PDA

View Full Version : Emperor Angels

t5Nitro
01/13/2007, 09:15 PM
Do these fish nip at any coral? I have SPS, 1 open brain, soft corals, and 2 clams.

BigBadBlenny
01/13/2007, 09:23 PM
Pomacanthus imperator

Quick Stats: Emperor Angelfish
Family: Pomacanthidae
Range: Central, Western Pacific Oceans; Red Sea
Size: Up to 15 inches
Diet: Omnivore
Tank Set-up: Marine: Coral or rock, plants
Reef Compatible: With caution
Tank Conditions: 72-78ºF; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4
Minimum Tank Capacity: 100 gallon
Light: High
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Swimming Level: No specific level
Care Level: Moderate
Reproduction: Egg Scatterer

The adult Emperor Angelfish, also known as the Imperator Angel, has a bold, blue body covered with bright yellow horizontal stripes culminating in a bright yellow to orange caudal fin. A striking blue-black mask covers the eyes and a similarly-colored vertical band extends from the pectoral fin two-thirds of the way up the body. This band is highlighted in a sapphire-blue in front, and bright yellow, caudally. The mouth is white. The juvenile is black with circular white and blue stripes starting at the tail. Although sought after for its colors, in an aquarium setting, the adult coloration may not be as striking or brilliant, and the color transition from juvenile to adult, may not be complete. Supplementing the diet with vitamins and color-enhancing foods may help.

The Emperor Anglefish requires a 100 gallon or larger tank with live rock for grazing and hiding. It will nip at stony and soft corals (sessile invertebrates) and clam mantles, but may be kept with small-polyped stony corals and somewhat noxious soft corals.

It should be fed a diet of Spirulina, marine algae, high-quality angelfish preparations, mysid or frozen shrimp, and other meaty items.

triggerfish1976
01/13/2007, 09:26 PM
Juveniles will be less prone to nip most corals than adults and may be trained to keep nipping at a minimum as they grow but the open brain and clams are open game. Zoa's, xenia, and other fleshy LPS are also at HIGH risk.

t5Nitro
01/13/2007, 09:32 PM
So probably stay away from them for a reef with all types of coral? (LPS, SPS, soft, and clams)

What about putting in 1 more true percula clown?
I have a current one in there for a few months, if I would put both of them in the 125 at the same time, would they still fight or pair?

BigBadBlenny
01/14/2007, 01:14 AM
if you add them at the same time they should be just fine. try and get one thats either bigger or smaller than the one you have. not sure how to tell the difference but if you get a boy and girl they do spawn in captivity.

what else are you adding to the new tank? going from 46 gal to 120 opens many doors

t5Nitro
01/14/2007, 01:32 AM
Well 125 gallon, so it is 6' instead of 4' long. Going with 1 other tang (achilles or powder blue) to go with my yellow one now, and thought about a school of anthias, around 3 of them or so. Then I have my clown, but it would be better to have a pair of them.

BigBadBlenny
01/14/2007, 01:39 AM
nice. check out www.reefvideos.com if you havent been there before. click on carl's tank its the picture with the hawk fish at the top left corner. he has a big achilles

dwake
01/14/2007, 01:40 AM
I have had a juvenile Emperor for 3+ years in my reef tank and he has been a model citizen. Only picks on the Haddoni carpet anemone, but the clownfish protects it. It is risky, but I've been lucky. Tank includes SPS, LPS, Leather, Gorgonian, mushrooms and clams. All is well.

triggerfish1976
01/14/2007, 09:26 AM
dwake,

Do tyou mean that your emperor has not turned into an adult in the three years that you have had it and still shows juveline colors?

dwake
01/14/2007, 12:49 PM
Almost, it is changing now. It started about 9months ago and is just past 1/2 way (a guestimate).

t5Nitro
01/14/2007, 03:39 PM
Alright thanks, when the 125 gets set up, I am going to find a small true percula clown and put the two in at the same time, along with 2 tangs (achilles and yellow). Later when filtration is upgraded and more rock is in the tank, I will put in 3 dispar anthias :D

triggerfish1976
01/14/2007, 07:21 PM
Achilles are tough fish to keep. They require high levels of oxygen and obscene amounts of water flow at laest 20-30 x water turnover per hour so I would recommend the yellow tang.

JVHam
01/14/2007, 07:27 PM
The only successful tank that I have seen with a long term achilles was a 250gal with 50x turnover. They need a lot of flow and a large protein skimmer to keep the water o2 rich.

t5Nitro
01/14/2007, 08:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8981614#post8981614 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by triggerfish1976
Achilles are tough fish to keep. They require high levels of oxygen and obscene amounts of water flow at laest 20-30 x water turnover per hour so I would recommend the yellow tang.
Already have the yellow tang.

supervdl
01/14/2007, 08:26 PM
I had an Achilles and he unfortunately did not make it. Seems a hard to keep fish, since it is the only major casualty that I had since I started my reef two years ago.

t5Nitro
01/14/2007, 08:33 PM
Powder Blue Tangs are easier?

triggerfish1976
01/15/2007, 08:55 AM
I generally don't see PBT needing the same water conditions as I noted above for the Achilles but they are difficult to keep in their own right. They can get very agressive and are prone to ich outbreaks so if you have had problems with ich in the past and do not QT your fish then I would not recommend them.