PDA

View Full Version : Please explain difference, pro/cons of wet/dry filtration versus sump versus refuguim

perrygreene
01/13/2007, 03:42 PM
I have a 400 gallon tank that I am setting up. I want to do it cost effective. I am starting it as a FO and then in a year or so change to corals. I want the set up to be able to go from to the other with minimal of changes.

My LFS guy said do a wet/dry. I have a sump for my office that has live rock. No corals as of yet.

Also, what kind of skimmer would be good? the height on my cabinet is 30".

BeanAnimal
01/13/2007, 04:40 PM
If you are going to do this with the intention of setting up a reef, then you will want to skip the wet dry filter. Use Live Rock for you biological filtration and filter socks for mechanical. You do not need to BUY a bunch lof live rock. Good base rock will work just as well. It will become "live" over time.

Wet/dry filters can become nitrate problems. The LR is a much better choice and form of nitrate reduction.

When it comes time to go REEF, you can add a skimmer and refugium.

Search the forums for FOWLR (fish only with live rock) and visit the fish only forum.

Subrstrate will be another decision you wil have to make.

Hope that gets you started.

perrygreene
01/13/2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks for your reply. I was trying to avoid a purchase of live rock at this time because based on most calculations I would need anywhere from 400 lbs to 600 lbs. Can I get bye on less with a FO?

I was going to do a skimmer now and a uv sterilizer. Is there anything else I need?

BeanAnimal
01/13/2007, 05:20 PM
Yes. You can use reeferrocks.com or hirocks etc to get beautiful porous base rack. Seed it with a few poinds of live rock. Build your bioload up slowely and the rock will mature as the tank does. Add rock over time if needed. A power filter can be purchased now if you want mechanical and media filtration for the FO. You can also DIY a Wet/dry if you really want one. When you start adding corals and diversity to the tank you can slowely start removing the media and then the wet/dry all together. Some thought with some tupperware and bioballs will go a long way!

Bean