PDA

View Full Version : BTA Anemone driving me crazy

Norboo
01/14/2007, 12:42 PM
I had my Rose Bubble Tip Anemone for two weeks and we’ve been fighting as to where he should reside. He keeps moving to the back of the tank behind the rock works and attaches himself to the overflow box. I can’t see him and it is really hard for me to feed him. Water flow is minimal and lights are bright there.

I tried to create similar places for him to settle, but he keeps moving back.

He is very healthy, eats well, most of all very stubborn. Guess he got that from my side of the family.

What can I do to find an acceptable place for the both of us? I just want to be able to see him and feed him with ease.

Whisperer
01/14/2007, 01:06 PM
Try epoxy glue. :rollface: Just kidding.
He decides where to stay, not u. :D. Leave him be. He will go where he is most confortable at.
My BTA (not rose, tho) went under the rockwork pnly to emerge at the top. Then he went to the other side of the tank then back to the other end where he got sucked by the powerhead and that's it. He is now VERY comfortable in the big ocean. Oh well. Please make sure this does not happen to yours. :(

Norboo
01/14/2007, 01:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8979047#post8979047 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Whisperer
Try epoxy glue. :rollface: Just kidding.
He decides where to stay, not u. :D. Leave him be. He will go where he is most confortable at.
My BTA (not rose, tho) went under the rockwork pnly to emerge at the top. Then he went to the other side of the tank then back to the other end where he got sucked by the powerhead and that's it. He is now VERY comfortable in the big ocean. Oh well. Please make sure this does not happen to yours. :(

Not acceptable.

I will try and blow him out of that area and move to another place.

I will try rearranging the rock works and water flow.

hansonfam
01/14/2007, 02:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8979109#post8979109 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Norboo
Not acceptable.

I will try and blow him out of that area and move to another place.

I will try rearranging the rock works and water flow.

What part is not acceptable?
The more you move him the more stressed it will become and the more likely it will die.It has only been there 2 weeks and you have moved it several times. Let it be for a little while and many times they will move on there own. He needs to acclimitize to the lights and what not.Just make sure your powerheads are covered so if he does move it will not get sucked in to one.

paulallen
01/14/2007, 02:25 PM
acclimitize

Wha???? :lol: :lol:

Whisperer
01/14/2007, 02:30 PM
We know what he means and should not be ridiculed or laughed at. This is not a spelling bee nor grammar school.

hansonfam
01/15/2007, 01:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8979574#post8979574 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by paulallen

What is really ironic about you writing that is that you couldn't even spell WHAT right. So before you go critizing everyone else maybe look at yourself first.

Whisperer We know what he means and should not be ridiculed or laughed at. This is not a spelling bee nor grammar school.

And i am a she:) But thank-you for saying something for me on my behalf.

Lisa

reefshadow
01/15/2007, 02:09 AM
I agree with the idea that it should stay put for now and maybe in the future, once it is fully acclimatized to the conditions in your tank you could attempt moving it again.

I imagine it sucks to buy a nice specimin and then not be able to see it very well, but moving takes alot of reserves out of these animals and it just needs to settle in for now.

Good luck! :)

AquaReeferMan
01/15/2007, 02:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8979574#post8979574 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by paulallen

Boy not even the 2 smiley faces gave the "Im joking" part away. Everyone needs to calm down. Is there no more sarcasm or rib poking on the internet anymore??

Any way back to the subject. I would just leave the nem alone. When I first got my GBTA it roamed and roamed a lot. I didnt move it because I knew it was going to do so. If you keep moving it, its just going to keep moving back until its comfortable or is stressed to death. Let it *acclimate* to its new environment.

cartouche
01/15/2007, 07:32 AM
I lost my first BTA as he dissapeared for a week then emerged to wander - moved and was sucked up into the powerheads, then my second purple tipped white malu just didn't take and shrivelled and died (my pair of percs didn't take to him either). I missed having a BTA so I bought another one on impulse which to be honest looked rather dull, didn't have any great expectations, put him in, easy to feed, stayed put, and he's growing into a magnificent specimen!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1019097

All in all - I guess there is a certain amount of pot luck involved but what I have learned is that if they decide to go somewhere that you wouldn't expect them to go then leave it be! its probably recovering from stress etc - so the more you move it, the bigger the viscous circle!

Although be prepared for it to wander once its settled - hence keep an eye on all inlets.

dc
01/15/2007, 08:23 AM
*AHEM*

At most I would change the direction of my powerheads. And just leave him be. You can feed it with a turkey baster. Just shoot the food in it's direction when you fee the tank.

Whisperer
01/15/2007, 07:02 PM
see below. Sorry double post. It's Lisa's fault :D

Whisperer
01/15/2007, 07:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8984396#post8984396 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hansonfam
Whisperer We know what he means and should not be ridiculed or laughed at. This is not a spelling bee nor grammar school.

And i am a she:) But thank-you for saying something for me on my behalf.

Lisa

You're welcome buddy! :lol: J/k Lisa...she....(Gosh, maybe we should have a code in our handle so we avoid this mistake :rollface: )

Wrench
01/15/2007, 07:19 PM
Yeah mine decided to hide in the back of the tank too. His body stretched out when the lights are on and I can see maybe 2" of it's tentacles. I've just dealt with it but it may be time to try and "convince" it to move.

hansonfam
01/15/2007, 07:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8990105#post8990105 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Whisperer
You're welcome buddy! :lol: J/k Lisa...she....(Gosh, maybe we should have a code in our handle so we avoid this mistake :rollface: )

hahahahah....:)
To funny:lol: