PDA

View Full Version : Fish For Reef Tank *Hiding Behind Rocks*.

saltwatergal2
01/12/2007, 07:13 AM
I have a 57 gal reef tank
I have alot of rocks 100 lbs. with 60 lbs of sand.
Right now I have a pair of O. clownfish. 1 fairy wrasse and a foxface I am taking out the foxface today.
The tank is a display tank with some soft corals.
cleaner shrimp, crabs and snails.
My problem is that everytime someone goes up to the tank.
The clownfish and the foxface along with the fairy wrasse go and hide behind the rocks. All the fish are healthy and eating good.
The only time they come out is for food.
I decided to take back my rabbit fish since he is always hiding in the back. I know I have alot of rock work, but I was wondering if you could recommend something that I could put in the tank that would go in a reef tank and not hide everytime you approach the tank behind the rocks.
I would appreciate any feedback.
Flustrated over just looking at rocks and coral. In other words something more free swimming, that is not so scared all the time, that can be put in a reef tank.
Thanks
Judy:confused:

jmaneyapanda
01/12/2007, 09:07 AM
what you are desrcibing is normal and healthy. once the fish get more comfortable, they will be out in the open more. not allowing them places to hide will cause them much stress, and will lead to health problems in the future. If they are healthy, happy, and eating, leave them be. That is my advise.

rodd1rj
01/12/2007, 09:49 AM
Blue/green chromis are also known to help shy fish come out of hiding.

DiViNeLeFT
01/12/2007, 11:15 AM
i added a pajama cardinal a few weeks ago and noticed it hardly ever goes into the rockwork. he usually hangs out at the top of the tank in open water. my clowns use to hide in the rocks alot but now will eat out of my hand if i hold food in the tank. how long have these fish been in the tank? consider the fact in the ocean there are predators around every corner it might take a while for the fish to realize they are in a predator free environment. their instinct tells them to hide.

saltwatergal2
01/12/2007, 12:01 PM
I Appreciate Your Feedbacks.
The fish have been in the tank for about 6 weeks.
I have another setup that is a 55 gal. I have one maroon clownfish in their which swims all over the place.
It doesn't have as much rocks.
I feel that the fish all copy each other in my 57 gal tank.
I know the wrasse usually swims in and out of the rocks. I just can't understand why the O, Clowns don't swim all over like my maroon does. The Foxface I believe is the main one that keeps them scared. His personality is more timid.
Any more feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
Judy

Tomoko Schum
01/12/2007, 01:47 PM
Hi Judy,

I have had a similar problem in my 120G up until just recently. My foxface rabbit was almost always hiding and my various cardinals tended to hide as well. They weren't as bad at the beginning. My foxface was always out nibbling his favorite red bubble algae and other fish were out and about, too. Then my foxface ate up all the red bubble algae (and other algae) and stopped coming out of the rocks. I lost a number of cardinals (with a vodka trial) and they started hiding, too. Other fish also started hiding when people approach the tank.

I think you are thinking in the right direction. A fish or two with an outgoing personality probably helps bringing them out of the rocks.

Here's what happened with my tank recently. During this Christmas, my daughter brought home a Royal Gramma. He is staying out in the open more and some fish started coming out. I also added a few more cardinals (apogon leptacanthus) to form a larger school which seems to have helped. They started coming out to check out each other more.

If I sit a few feet away from the tank and wait a minute or two, everyone seems to come out now. As long as I don't disturb them with a quick movement, they seem to hang out in the open. I hope they will stay this way. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Tomoko

saltwatergal2
01/13/2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback.
Well I took back the foxface. Had to remove just about all the rocks to get him. I took out 30 lbs of base rock. I still have about 70 lbs of live rock.
I purchased a bi-color blenny which is in the rock. Then I purchased a coral beauty. So far everyone is going in and out of the rocks. Still no fish in the front swimming around. My problem is that this tank is in the waiting room for my piano lessons.
Kids come right up to the tank and look to see what is in the tank.
Of course all they see is rocks, and the cleanup crew.
My Ocellairs clowns swim mostly in the corner or at the top. They come out when it is time to eat. Any more suggestions for free swimming fish?
Appreciate more feedback.
Thanks
Judy

Sheol
01/13/2007, 11:03 AM
After I moved my tank my False perc hid behind the rockwork for nearly two months. Now she is back in the Xenia & the big green 'shroom, biting the hand that feeds her when I have to clean the glass.
IME, clowns without a host are a bit shy. Fortunately, mine will host in anything even remotely related to an anemone, so I don't plan on buying one.
Anyway, its normal for reeffish to hide in the reef. No cause for alarm.

Matthew

saltwatergal2
01/13/2007, 11:39 AM
Appreciate Feedback.
I can't get pair of ocellaris to host in my bubble tip anemone.
How did you get your clowns to host? I have Xenia they don't seem interested.
Rather swim in the corner near the top.
I just got the bubble tip anemone so it might take a few days.
I have a feeling they will not host in anything.
Any Feedback Appreciated.

three-spot
01/13/2007, 02:11 PM
6 weeks IMHO is nowhere near long enough for your fish to get used to seeing you. Most clowns are tank raised and therefor have no idea what an anemone is or what it's for. Not to mention that nems have very poor survival rates in captivity.

hgbarwick
01/13/2007, 04:19 PM
whats your lighting on your tank? Anenomes do best under MH lights.

BigBadBlenny
01/13/2007, 04:33 PM
this is where a qt tank really helps. i have had fish go through a quarentine tank and fish that havent. there is a huge difference. the fish that have been through qt will stay out and actually eat out of my gloved hand, while the others scatter and hide once i get near the tank.. try it out it works. plus it enables you to detect any problems with the fish before they go into your main tank.

chris.hampton
01/13/2007, 05:39 PM
Like Tomoko Schum said you could try sitting in front of the tank for a while so they can get used to seeing you, they will soon find out that you don't want to eat them!!

saltwatergal2
01/13/2007, 09:10 PM
Good Feedbacks.
I can't help but sit in front of the tank already.
Kids though walk right up to it and touch the glass to point.
That is what spooks the fish.
I will put a small sign on the glass to not touch the glass. You know kids when you are not around they tend to forget. Also children under age 5 can't read.
Thought I would point that out.
Appreciate All Feedbacks.
Thanks.
Judy

xxtriggermanxx
01/13/2007, 09:58 PM
you could train both your fish and your students at the same time. offer the younger students a chance to feed your fish if they obey the rules of no tapping on the glass. the kids will stop tapping and the fish will recognize the children as a food source and come out more......

McCrary
01/13/2007, 10:31 PM
Fish that are comfortable in their environment seem to be more comfortable with human interaction. Give the fish time to adjust to their surroundings. I was petting a yellow tang today, it just takes time for fish to come around. After a few months you can even start to train them to take food from your hand.

chris.hampton
01/14/2007, 06:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8975318#post8975318 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TurboSnail8898
I was petting a yellow tang today

:lol: I think if i read that anywhere else i would have thought it was weird but it just seems like the norm around here!! :lol:

Sheol
01/16/2007, 10:32 AM
LOL. I tap the food container on my tank as a dinner bell. Every one is out of the rocks in no time.
I cannot remember, but it took them awhile ( this was before the female put a hit on the male) to decide Xenia looked like an anemone. She now uses the Rhodactis mushroom more. Hey, at least it looks like a 'Nem!

Matthew