactor. Works off kalk mix instead of the calcium reactor media and requires no co2 injection.

I think a general statement that you don't need to dose calcium and alkalinity additives if you're doing water changes is untrue as everyones tank is different and some tanks have more trouble maintaining alkalinity and calcium than others.